Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of water. And that site has a good reputation, I wonder how deep it goes besides that one spot.
And if it wasn't snowfall but an aquifer left over from when there was surface water.
Fascinating stuff Scibaer and a solid link, so much for saying there is no water on Mars.
It was hard to believe there wasn't with all the signs saying there was.
That is such a brutal place next to impossible for anything to be living on its surface.
But nothing compared to Venus robotic probes can't even survive there.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
This is huge for any first explorers, that's always been a concern. Water can also produce oxygen.
And grow food and produce hydrogen in the process for fuel. Meaning a lot less weight and space taken up
on any ship and crew heading there.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
if there's water water, h2o water, there's life.
maybe no kind we can comprehend, but there's
something there. why would any life have to
match our prism of what life should be anyway ?

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Ranger99 said:

Like tolerances to heat and cold? Not just us but about every creature on earth. But I know that's earth, and your right, it just seems that extremes in either direction would make for some pretty strange life.
The author of The Martian goes into detail about just how bad Mars is.
It sounds like Detroit lol.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah , it sounds like there is a whole lot of water on mars.. or at least the potential is there.
it sounds like it was an aquifer at one time , deep geologic water.
i think the argument for water on mars is now academic... there was signs but some contested them.

if there is water, then yes the potential for life is greatly increased for sure. i still say life might be possible , not only from carbon, but potentially from several of the elements on the table.

i just cant recall the details, so i should not say anything but.. there is a lake in ( russia ? ) thats frozen deep but at the bottom , because of the pressure its still liquid at a temp that should have it frozen solid..and if that wasnt enough, there are living microbes in the water ..
so life on mars is likely

im going to keep my deer hunting eye on this

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
That's true when the pressure becomes so great water doesn't freeze. I believe microbes are there, where there is mud there is critters. A complete subterranean ecosystem, it works in caves so why not ?
Left over from what did survive after what ever happened to Mars. I'm still with the ones that think it was
Olympus Mons, which is larger than the largest volcano on earth Mauna Loa by 100x, and Mars is smaller than
earth. It's three times as high as Everest nearly into space. When it erupted it sent clouds into space taking with
it much of the Mars atmosphere.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Scibaer said:
. . . but.. there is a lake in ( russia ? )
lake baikal maybe ? 5000 some odd feet deep with 20 some odd % of the world's fresh water

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015...ars-more-like-earth-just-nuke-it/?intcmp=hpff

This guys nuts, then what about all that radiation? But it does give a hint of what the ultimate goal would be
up there and that's colonization. Asimov's dream was colonization, and if anyway possible to stabilize the atmosphere on the out of control Venus. Which with her orbit and distance from the sun, would be ideal as
an agriculture planet. It's all speculation of course Venus is pretty much off the radar.
Venus makes Mars look like a paradise. 900 degrees, sulfuric acid rain, it's like super heated carburetor cleaner.

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
Ranger99 said:
Laws of of physics and chemistry.

The silly notion from science fiction of life based on some od-ball system, because they want it to be so, concept makes fire breathing dragons an absolute fact.

Scientists, if one wishes to call them that, want so badly for life to be out there so they can prove they are right and life is merely the result of a very big accident.

I believe that lake is in Antarctica.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah mr musk is a total nut.. he's been making the rounds on political, science and religious forums or websites for about 2 years now..
he had more education than brains, he's not very realistic or honest in my opinion

he's just making a name for himself, at least trying to , in various topics .. to what real end ( other than money ) i dunno

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
So there's water somewhere other than on Earth; wow, who'da thunk it? There's also dirt, rocks and other stuff. Bigger wow! I'm happy right here on this planet and I'm pretty sure I'm not going anywhere else. Where other people go, I couldn't care less.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Scibaer said:
i think that all the known elements are very where in the universe.

And then some we haven't come across yet. Last night on the NASA channel they were discussing the subject of your thread Scibaer, refreshing for once not always being about the ISS.
The more they are looking at this the larger it is, it's an ocean of ice. But they were quick to point out that
doesn't mean it's potable or drinkable. What if it's H3o, called heavy water which is deadly to try and use for much of anything. But sill it is a huge step for sure.

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
This is great news. Actual news. Makes one think of possibilities and progress. That is SO refreshing. I can take a break from the regular "news"....which is that someones else's "version" of Jesus is wrong, that my stock might go up if a company in my retirement fund switches from Mexican workers to Cambodia and pays workers 15 cents an hour instead of $1, that evil Russia is sending aid to Crimea against Ukraine--meanwhile in other news our "righteous" drones blow up a terrorist gathering--or a meeting of the Yemeni Camel Breeders Association.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
twoshooter said:
This is great news. Actual news. Makes one think of possibilities and progress. That is SO refreshing. I can take a break from the regular "news"....which is that someones else's "version" of Jesus is wrong, that my stock might go up if a company in my retirement fund switches from Mexican workers to Cambodia and pays workers 15 cents an hour instead of $1, that evil Russia is sending aid to Crimea against Ukraine--meanwhile in other news our "righteous" drones blow up a terrorist gathering--or a meeting of the Yemeni Camel Breeders Association.

That's the way I feel about the Mars stuff as long as it stays within the real deal and reality. Not all that crazy
stuff over on FB by the UFO nuts. Reading The Martian was such an escape and it was the real thing not
Aliens or things like that. How he survived was incredible, anyone else like me would have died.
A story about how the entire world was working to save one man.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Such an extensive ice sheet had never been seen at these latitudes before, study team members said.

thats one of the last lines in the article.. now maybe im reading into that statement, but...

does that sounds like the mars team has found ice sheets before ?

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Scibaer said:
Such an extensive ice sheet had never been seen at these latitudes before, study team members said.

thats one of the last lines in the article.. now maybe im reading into that statement, but...

does that sounds like the mars team has found ice sheets before ?

I've never thought we were being told everything there is about Mars. And like you said they have made statements before that contradicted what they had said earlier.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i agree. i think we are not being told everything about mars ( along with alot of other stuff )

i dont necessarily think there is some big mars conspiracy..but ..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.