Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just set a post concerning the "little Brown Church in the Vale". I really enjoy seeing those small country churches
as I travel. They seem to offer some comfort and dignity to the landscape.

Beyond that, they are often picturesque, and often over a century old, or more..

I'll start of with my own church.. It was founded in 1827.. the front part as you see it, dates from 1847.

If one climbs up the bell tower and views above the ceiling..they will see the remnants of the roof of the log church, built in the 1820s.

We are growing, so the rear portion, behind the highest ridgeline, is the new build of the last couple years.

Photos, courtesy my son's photo studio..and his drone service.

How about it..any country church photos you want to share...Small neighborhood churches , even in a city
neighborhood are welcome too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
IG, I grew up in Charles City just 20 miles from The Little Brown Church. It seemed like everybody from our part of the world and their dog got married in that church. I have been there numerous times. Walking in that place wasn't appreciated when I was a kid but now that I'm seasoned, over ripe or something I really like going there. It's like walking into Church with the Waltons!

·
Registered
16,175 Posts
Thank you IG and GPA, yes, there were many who prayed their way across the prairies, rivers and streams, I hold them in esteem and look forward to meeting them on the other side.
You two, of course , are among those who make GBO worth visiting.

I always enjoy seeing your wonderful church, and to hear it is growing is very good to know.
blessings

·
Registered
42,142 Posts
Compared to my Church, that is not a small country Church. CHARLIE. :tango_face_grin:

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
I didn't get a picture, but we saw a beautiful little church in the ranch country of north Florida.
I'm sure it was from the 1800's.

·
Registered
16,175 Posts
On the frontier often the only book in the home was the Bible, the young were taught to read with the Bible, they are the generations who built this nation, we have gotten away from raising them up in the way they should go and the result is apparent.
blessings

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Compared to my Church, that is not a small country Church. CHARLIE. :tango_face_grin:
I rather expected that Charlie..but that is good..the Lord thrives everywhere he is honored.

Do you have any photos ?

There is a particularly beautiful little country church about 20 miles from my house, which I saw for the first time last summer. It is hidden in a wooded area, far off the beaten path..I'll have to get a pic.

·
Registered
42,142 Posts
I rather expected that Charlie..but that is good..the Lord thrives everywhere he is honored.

Do you have any photos ?

There is a particularly beautiful little country church about 20 miles from my house, which I saw for the first time last summer. It is hidden in a wooded area, far off the beaten path..I'll have to get a pic.

PETE. No, I wouldn't know how to post them if I did. CHARLIE:tango_face_surprise

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At risk of hijacking my own thread..I do a bit of a sidetrack. While I was serving in Germany so many years ago, I was out with a Jeep on some kind of detail, when I happened to drive through a small city named Idar Oberstein.

There I noticed a very unusual church , tucked back into a big hole in a stone mountain. I didn't have a chance to stop and sight-see..but I remember it very well. Here's some info..then back to small country churches..

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/felsenkirche-crag-church

·
Registered
16,175 Posts
That was great, IG, thank you kindly.
Leads me to so very many questions , how a country with such a rich heritage of faith was used to perpetrate ww2.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts