Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.......but it is different from those I have seen before. Much bigger checkering patter on the wrist, and it is blond. Take a look-see and maybe give me a heads up on exactly what I have?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270484475471&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I think (uh-oh) I am going to strip it and stain it brown with a satin finish.

By the way, it will be going on a nickled receiver with a barrel re-bored to .338-06. I can't decide if I should use a .25-06 Ultra barrel or a SS .30-06 barrel for the rebore. The Ultra is longer, but the SS gives me a fairly weatherproof rifle, nice for elk in the Blue Mountains here in Washington. Waddayathink?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wtroger said:
Talk to your Smith on the rebore 308 to 338 only gives you a .030 .015 on each side. They (Smiths) usually like a little more meat to play with.
I am not really sure where you got this info, but .308 to .338 is a pretty standard rebore. Check around.

·
Premium Member
9,713 Posts
I saw it, but didn't bid on because the forend looked squared off at the frame end and wouldn't fit a Handi. It is pretty. I have saved searches on ebay for "Handi Rifle" and "H&R NEF" I usually get a couple of items a day to look at.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I don't think that stock is laminated, I think it is a blond hardwood stock, I've seen a few around, probably folks that have stripped the stain off them, bur it looks really nice, would hate to use the term pallet wood on that one.

The forend is just missing the spacer, that is why it looks squared off on the end.

Good luck with the 338, I have a project sitting in the safe that is an old Sears Model 51 Husqvarna small ring in 30-06 that someone shot a bunch of corrosive ammo in and didn't clean. Barrel bore looks like a sewer tube. I was hoping to go 8mm-06 with it, but the gunsmith said with pitting and the like smallest he would offer was 338-06. Don't have the cash right now....story of my life.

regards,
graycg

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was "thinkin" it might be maple, just not fiddleback. When you blow the picture up, it sure looks like grain and not lamination. We will all know pretty soon, as it was shipped two days ago! ;D

The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to go for the SS barrel with a rebore to .338-06. It would give me a great elk rifle, and with my nickled receiver I wouldn't have to worry too much about snow or rain. I usually give guns that will see weather a good coat of Johnson's Paste Wax as well, especially where wood meets metal.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Blond wood, nickel receiver and stainless barrel...now all you need is a nice silver scope in a silver dednutz mount....and maybe a white leather sling like I had on my M-1 back at the academy!

regards,
Graycg

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Graycg said:
Blond wood, nickel receiver and stainless barrel...now all you need is a nice silver scope in a silver dednutz mount....and maybe a white leather sling like I had on my M-1 back at the academy!

regards,
Graycg
That combination is just a little over the top for me! ;D I have a LNIB Bausch & Lomb 1-4x that will probably go on it, but it is an older gloss black scope. There are so many ring sets laying around it could be either silver or blue depending on how I feel at the moment, but the stock will get stripped, stained some shade of brown, and end up with a satin finish.

I do have a safety orange Vero Vellini sling I could.....nah. ::)

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Funny!
I have a 45-70 synthetic with a Luepie 1-4x also, it is the exact opposite though....it is all black, black plastic, black matte reciever and barrel, matte scope and matte dednutz, black neopreme buttstock shellholder and black nylon sling... by that definition most lefty's would call it an assault rifle... don't put it down in the dark, you won't find it without a flashlight!

regards,
Graycg

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, it arrived today and it definitely IS laminated! It is also a fair bit darker than the eBay photos showed on my computer. It looked very, very blonde (to me) in the auction pics, but when it arrived, it is a pretty mellow golden oak color. Who ever stripped and refinished it did a pretty good job, the checkering was not boogered up, nor was there any excessive sanding done. It matched up great with my nickle receiver too. ;D

I might just rub the shine down some with some rottenstone, and live with it this color. I think I will try that to begin with.

Now to call Remington to see if stainless .30-06 barrels are in stock. I am thinking about getting a 7mm-06 barrel fitted at the same time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.