Graybeard Outdoors banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Like several others, I strongly advocate some form of pepper spray, backed up by a legal length knife IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT. I don't think that trying to fight with a knife if you have no training is a good plan unless there is no other option. I also strongly recommend some kind of self defense training.

I have also seen a hat that had a pocket inside that held a bag full of lead shot. It was a stoutly constructed hat, with the adjustment strap firmly attached. That was the "handle". It would make a nice surprise.

· Registered
160 Posts
I think it's important here to realize that such half-measures might be better than nothing, but they can't keep you truly safe like a handgun can, and so you have to live with that apprehension. I can't carry due to the laws in my state, and have given up a lot of my freedom because of it due to prior incidents which REQUIRED a handgun-- not sticks or stones etc. The state doesn't CARE about our safety-- just obedience.

· Registered
1,752 Posts
I think that" the state" that doesn't trust you to wear a weapon is the over generalization of people who are unwilling to defend themselves against criminals; your neighbors. They feel if nobody wears weapons, nobody will get hurt, that's bunk, some people need to get hurt. Their behavior is so agregeous,(sp) that some one should shoot them to stop it.

Rather than ban the wearing of all weapons, the reverse should be true, wear a weapon, if you abuse tha tright, you're done, and likely in prison, or, if you misbehave with a weapon, suffer the consequences, being stopped in a lethal manner by the authorities; shot by the police in a confrontation.

An armed society is a polite society... :D

· Registered
353 Posts
A two or three foot long piece of 5/8" rebar. It is cheap, can be discarded, and is a good item to keep a knife wielding opponent at bay. No man can block a downward swing toward his head without sacrificing an arm. You 'own' any dog that comes at you. The 'heavy duty walking stick would be a good alternative. A CW is more convenient where legal.

· Registered
22 Posts
If you are not allowed a cw then by all means a "walking stick" would be a great idea .....but if you are not trained or you do not practice with it you might have a false sense of security. There are lots of dojo's that teach cane defense and in just a few lessons you could become confident and practice makes perfect. I to live by the Tried by twelve or carried by six mind set but thats the key MIND SET I have a saying when you come in contact with someone you dont know be polite be courtious but have a PLAN to kill everyone you meet.

· Registered
17,612 Posts
Culture, sometimes more than law, is the answer to this.
I have posted a number of times concerning the culture of things in Texas years ago. It was illegal to carry but the culture of things in most counties was that the boys figgered most folks did, especially in the car. They just did not ask.
If this is the way it is where you are then hang the law and carry--or move to Texas.
Blessings

· Registered
154 Posts
uh let's here... no one mentioned slingshots, stun guns, slap sticks, whips, and I can't believe no one mentioned the Mag-light!!! Seriously thought, I'd even think about the stun gun. Its smaller and more compact. Just dont get any of your own fingers in the way!!!! :shock:

· Registered
2,322 Posts
Well, he's talking about going up against ARMED thugs here...
I don't know about you, but I carry a gun, I pitty the thug that brings a whip or slap sticks, or whatever to my gun fight.
Aint no thug getting close enough to me to use any of that stuff.
I'm thinking, if your going up against ARMED thugs, you best be armed yourself...hang the law...being in a box and put into the ground is not worth following the law....my opinion...they vary.

Or, as another person has already said...move to a place where you can be free and carry a gun.

Jimster

· Registered
19 Posts
Before I got my pistol, when i went out in the "bad" areas I carried Fox Labs pepper spray, 300,000 volt stun gun in my jacket, and my little Cold Steal Spike knife on my belt.

Fox Labs spray will bring anyone to there knees just as quick at a .45 acp to the chest! Just like nobody likes to bleed, no body likes to have there face fealing like it is in ****, and there eyes slammed shut for 5 hours! :grin: The stungun is awesome if there already on top of you. And the knife is last resort.

· Registered
15 Posts
When I can't carry a gun, I carry an assisted opener knife. I really like the glove idea Horsefeathers had. Hadn't really thought of that before, and I'll have to look into making a pair of gloves like that.

Horsefeathers
I had a pair of leather gloves stuffed in my back pocket but one glove had a large lead fishing sinker inserted in the thumb. A good whack whith that could do serious damage. And it didn't look out of place.

· Registered
2,904 Posts
I too will not go to a State that does not allow American citizens
their constitutional rights. As for Canada from the original post,
I don't know what to tell you. Rest assured, Criminals there are
carrying handguns. If you pull a can of mace or a knife out to defent yourself from one of them, You are going to be wounded or killed.
Just pray that you never have to use a weapon to defend yourself,
And if you do carry and have to use it, never tell anyone about it!
The right to preserve your own life should not be dictated by government.

· Registered
133 Posts
I agree with Win73. Why live in such a place? I'd find a better place to live. This is one of the main reasons I live where I do. Montana is a wonderful place. The hunting and outdoors is great. And our law permits self-defense "by any means possible."

I have nothing against Canadians personally but won't travel to a place where I'm deprived of my right to defend. That also includes many states right here in the good ol' USA. In a way I hold the people of such places responsible because they've allowed someone to take their right away. If everyone refused to patronize them they'd yield to pressure. Don't travel there. Don't buy things made there if at all possible to get it from somewhere else. Don't support their oppressive attitudes. Our problem is that we don't have the guts and the spirit of our forefathers to tell "big brother" that we the people are supposed to be the ones in charge. We can vote. We can protest. We can refuse to knuckle under. And we have (at least here in the U.S.) the right to legally challenge the hoplophobes. What we lack is GUTS.

· Registered
64 Posts
I must say that sometimes I do not carry a gun but I do have a CCW pemit. I have and do carry when I feel it's needed. I don't live, work, or travel in a high "stress" areas on a daily basis like others that have posted. Don't get me wrong, I don't live in a fantasy world. I do believe that ANYTHING can happen, at ANYTIME, and ANYWHERE. It is just not fully ingrained or desired on most days. For me. BUT...

I NEVER EVER, EVER, EVER GO OUT WITHOUT AN EDGE. Knife edge that is. I go with Medium size with XL capabilities.

My first preference is a Spyderco DELICA with 50/50 Spyderedge blade. I'ts hard to tell how much I'm impressed with the service I've gotten from this knife. I will only recomend the 50/50 edge when somebody asks about protection. The forward unserrated part of the blade gets 75% of a pocket knife duty of small cuts and stuff like letter or box opening. The close serrated half of the Spyderedge cuts the big stuff like ropes, straps and seat belts. On the defense side the Syperedge would cut through a tendon faster than any miscreant could pull his arm back. There are many self defense courses for edged weapons. If you have never seen what a Spyderedge can do check out some books, videos or classes. My next Spyderco would be the Endura, as it is a little bigger. These two knives have been on lots the patrolman's belts since 1990.

My second prefence is Cold Steel's mid size VOYAGER with a plain edge. I bought this Pre 9/11 and at the time there was a restriction on serrated in a carryon bag. Ah the good old days. Many jurisdictions have rules against serrated edges so my Voyager gets the start on those days.

Lots of emergency room surgeons will tell you that a knife, used properly, will maim or kill just as fast.

Any tactically trained Police officer will tell you that inside the 15 foot mark a person with a knife will get you faster than the reaction time to draw a CCW gun and fire.

You just have to be 100% sure you will win. Any fight or confrontation is lost due to lack of will power. Many times before it even starts.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
489 Posts
BloomGrad said:
Any tactically trained Police officer will tell you that inside the 15 foot mark a person with a knife will get you faster than the reaction time to draw a CCW gun and fire.
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,93579.0.html

What happened to 20 feet and the element of surprise?

Anyway, if I was sure the risk would be that high, I would avoid that dangerous place at all costs.

· Premium Member
23,307 Posts
Before I retired 12 years ago I carried a 1911 on my belt along with a lock blade knife also on my belt. A model 60 smith in my coat or pants pocket depending on the season. An M4A2 in the seat beside me and an 870 with 6 round mag extension in a pouch sewed onto the front of the front seat cushion of my tactical K-9 unit. Three years before I left L.E. (after 20 years) I got a new Chief who was originally from Canada and had on 7 years on the street in a suburb for experience. He asked me if I was paranoid? I said no, I just don't trust anyone. If my 45 is not welcome in a state, neither am I. An armed society is a polite society. ;)

· Registered
26 Posts
it sucks gettin hit in the face with a can of raid (the big black can), same with steel toes
and bike chain with a pack-lock on the end is gonna hurt, almost as bad as the rebar idea if you do it right

hope i never have to....

· Premium Member
23,307 Posts
The bottom line here is to stay out of bad areas. Illinois, Washington DC, New York State, Massachuchets, Maine, California, Wisconsin, CANADA! Then you'll always have your gun and be in a place where bad guys always appreciate you. An armed society is a polite society.

· Registered
133 Posts
Say, BloomGrad, did you hear about the man who brought a knife to a gunfight? Dee and a few others are right. It's just smart to avoid problem areas. And equally smart to live in an area that honors and appreciates our right to self-defense as well as our right to keep and bear arms. It's not a priviledge but a right!

Talk all you want about the various means by which one might defend themselves but keep in mind that unless you've been there you are just speculating what you might do or how things might turn out. Anyone who's actually been there knows which is the best defense. In my younger days I was in the military where reality comes to you suddenly. I also held several belts in martial arts. I've worked in law enforcement and the correctional system. I've tasted pepper spray and mace. Not fun, but if your life depends on your response you WILL fight through it! I've also been shot and stabbed. No question that a knife can do serious damage. But it doesn't even compare to a gunshot! I'll carry a gun, thank you!

· Registered
68 Posts
All, when I lived in a state for a while that did not allow the individual to carry a gun. A friend of mine gave me a bottle that butane came in but had been modified to be pressurized and released with a push button. The can contained methyl alcohol and compressed air. Also a fast trigger butane lighter came with the can. Spray the perps and send a wave of flaming methanol in their direction. He, I hear had to use it when he was stabbed twice on a subway. The perps got burnt badly and my friend spent 2 months in the hospital. Needless to say the good liberal folks tried to get him for the burnings but dropped it for lack of evidence. He now lives in a SHALL CARRY state and loves it. Tryit.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.