Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
A few years ago I saw a handi in 25-35 at a gun show. I think it was a win 94 barrel stubbed. If I remember right the price was under 200. Why I didn't buy it I do not know.

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
trotterlg said:
I would just look for a 25-06 takeoff barrel and go from there. Larry
I just happen to have one of those. Came off of a brand new savage.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The 25-35 is the easiest to shoot decently with that i've ever shot...had Win 94 serial 351xxx..it had been sent back to the factory to be rebarreled and a pin broke in the action shortly thereafter ;D..i bought it in the early 80's, smith fixed it for me real nice and i took deer with it two years in a row ;D..then family need caused it to be placed onna market. :-X

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I think that would be a great caliber for someone recoil shy. I believe it has taken it's share of deer as well. I'd get one just for poops and giggles. DP

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
That would be a great choice for ya Doug. It would take it easy on that shoulder. DP

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
;) While my 25-25 is a rebarreled Marlin, it is a nice shooting gun. I suppose I have used in on half a dozen deer/antelope. It seems to kill well with very little recoil. I have not shot anything with it at much over 125 yards, maybe even less. It is a fun caliber. In a single shot Handi, spitzer bullets could be used. I load 75 grain VMax for prairie dogs, but they must be loaded single shot.... ;D

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
The 25-06 barrel I have off of a Savage is never fired, but it has some slight rust on the outside and some scratches where I had it in a vice to remove it. Could be polished up nice to make a handi stub.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I have been thinking about a 25-35 Handi, too. Also a 25-20, 25 Remington, and a 250 Savage. Since the 25-06 is longer than any of these, you couldn't just rechamber. Maybe you could do the "stub" thing ? I looked up the stub thread in the FAQs. Is there more than one way to do the stub conversion ?

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
Larry, I know what you think of our glue in stubbing 357's, but how about turning down a .257 diamiter barrel to the inside diamiter of a 12 gage chamber. Also having the very back of the barrel made like the rim on a 12 gage shell. Inserting this barrel from the back od the stub, and epoxying and tack welding it in place. Then a person could cut the ejector groove and use a 30-30 ejector?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts