Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rifle throwes a flyer once in a while.
Could it be a bad bullet with a void or mabe one that is not filled out???or mabe when that bullet leaves the barrel-----at 1500fpsx720(a constand)devided 18(twist in the barrel)=46000rpm??? :roll: Just think what a .22-250 with a 1x7 [email protected] fps would do 370,000 rpm :eek: :-D thats faster then this little green feller spins arround :) Lp
" From Sierra by Robert Treece"

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hey LP, you must have one of them reverse polish calculators. My handy dandy TI calculator says 1500 fps and a 1:18 twist comes out to 60,000 rpm. :mrgreen:
Wayne

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tex :-D no I have German fingers,They hit the wrong keys sometimse my .45-70 only flyes at 1150 fps.sometimes. :) Lp.

·
Registered
557 Posts
LP

What are you using for wads and how clean are the bases of your bullets? Might a wad be sticking to the base of one or two? That would cause a flier.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI.shrink.

I think you missed my intent of this post.I did'nt mean my rifle in particular I ment all of us that shoot,wether you roll your own or use commercial bullets.Dont get me wrong I throw a lot of one for Henry's.
What I trying to say if you have a bullet with just a little imperfection in the bullet like a little void in the base or a wrinkle,or mabe the sprew cutter wasent locked in place will throw the bullet out of balence at that great rpm. :D Lp.

·
Registered
507 Posts
LP, the answer is any imperfections will to some degree cause some level of instability and the amount is relative on many, many factors, a couple being the relative mass of the bullet in comparison to the amount or size of the imperfection and where the imperfection is located. Others being how slow the bullet is spinning and how long it takes to get to the target. How's that for a "lawyers" response?

As you can imagine and likely appreciate, a substantial void on the sides of the bullet or a major imperfection in the tail end can have a substantial effect. All we can do is take steps to minimize the imperfections as much as possible. I once spent a lot of BTU's trying to figure out a way to indentify where, how large and to what extent voids were present in my bullets, but have since given up the effort to concentrate on good casting techniques.
Wayne

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:D Hi Tex.

I like your attitude,even when it comes from a Lawer that looks like the picture HEEEEEEEEE Hee. :-D :-D TNX. Wayne

·
Registered
507 Posts
LP, now don't go getting the wrong idea. I ain't a lawyer. I wouldn't want you spreading any such rumors. After rereading that 1st paragraph it sorta sounded like legal talk so I added the comment.

Concerning my photo, shortly after posting it someone took exception to my suave come hither good looks and wondered why I’d post such a thing. I just figured no one could take offense to any comments I make since all they'd feel is sorrow for someone that looks like that. The only problem is no one seems to take me seriously. I wonder why. :roll:

By the way, your “Don’t go were the path leads, go were there is no path and leave a trail” comment reminds me of a poem I believe I have on file. I see if I can find it and send it to you.

Wayne

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well now that makes you a more likable sort of feller,not being a Lawyer.
Well that Quote came from my 1st.sergeant.He used to tell me to stay off the path you will live longer,but leave me a trail so I know were you are.It kind of stuck with me.It was good advice.Lp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts