Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was next to a fellow shooter today that got a little to close to the scope on the 45-70 man what a gash in the nose was deep.
I have to say each time he shot that short barrel 45-70 I felt his recoil .I ask him what he was shooting in reloads 350 grainers at 2000 FPS .all I can say he must like PAIN

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
...and a scope with plenty of eye relief!! ;D

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
and a football helmet.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Was it a Handi he was cutting loose with or Marlin lever? My guess after his nose job this afternoon he must be having a few on the rocks to ease the pain. Maybe a sore shoulder also!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Handi SB2 model: I have to say for a little he was stuff I watch him stop the bleeding and finish up shooting the 45-70 .He ad the stock recoil pad on the gun noting more and must of shot 50 rounds that day:Man wonder how the shoulder feels to-day

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
... well, when folks think faster is better - they have to expect the consequences. Especially when they don't do a recoil calculation for this light rifle.
Using BP or smokeless loads in the 1100 - 1300 fps, one can shoot the rifle all day long

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
I love the Remington 405 grain factory load. I can shoot it all day.

It seems to be more than enough for anything I'll ever face.

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
My 45-70 Handi was killing my right shoulder which was bad. I put the Choate Varmit stock and forend on it and the Mueller 2x7 Multi-Shot scope. Can shoot it from the bench with no problems now and the Mueller has plenty of eye relief............

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I like at least 5 inches of eye relief on any thing that can push the shoulder back very much. I had a close encounter with a 6.5 pound scoped 12 gauge slug gun. Thank goodness the eye bell was padded so it did not cut me. It isn't going to happen again. ;)

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
Me too, I just bought a 6lb-6oz Tikka T3 Lite SS 338 Winmag, it's getting a Nikon Omega scope with 5" of eye relief. ;) I've never been bitten by a scope yet and I ain't startin now!! :D

Tim

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I myself have 40 plus years in the sport of shooting I have gotten scuffed by a scope on a mag: rifle but never spilled blood like some guys I have seen:Way back in the middle 70's I will never forget this one I see a guy with a 300 mag: get cold cocked and ;They called the volunteer fire dept to take him to the hospital this guy was in bad shape.
I never like them sharp recoil rifle .
I like the 243,7x57 Mauser,25-06,30-30, 35 marlin ,308.30-06 8 MM Mauser opp almost for got had a REM: 6.5 mag
The 2 other rifle which I did have and sold was a 7MM Mag: 270Win:
I love to watch guys shoot them 12 Ga 3" slug gun after a few round pad or no pad

·
Registered
19 Posts
Never got a scope kiss yet either thankfully. Was getting too used to 15 lb 30-06 rifles and pussycat kicks, and a Stevens 200 in 308 taught me how to be humble again. Just enough to touch my brow, but still...I wouldn't have believed it if someone had told me that was a 308 Win and I hadn't known better. Have some 500 grain SP @1700 and 350 grain SP @ 2250 in 45/70 that a friend did up, but...I'm a sissy. They were stiff kickers in a Marlin. I hate to use harsh letters gents but son of a B I don't wanna know how they handle in a Buff :D

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
Recoil abatement is real easy on a wood stocked H&R, the stock bolt hole is a great place for lead, either shot, dead mule or a mercury recoil suppressor, which is the best choice, I've used the lead and the MRS, a 16oz suppressor works better than half again more dead weight. Adding a leather recoil pad to the BC is another good option, I've shot 555gr cast bullets at just shy of 1800fps in of my 45-120 BC with just a PAST shoulder pad between me and the Galco pad, it's stout, but managable if you shoot in an upright position so your upper body can move much like it would if shooting offhand. Shooting at game you'll never notice the recoil, I shoot an 835 Ultimag for turkey hunting, 3½" magnum, 2oz loads have about 70lbs recoil which is about the same as the 458 Lott, never notice the recoil, but when patterning it, I shoot standing using a tall bipod, and even then it's a killer on both ends. :-\

Tim

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
i tired that new Sims recoil pad that's suppose to reduce muzzle jump and it helped a lot on my 300win mag. it keeps the Bushnell with a little over 3.5inch eye relief out of my eye.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quick- can you post a link to the mercury surpressor that you recommend. I shoot a Ultra with the factory laminate monte carlo. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts