Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..what would you carry for self defense?

I live in Canada, where it is illegal to carry handguns :x , what other options are there for protecting ones self against potentially armed criminals?

Any comments are welcome, thanks!!!

KPD 8)

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
I understand it is illegal to carry handguns in Canada. But before I got my CCW, I carried a handgun. Better judged by 12 than carried by 8. But that was me. If you feel you have to have something, get a knife. JMO :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't know how it is here in Utah, but in California, it was a misdemenor to carry a hand gun but a felony to carry nun-chakus or a knife.... Go figure. I think it's still like that. When I lived in Long Beach, there were times when I did carry because I feared being robbed more than the consequence of being caught carrying.

·
Registered
231 Posts
When I go anywhere that I can't carry a gun, I carry a walking stick. I use a cane to assist my walking all the time anyway, and my walking stick is the same length as my cane, but made of White Oak with a heavy brass ball on the hand end. It is useful for jabbing, swinging, of any kind of use a club can be used for, and is always in my hand when I am on my feet. I also can take it anywhere I go, as I use it as a cane on Dr.'s orders.

Greeenriver (Something to think about)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
:cb2: Good pepperspray.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A good pair of steel toed boots...

If I am traveling somewhere unfamilar or somewhere questionable, I try to wear a pair of steel toed boots if the weather is cool enough.

I am young (22) and still bend pretty good. I am not a self-defense expert, but I have studied a few fighting techniques. If I have to "tangle" with someone I am not going to do the whole "boxing" thing. Its hard to explain in words, but I may get my rear whipped, but I am going to go down kicking and swinging if you know what I mean.

I don't wear the cheap steel toed boots, I spend the extra $$'s for a comfortable pair.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm getting old and most if the time I find myself in a possible sticky sitution I catch my self reaching for my pocket knife instead of my carry weapn. Some of y'all know how it is ...up close and very personal.

Rick 8)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here in the Peoples Republic of Illinois carrying a handgun (or pretty much anything) for self defense is illegal. My Irish blackthorn walking stick is about the best option for SD without getting in a bunch of legal trouble. I'm old enough & look decrepit enough to get away with it. :)
gino

·
Registered
124 Posts
Self defense weapon?

That brings to mind an object I carried as a teenager when i worked ina shipyard and travelled the streets of N.Y.C. and N.J. and the subway in early hours of the morning. I had a pair of leather gloves stuffed in my back pocket but one glove had a large lead fishing sinker inserted in the thumb. A good whack whith that could do serious damage. And it didn't look out of place. I also at times carried a revolver in the small of my back. It thwarted a couple robberies late at night on the Subway. I have been carrying leagally for the past 50 years.Horsefeathers

·
Registered
267 Posts
All good ideas so far. I'd opt for bear spray, like the stuff sold on UDAP.com Plus it shoots a fog rather than a spray -- the plus side is you don't have to hit them in the eyes; once inhaled it sends them into a bronchospasm (like an asthma attack), whether human, dogs, or anything else. The down side is it doesn't work worth squat in a stiff wind.

I've studied martial arts, but there are simpler and more to-the-point training you can learn that won't take nearly as long. My hesitation with using any handheld weapon, particularly knives, is that you better know what you're doing. Inmates practice with each other on how to disarm one another, in case they're confronted with police or an armed civilian. And trust me, they do it very effectively.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If I could not carry a gun, I would carry a 25acp as the old saying goes.

Seriously, I have lived in some rough neighborhoods and have seen little old ladies carrying a pool que with most of the tapered end cut off. Just the WEIGHTED end left. Must be a common thing, I have seen it a lot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bear spray, and an assisted opening ( not a "switch blade") pocket knife like the Kershaw. The spray for a distance deturant ( chance to get away), and the knife held discretely (if possible) along the thigh for close in if needed... Don't advertise you've got the knife, let it be a "special" surprise.
CraigJS
Best is to run like **** if you have the option!!

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
A minnie blow gun 6" with a feathered copper dart would put the smart on an attacker. It would buy ya some time anyway.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
:roll: The civilian community near one of the post I was stationed at during my Army time had a bunch of folks that hated the military. This was back in the late fifties and we didn't dare carry a gun or knife, it the MPs didn't get you local LE would. I found that a roll of quarters (for making telephone calls, haha!) in a long boot sock (had to have a change of socks while on pass) was about as effective as you could get under the circumstances.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If I couldn't carry a handgun...Why go there?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I believe Canda does not consider armed resistance to be proper. at least for visitors, self defense from people is not a valid reason to bring a firearm into the country, but defense from wild animals is. Same for pepper spray, possesion of "people" pepper coming into the country is not allowed, but if it is specifically for wild animal defense, it is ok.

I would think a short lever carbine would be a nice thing to have handy. As I understand it, IF the gun (rifle) came from the factory with a barrel under 18.5", then itis OK to have, but a visitor cannot bring in a gun with a barrel under 18.5", (or 47 CM). I may be mistaken, but this is what I have read or been told. Any Canadians know the specifics?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
:cb2: For our 25th anniversary my wife wanted to drive up to Maine. However, she read an article in Guns & Ammo that listed the worst 10 states for people traveling with handguns, and she changed her mind. The New England states we would have to drive through had awful laws, especially Massachusetts. So, we spent our time in a B&B in Colorado instead. Spent our $dollars in more gun friendly states. Like Win 73 said, "If I couldn't carry a handgun...Why go there?"

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Since we can't carry concealed in Wisconsin yet I too usually have a walking stick or cane. I usually have a double coach gun hanging from the back of my truck seat with a ammo sleeve on the stock. It is in a case but the case is unzipped far enough to get my hand in. Since I do a lot of cowboy action shooting I can load the shotgun pretty fast under stress. I figure that if something happens in a parking lot I can get to the gun fairly fast. I wish I lived in a will isue state but my wife won't leave her parents.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ball Peen Hammer

How about a Ball Peen Hammer,just kidding.I believe that pepper spray/mace is also illegal is such liberal territories as Canada and the peoples republics of California and Massachussetts. A stout walking stick is tough to outlaw and can lash out a good thumping,in short order should the need to defend one self ever come up.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts