Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a member of only 2 of these forums.
On the 'other place' there is a recent post form a man who says that he is under supernatural attack.
This poor man is awakened from a deep sleep by what he thinks is Satan attacking him in his sleep trying to get into his mind.
He said he tried reading the Bible and praying to no avail and the only way he got any piece was to SING PRAISES to god all night long.
Hmmmmm. I suggested in a very mild way that he might want to seek professional help as it sounds as though the poor man has a disorder of some sort.
Well the fundamentalists ripped me up for that.
He was given all sorts of simple minded advice including shouting for the devil to flee in the name of Jesus over and over until the devil runs for the hills.
The poor sufferer is not the only person with a disorder me thinks.
Listen up folks. Being awakened from a deep sleep thinking Satan is attacking your mind is symptomatic of a deep problem.
I'm well educated, trained and have considerable experience in dealing with disorders of the mind.
I don't have a degree to practice, but I'm trained in recognizing these things and the sufferer has a condition that requires professional help.
For 22 years I delt with uncountable numbers of mentally ill people and its almost universal that paranoid schizophrenics have a god/jesus/satan fixation.
Schizophrenics often see Elivs or Moses, or president Lincoln but the paranoid schizos do the god/jesus/devil thing. I don't know why that is.
Anyway the 'fundo's' are feeding into this guys illness and are not helping him one bit.
I ended with suggesting he seek out a qualified Christian counelor or at least a hospital chaplan.
A TRAINED and EDUCATED minister would likely spot this guys condition also but a self proclaimed born again fundo is doing him no good at all.
Any and all thought are welcome.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Jeager,

You do not need an opinion you need an intervention strategy. As the afflicted poster, is but as user name on a forum, he is beyond your help. I do not believe in demonic possession and feel that those who do are merely feeding this poor mans delusions further. I feel the only intervention on your part is to hope/pray, that someone in personal contact with this individual gets him the help/medication he needs.

My experience has been that those “possessed by demons”, and who subsequently have them “cast out”, often become “avenging angels” or “messiahs”, and dangerous to themselves and or others.

May your God be with you and you with your God

jon

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fe352v8 said:
Jeager,

You do not need an opinion you need an intervention strategy. As the afflicted poster, is but as user name on a forum, he is beyond your help. I do not believe in demonic possession and feel that those who do are merely feeding this poor mans delusions further. I feel the only intervention on your part is to hope/pray, that someone in personal contact with this individual gets him the help/medication he needs.

My experience has been that those “possessed by demons”, and who subsequently have them “cast out”, often become “avenging angels” or “messiahs”, and dangerous to themselves and or others.

FE:
Of course you are right. This is why I suggested the afflicted person seek out a qualified Christian counselor who could see his dementia and perhaps persuade him to seek help.
Unfortunately the fundamentalists beat me up and fed into the delusional mans illness.
The heck of it most of the fundos that fed into the afflicted persons dementia are prelatively educated men.
Go figure!?
jon

·
Registered
601 Posts
My opinion? You did what you could already. I agree the guys got a problem.
I'm not trained in anything but working in construction but its my opinion the devil doesnt work like that. Why would he? No I think he works in more subtle but much more effective ways. Those he afflicts dont know it.
Now that doesn't mean God cant help the fellow. The fact that we have shrinks to help people work these things out is due to God.
God helps those who help themselves. He should go get help.

·
Administrator
26,058 Posts
Maybe he "really is" being attacked by the devil.

Guys you can't have it both ways. If you believe there is in fact a GOD and Jesus you must also believe there is a devil. If you believe all of these things then how can you toss out the stories of possession by demons who were cast out by Jesus himself?

Perhaps more of the things we modern men assume to be mental depression and call by a variety of names is in fact no more than just that possession by a demon spirit.

I sure don't profess to have any answers, only questions. But I do believe there is a living GOD and that Jesus is his Son and that the devil does exist that that he can take over the minds and bodies of humans and do strange and not good things to them. If you do now I have to wonder is there any thing of GOD's word you do believe?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Oh I believe the devil exists & I believe in God & Jesus as well.
Jesus healed all sorts of folks & maybe the "posessed" ones were merely suffering from diseases of the mind. I feel its important to remember the context of where in our history this all happened. At the time anyone who suffered a mental trouble was posessed, we now know that not to be the case.

That said I can be wrong & he may well be posessed by the devil.
I tend to see the devils work in the huge evils of the world. Genocide, mass murders & evil empires like the one we toppled in Iraq where the devils still hanging on. I see the devils work in our own country as well but my kid wants to paint the canoe so I'll not elaborate now. :D

·
Registered
700 Posts
The Devil made me do it?

Man as a creature of free will chooses to do what is right or what is wrong. If one does not have the capacity to make the choice then one is incompetent.

If one allows for the concept of demonic possession, against ones will, then one has to allow for a concept of salvation against ones will.

Can one who rejects Christ, and refuse to acknowledge their sins, and repent of their sins be “saved” in the Christian sense, against their will?

May your God be with you and you with your God

Jon

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Naw he ain't being attacked by the devil. He's a paranoid scizophrenic or on his way.
Mental disorders happen to all sorts of people and God or the devil have nothing to do with it.
People get hit by trains, killed by lightning and it has nothing to do with religion at all.
Even the Catholics who occasionally admit to practicing exorcism will tell you demonic possession is a very rare thing indeed.
If it exists at all.

·
Registered
108 Posts
fe352v8

Only through Christ can one have salvation, so the bible tells us. One cannot be saved against one's will. The Lord our God rewards the faithful, not the faithless. Accept the Lord Jesus as your savior, confess your sins to Him and ask for forgiveness and you shall be forgiven. This is one's only protection from Satan. Without the Grace of the Lord we are like a rudderless ship on the sea, moved by any ill wind that blows. Satan is that ill wind and the Lord is the rudder. There is evil in this world, and it is attributed to Satan, not genes. I don't know anyone that claims to be posessed by Satan, but it is clear that he has great powers of persuasion over man. Faith in the Lord is a choice, Satan just salivates over a man that does not make the right choice or makes no choice at all. One must be strong to keep the faith, and Satan preys on the weak. He tempts all men and uses the weak as his soldiers. This is how I see it, and how I believe it, based on my bible studies. Peace and God bless. Wolfsong

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Well said Wolfsong.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"One must be strong to keep the faith, and Satan preys on the weak. He tempts all men and uses the weak as his soldiers. This is how I see it, and how I believe it, based on my bible studies. Peace and God bless. Wolfsong"

Yup. That pretty much says it all.
If Satan could enter any persons body or mind at any moment then we'd all be in deep doo-doo.
Like I have said many times my hobby isn't so much religion or bible study as it is History of Christianity, however I do believe that the righteous at heart are completely protected from demonic possession especially those 'saved'.
Real cases of "possession" are rare, IF they exist at all.
My trouble critter on the other forum is emotional or mentally disrought at the very least.
Most parnoid scizophrenics have a Jesus/God/Satan fixation.
Sometimes these poor people kill themselves or others to avoid the demonic 'voices' etc. etc. etc. You all have read of this right?
Often the right pcychotropic medication completely restore the afflicted to a state of relative normalcy.
Best they stay out of church though!
:-D

·
Registered
174 Posts
jeager,

You said you only belong to two forums. OK. My question is why would you come here to get ammo to support your view on another forum? You got something against the guy? Or could it be that you didn't find much support for your views over there? Your "trouble critter" as you put it on another forum asked for opinions and you diagnose him based on his short posts without knowing him or even having the credentials to do so.
Someday you may need opinions or support and I pray that you find folks a little more understanding than you appear to be to your "trouble critter".

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
To God Alone Be The Glory!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I discussed it here because I WANTED TO.
And that's good 'nuff reason for me.
If someone posts they are going to jump off a bridge I don't need much information to understand that person is a "troubled critter".
Understand that this site has strict rules and a couple moderators and a site owner that won't put up with the crap and evil back bitting that goes on at the other place.
So I'll behave here and shutup.
But I do believe I can post what I want where I want as long as I'm, on topic and obey the rules without members of 'the other place' following me around.
'Nuff said?
Now let it go. WE had our 'wars' here and nearly lost the thread for less than goes on at the other place.
None of us want to see that happen again.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
as a psych nurse practitioner, with the limited info, I would not say he is a paranoid schizophrenic simply because he is not exhibiting any symptoms of paranoia. If he was he would not be talking on a forum about it. Also if he was that paranoid he would not sleep to avoid the demons coming after him. He would pound caffeine and stay awake for days. It sounds more to me like he is an attention seeker who is spinning a tale for attention. I have worked with SPMI people and I never saw any 2 alike with delusions of God and Elvis. And I neve rmet a schizophrenic who met Honest Abe. Since I do have a license to practice. At most he may have some delusions of grandeur.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
No psychotropic medication returns a person to relative normalcy. They simpl ydull the senses and make the symptoms tolerable. If you can show me any schizophreinc whop was normal on meds, I would show you someone who was not truly schizo, but simply playing the game.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I would say you are welcome if I thought you meant it, but the sarcasm was more noticed. See I dont think you want everyone's opinion you wanted people to agree with you

·
Administrator
26,058 Posts
I might be wrong but I think you misread him Bubba. Don't think he meant it that way at all.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
ok my bad and I apologize

1 - 19 of 19 Posts