Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D I'm a trad archer. I shoot a Jeff Massie 'Longhorn' longbow. I've also got an Earl Hoyt Jr 'Sky Eagle' recurve.

Next hunt? I leave for business in Hawaii at the end of February and will hunt a few days for pigs using my longbow with a buddy there. If I can manage to bag a Spring black bear with my rifle I'll switch to my longbow for Fall.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello mat. and Welcome Aboard. sounds like you have a busy month ahead. It will be Interesting to hear about your hunting adventure in Hawaii upon you return.
Well I spend yesterday doing predator control on the place they have been eating the Turkey's like crazy. I did put a dent in the population though coyote(1) not that much but a start, No I did use the Bow the temp. was at -10 so I used the 223 cal. I have had my bow since "69" I did not want to chance the cold on my limbs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Steve Choroman here, aka SoftPoint. I started traditional 8 years ago after my compound explode and never looked back. Have taken 1 Elk and 4 deer with my pride and joy 55lb Martin Super Diablo. Member of Colorado Bowhunters Assn., Colorado Traditional Archers Society, and of course the NRA. I hail from Louviers, Colorado, 3 miles from the infamous forest fire in 2002. I will be trying for turkey with my recurve this year. Good Luck and Good Times to All
Cheers!
SoftPoint

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kinda Wierd

Ya'll are gonna find this wierd but I've lived somewhere near where each of ya'll are from... "The Bowhunter" -- I was stationed at Ft Leavenworth for a year just before I moved up here in June. I used to shoot occasionally at the Topeka Bowhunters 3D shoots with my son. "Softpoint" -- I went to school at CSU and shot a few mulies in NE Colorado. "Bob" -- I graduated High School in Ft Walton Beach and married my wife there. Small world....

·
Registered
41 Posts
sayin' hi!!!!

Tom Gilkerson here(tomg) from richmond va ...This is my 1st. yaer with a recurve and I'm loving it. I took a small doe this fall and I'm prouder of her than any buck I've taken with a compound ... I can't believe I wasted all thoughs years with wheels and pulleys..... It's like I've found hunting all over again!!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll Introduce Myself

Hello folks, Ted A. Young, COB (Crusty Ole Bas er well COB) here. Going on sixty three years old and hail from Ohio. Been bowhunting since 1970 and using trad equipment for the last fifteen. Like to shoot fire arms but just for plinking, maybe a groundhog, now and then. Shoot a Morrison recurve and longbow. Have two Assenhiemer recurves also and a Jimbo longbow. Shoot cedar, tin cans, and African Ebony Reed Wood. Use only 145 or 160 grain Snuffers. Love to see those big 5.5" banana feather fly!
Keep the wind in your face.

Ted A. Young AKA COB :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Howdy

COB, that wouldn't mean Chief Of the Boat, would it??

Checking in from Cleveland.
Bighorn Ramhunter Longbow
Saxon American recurve
TD Recurve made by Bob Jones in Moncks Corner, SC

I like long walks on the beach, making flemish strings, cedar arrows and terrorizing the rabbits in my back 2 acres.

Sean

PS, anyone need a Quality manager/engineer? I'm gonna be a GE re-structuring casualty at the end of the month.

·
Registered
17 Posts
:D Billstick here 55, Long Island ,N.Y. Discovered this site over the weekend . Been shooting longbows 13 yrs. Have over 20 ,.
The wife also shoots a longbow she ONLY has 5 :) and one on order.

Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bill Lamb checking in here. I'm originally from Galena, KS. Spent a little over twelve years in the US Navy. The Navy took me to Charleston, SC to serve onboard ship, and I ended up staying in the area after I got out. I stayed in the Naval Reserves and retired in January 1992.

I have been shooting sticks and string for three years. I've had two recurves and three longbows. My first recurve was built by an elderly gentleman who lives within 10 miles of me. I gave it to my son-in-law. The second recurve was a Chek-Mate T/D, I gave it to my son. My first longbow was a Fox reverse handle which I sold when I bought a Chek-Mate Crusader. I still have the Crusader, but decided this weekend I was going to sell it when a fella sent me a Black Thunder longbow he had for sale.

Wow! What a sweet shooting bow! I love target shooting, 3-D shooting and any kind of hunting with a bow, although I primarily hunt whitetails.

Hi COB! I'll answer for COB. He actually gave you the answer in his post above. It doesn't stand for Chief Of the Boat, it stands for Crusty Old Bast..d, according to HIM!

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Howdy

Hello from western PA. Ive been shooting Trad for 9 or 10 years. Recurves and long bows, mostly like the long bows. I bought a compound last year because I didn't have time to practice as much as I thought I should. I hunted the first half of the season with it and passed up every shot because it just didnt seem like much fun. I hung up the compound and spent a couple days practicing with my locust bow and then went out and had fun.(SKUNKED) first year I didnt get at least one deer in archery season since i started trad hunting. I also bought a model 99 savage 250 sav. caliber and left my bolt gun at home . That was a lot of fun too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Intros

Well howdy,
I’m DoC, over here in Arkansas. Started shooting sticks and bbs back about ‘63 or ‘64. I have a ‘64 Pearson recurve, a longbow, two compounds, and a few thunder irons.
Current favorites are the longbow, new Matthews, an XP100, fly rod, and golf clubs.
Yeah, weird combination, but fun.
DoC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts