Graybeard Outdoors banner

I need some fishy dishes

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  sissysue 
#1 ·
:D I'm home doing the cooking. Ma is out working. I've got plenty of wild game ideas but I'm short on the fish side. She wants me to make some low cal fish dishes. Anybody got a good one I can try? :roll:

#2 ·
Very low cal.

adjusted veggies to how many you intend to feed!!!

Boneless fish filets same here

Course chopped FRESH

Tomatoes

Onion

Garlic

Green Peppers

Jalapeno Peppers

Your favorite brand of Salsa

Salt/Pepper to taste

Place fish in a foil lined pan cover with chopped veggies, then with salsa then with Jalapeno peppers, salt/pepper, cover pan.

Bake at 350-375 for 45 mins for up to 1 1/2 lbs of fish add 10 mins per 1/2 lb fish

we serve it over hot corn bread in soup bowls as it will make lots of broth from the veggies and fish. You controll the "hot" by how much Jalapeno and if your salsa is HOT, MED, or MILD. If you like your stuff REAL HOT put a spoon full of sour cream on the top of each serving it will cool it down for those who don't like it so peppery

#3 ·
Poor man's shrimp/lobster/crab

Rough fish: Fresh water drum, striped bass, white bass, other firm-fleshed fish. Must not be flakey fish as it will fall apart!

Dress fish and remove most of the red line. Cut into finger-sized strips across grain of meat.

Bring to rolling boil pot of water large enough to cook amount of dressed fish. Add favorite crab/shrimp-boil seasoning. Add fish and then bring to rolling boil again. Boil for only three minutes longer, no more!

Remove fish to ice water to stop cooking. Note! Over cooking will toughen fish!

Serve with your favorite red sauce! Mmmm good!

Red Sauce: Catsup, one cup- horse radish to taste- or two tbl. spoons- Worcestershire Sauce-two tbl. spoons, stir and enjoy!

#4 ·
Easy, low-cal fish recipes

Here are a few of our favorite low-cal fish recipes...hope you like 'em!

Easy Salmon Bake

Ingredients:

Salmon fillets (skin on)
Garlic flavored cooking spray
Lemon pepper seasoning

Cut salmon fillets into serving size pieces. Spray foil with garlic flavored cooking spray and place salmon on foil, skin side down. Lightly spray salmon with cooking spray and sprinkle on the lemon pepper seasoning. Loosely wrap foil (so it is easier to open and check), and place on med-low barbeque. Cooking times will vary depending on the thickness of the fillets, so check frequently. Fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.

Grilled Rainbow Trout

Ingredients:

2 (1 lb. each) butterflied ranbow trout, bones removed
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
3 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
2 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, crushed
1 lemon, cut into 6 slices

Preheat grill. Season trout with salt and pepper. Mix together rosemary, oregano, olive oil and garlic in a small bowl. Gently open fish and spread herb mixture evenly across flesh. Lay 3 slices of lemon on one side of each trout and close. Lightly oil grill. Cook trout 4 minutes per side or until skin is crisp and blackened and flesh is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.

Ginger Lime Tuna Steaks

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs. tuna steaks, 3/4 to 1 inch thick
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. finely chopped gingerroot
1/4 tsp. salt
Dash of ground cayenne pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
Lime wedges (optional)

If tuna steaks are large, cut into 6 serving pieces. Mix remaining ingredients except lime wedges in a resealable plastic storage bag. Add fish, turning to coat with marinade. Seal bag and refrigerate, turning once, at least 1 hour but no longer than 24 hours. Heat coals or gas grill. Remove fish from marinade; reserve marinade. Cover and grill fish about 4 inches from medium heat 15 to 20 minutes, brushing 2 or 3 times with marinade and turning once, until fish flakes easily with fork. Discard any remaining marinade. Serve fish with lime wedges.

#6 ·
My other half likes to take fresh clean fish and wrap it in foil with butter lemon and/or juice with the spices that you like and either bake it in the oven or in the coals of a campfire. I like to roll my fish in flour & cornmeal mixture and deep fry it in very hot vegetable oil for about 10 minutes and let it drain on paper towels or a brown paper sack. That will remove all excess oil from the fish. For the batter i mix 50/50 of the flour and cronmeal, the excess mixture will fall off when you go to drop it into the hot oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.