Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had opportunity to shoot my new .35 Rem Handi this morning. It took 4 shots to "walk in" the scope. Then, shooting 200 gr. RN, and Hornady FTX, they both shoot accurately as well as to the same POI. 8)

When I get the time, I hope to work up some cast loads for it.

I doubled on deer with the maxi last night, so, the .35 is on deck and ready for the rest of the season!

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
All the 35's are wonderful calibers. You need a half dozen more!!

;)

CW

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Oldshooter said:
Just curious? ballistics for the 357 max and the 35 Remington.

F/S at the muzzle and energy.
If your asking from rifles. Pretty close with up to 180's 200's are better from the remmy. It's got the case capacity.

BUT if in a modern action the 35 rem can be safely loaded hotter but quite a bit and the maxi is maxed out. :)

CW

·
Super Moderator
51,503 Posts
I'll leave it up to CW and others to give you some max loads for the Maxi, but the 35 Rem is capable of considerably more when loaded above SAAMI specs in a modern firearm, both loaded to their full potential is kinda like comparing a 30-06 to a 300Win Mag, about 200-300fps difference in muzzle velocity, the old adage "there's no replacement for displacement" in the hot rod world comes to mind, Maxi case capacity is ~32gr water compared to ~51gr for the 35 Rem.

Tim

http://www.suitorsgarage.com/gunstuff/35remington/factoryloadpart1.html

http://www.suitorsgarage.com/gunstuff/35remington/35rempart2.html

Attachments

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Just got a .35 Remington CVA Hunter on clearance at Academy. After some load suggestions from REVBC, it is shooting MOA. Have been hunting with it the last few trips and hope to get something with it soon. I think it is a great caliber for up to 150 yards. Maybe even 200 if you zero it at the right range for MPBR.

Rosewood

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
Thanks cw and Tim, I was just curious how they compared for hunting use. Figgered they were close, and the 35 would get better with the heavier bullets.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
I think of it kinda like the 38Spl vs the 357 Mag and the Mag vs the 357 Max; the Mag can do everything and more than the Spl and the Max can do all the same and more than both of those.
The Remmy can do everything and more than all of them (except be resized with the ever so user friendly carbide dies). It would be, in itself, a great all rounder for me. As it is, since I dont have one, I just have to have more rifles.... :'( .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts