Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8)In the north
When out ice fishing or winter hunting in cold climate areas a lot of
people have mishaps on Frozen Rivers and Lakes. I have fallen through my self a time or two and it is almost impossible to pull yourself out and back onto the ice pack unless you have some sort of instrument to dig into the ice to get a firm grip to haul yourself up and out.
You can use a knife if it is accessable but it is generally cumbersome and hard to grasp and you cannot grip it without cutting yourself and then ya got more problems and ya will probably drop it due to the cold water.

When you fall through ya have just very little time on
your side as Hypothermia will start to occur and then its a race against time to get dry and reheat your self if you can get out by yourself.
My dad taught all of us kids to take a piece of leather or a parachute cord
and tie it to about a 8 inch metal spike or a antler tine of Caribou,Moose and I suppose a deer antler tine would work. You tie it to the leather or nylon cord and wear as a safety bracelet. Ya put it around your wrist and secure what ever kind of spike ya chose with elastic against your wrist like a elastic nylon bullet holder make sure the spike is sturdy and big enough to grab with both hands this way if ya fall through ya can use the spike to dig into the ice and grab it with both hands and haul youself back up on the ice sheet and drag your self away from the hole by pulling yourself along until back on firm ice and to safety.
dabigmoose

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ice fishin'

Jeez, and I worry about fallin' outta da boat. Man, doan ya know you sposed to hunt in da winter and fish in da summer?

Loader 3009

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Ya, when we were kids, and cabin fever set in, Dad would take us ice fishing...but by the time you chopped a hole big enough for the boat, it was time to go watch the Packer game! :D

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
i'm gonna say it one more time---ice is for tea an sum other dranks--not to be delt with in tha atmosphere, tha ground, water or any place wherein ya gonna get inta it. if'n it gits below 70 i gotta find a warmer place.
blessings

1 - 5 of 5 Posts