Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a 454 casull chamber reamer ... need tech. info & "renters"

I finally found a 454 reamer in stock. I need info from some of you that own other reamers ( Tim, Larry, etc). the lady I spoke to said it is a solid pilot reamer and the pilot diameter is .4416. Is this pilot the correct size for the job?

I will be offering this reamer for rent to the group for the same deal as Tim and others are offering their 357 max reamers. Please let me know who is interested in this when I get it.

Here are the details copied from Tim's post:

I'd like to deal with each "renter" one at a time, send the reamer off to them insured priority mail which costs a little over $7, the reamer would be returned by the same with a $20 money, unless you want to contribute more to GBO which will be arranged up front, I'd keep track of the funds, and send the money accumulated over the cost of the reamer and my shipping costs to Graybeard once the reamer was paid for, and continue to do so as long as the reamer is still working well. This has been done before, only the owner received all the funds for the reamer which was more than paid for, the reamer eventually disappeared due to it being sent from renter to renter instead of back to the owner which doesn't help accountability for the reamer or the funds.

So far from Tim's post the following people have said they would be interested in a 454:

jerryko
gendoc
ironduke2

thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Re: I'm about to buy a 454 casull chamber reamer ... need tech. info & "renters"

i'm with you all the way kevin !!!!
i have read alot of specs and info on the rechamber, now i just
got to find it !!!!!
i'll let ya know
thanks!!!!

·
Super Moderator
51,503 Posts
Re: I'm about to buy a 454 casull chamber reamer ... need tech. info & "renters"

You'll want to pour a chamber cast or slug the throat to see what your bore measures at the lands. It probably won't make a lot of difference since the chamber will guide the reamer just as long as the pilot is smaller than the lands.

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts

Did you ask the lady if it was for a revolver or a rifle? There is quite a difference. Larry

·
Super Moderator
51,503 Posts

I didn't think a cylinder reamer had a pilot. ???

Tim

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts

trotterlg said:
Did you ask the lady if it was for a revolver or a rifle? There is quite a difference. Larry

Larry,

What is the difference between the two?
Not being a smarty... I honestly don't know.
Explain it to me in dummy terms so I understand it.

Spanky

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

trotterlg said:

Larry,

This one they called it a barrel reamer. She said it was for a rifle. It has the pilot, and complete chamber and rim. The other one she called a cylinder reamer. She said that one is very short.

thanks,
Kevin

Tim,
When you bought your max reamer did you have a choice of pilot sizes, or did you just order the one that was available? I don't have anything to do a chamber cast here.

thanks,
Kevin

·
Super Moderator
51,503 Posts

I just ordered what they had in stock, figured I'd return it if it wouldn't work, you can slug the throat with any soft lead, bore slugging info in the FAQs. ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts

You probably have the right one. You will need to check to see if it set to cut a throat, I am kind of thinking you bought from PTG? Larry

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I haven't bought it yet, but that is who has it. :)

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts

I'd be in on the 454 reamer. I'm hoping my chamber isn't to large, my 45's swell pretty good. DP

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

dpe.ahoy said:
I'd be in on the 454 reamer. I'm hoping my chamber isn't to large, my 45's swell pretty good. DP
You just put yourself on the list ;D

·
Registered
5,142 Posts

kevin,
i found the info, and it just about states exactly what tim said!!!! 8)
but a chamber cast will help... i'm going to do it just to be sure of the
cutting depth needed ;)

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I picked up some sinkers today to slug the bore.

Kevin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts