Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took my .223 out yesterday and it did very good :grin: . Once a while back I free floated with the O ring and it didn't do as well when I didn't have the O ring. With out the O ring I always I got sub MOA groups and I was pretty happy. I should of just left it alone right? Yeah but I didn't. I just like to see if I can always get a little more out it. I been thinking about glass bedding the fore end for free floating. So after reloading friday night I got thinking ( didn't someone on this forum use a business card for free floating or thin card board?) Well I took some post card and cut it to fit the fore end channel. I doubled it up and press it and glued it together so it wouldn't open. By the way this is not what I plan on leaving in my fore end it just for experimenting purposes. I made one for behind the barrel stud and stoped about an inch from the rear of the fore end. I made a 1 inch piece to go in front of the barrel stud. My ultra did seem to close a little stiffer but felt good. I went to the range my first shot was 1/2 inch high and the other two were touching. my 2nd and 3 rd three shot groups were .4 and .5... I was shaking my head and smiling saying alright! Just for the heck of it I shot a 3 shot group at the 25 yrd range and they were all pretty much in the same hole (pretty close anyway)

Now I am Debating weather to glass bed or what kind of material i should use. Any suggestions or am I trying to squeeze to much out of my ultra?
But gosh it sure is fun. :-D

Thanks- Norse

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I'm glad my business card trick worked for you. Mine still has the cards sticking out of the forend but I'll trim them one of these days.You might try a bipod now and see if that helps even more.( really helped mine) digger

·
Registered
678 Posts
Norseman,

This is sounding a lot like the trouble I had with my 243, without the forend on is there any movement or rattle in the gun. I can't remember if you had used feeler gauge to check how tight your lock up was. If I remember correctly you should be able to close on but not pull out a .002" feeler, maybe .003" but that would be outside.

I used plasti-gauge and measured a .006" gap. it took a strip of .0045 feeler gauge in the hinge slot to take up the slack. I go the groups down to 1.25-1.5 (not bad for what I was getting and the heavy trigger) , But I sold it off to finance another gun.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aulrich,

My rifle shoots good, its just when I put the free float in it felt tighter to close it, but felt good. I will get some feeler guages though and check it out. Thanks for the info.

Norse

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have used the little card trick as well. When it works I just put some sealer in the card so the moister can't cause it to seprate . A little clear sealer will protect it. I used to use that trick to place pressure points on mostly Remington stocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts