Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to love my revolvers. I really do.

My knuckle hates the damn things. Hate doesn't really fully describe it reaction. Red, angry, swollen, you get the point.

Is there some technique I'm missing? I'm about ready to duct tape a pool noodle to the grip.

Sent via Pony Express rider through Indian country.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I have a preference for certain grips.
Either the Pachmayr style thin rubber grips with the not-so-well-defined fingergrooves.
Or large wood target stocks.

·
2,655 Posts
DA or SA revolvers? Getting the middle finger of your shooting hand rapped is common with both on guns with decent recoil. Lots of shooters go for a high grip, and this can increase the odds of a busted knuckle. A little lower grip can help.

The real cure is properly fitted stocks that fit your hand, and have grip material partially covering the back of the trigger guard (picture what a pair of S&W factory target stocks look like) These force a slightly lower grip, and protect your finger. Pachmayr and Hogue grips work well, as do properly designed wood grips. Rubber stocks on a revolver may not be pretty, but I use them on most of my heavy recoiling revolvers simply because they make them much more pleasant to shoot.

Larry

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I've got one of each now. NMBH and an SP101.

I guess I'm going to have to get replacement grips. Anyone know who makes the biggest? Best is subjective so I'll start with biggest.

·
2,655 Posts
I am not sure whats out there for the SP101 off hand, but I am sure Pachmayr or Hogue make something. Pictured is a set of Hogue's on a Blackhawk. Notice how your hand position is lowered, and your finger protected? Yep, not as pretty as walnut, but full power .44 mags in this gun, with these grips, are comfortable to shoot. NOT so with the pretty factory wood grips.

Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the wife ain't as pretty as a super model but she gets it done comfortably. I like your idea just fine.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Does anyone know of this kind of grip for a Blackhawk, not a Super Blackhawk. I have a 45 Colt and when it's loaded with full power loads it hits my knuckle sort of hard.

I have tried to find different grips with no luck.

Regards, Keith

·
2,655 Posts
Keith - Even though my Ruger pictured is a Super Blackhawk, it has the standard Blackhawk grip frame, same as any other Blackhawk, not the normal square trigger guard type found on most Supers. Hogue makes rubber grips for either style. Here is a link to their web site. http://www.hogueinc.com/

Larry

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Bigeasy said:
The real cure is properly fitted stocks that fit your hand. . . . . . . . .

Larry
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^ ^ right ^ ^ ^ ^ here ^ ^ ^

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've ordered a Hogue grip for the Blackhawk and the SP101.

Went with nylon in the 101, hopefully it will slide a little better than the rubber material. I don't think I'd like it hanging up under clothing.

Forum Obstructionist

·
24,003 Posts
after two operations for bones spurs on my shooting hand middle knuckle and a permanently swelled knuckle im not the one to answer your question. :eek:

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Ha, Lloyd, you're just a slow learner. A grip that fits your hand will either help or cure getting your middle knuckle rapped. If it does not cure it - then wear a decent shooting glove.

A light weight, heavy recoiling, single action will rap your knuckles - for me, it's my trigger finger that gets beat-up.

I wear one, sometimes two Band-Aids on my finger where that revolver removes some skin and then I wear a shooting glove in addition to the Band-Aids. Works for me.

My FA97 in 45 Colt just doesn't fit my paw - shooting heavy (325 to 340 grain) bullets at Mach 2 velocity is no joy but I keep doing it mainly to cause unbearable pain to others who think that little revolver looks so cute & compact. Most will shot a cylinder full (5 shots) after which they want no part of it. ;D

If you use a soft to moderate grip - you stand a better chance of getting your middle knuckle rapped - use a stout grip and just maybe that knuckle will survive. I cracked two (2) sets of micarta grips on a BFR revolver in 500JRH by really bearing down on that puppy, as when shooting over the top loads, my knuckles were getting clobbered pretty good. BFR replaced the 1st set and rounded the sharp edges. After cracking the second set, they said they would only do 1 more - I then choose the rubber grips. 6 months later I got a 454 BFR and noticed they added a composite lining to the inside of the micarta grips and they will hold up to heavy recoil with a death grip. I would like to think I had something to do with that "improvement" but probably not.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
they used to make some p.a.s.t. shooting
gloves in addition to their excellent shoulder
recoil pads that i'm sure would take the bite
out of a tough recoiling handgun.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
PAST gloves have never held up for me, as I tear them at the webbing when shooting heavy recoiling single actions - double action revolvers I wouldn't see a problem. The 1st one I tore up they replaced - I tore that one up and they said they no longer made gloves - they have since started up again or maybe a different company purchased them??

I have found 2 gloves that will hold up to anything you want to throw at them. I use both and have no favorite.

http://www.gripswell.com/gs33.php

http://www.pro-aim.com/Pro-Aim.com/Main.html

The gloves will stop the skinning and blood loss but the discomfort (mild pain) from heavy recoiling handguns - not so much. They lessen the sting to the palm but the gloves do nothing for your wrist. Non of this really matters to a young pup but after shooting for 50 years and using a few big bores starting with the number 4 and going up to the 500 Linebaugh Max plus pushing heavy cast at warp speeds in all those revolvers for 40 years (some would call it "pressure testing") - it seems the wrist and shoulders start to talk back to ya and like last week - it got down right nasty shooting that FA97.

I'm thinking I'll be shooting mostly powder puff loads in the near future, as I'm starting to think the War Department has been right over all these past years - I'm just an ole macho fool - I'll remain an ole fool, just not so macho bonehead.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Was able to install the new grips this evening.

The SP-101 was as simple as mud. The nylon type grip is exactly what I was looking for no stickiness whatsoever. I'm not sure the texture is aggressive enough, but time will tell. The finger grips will help locate the gun and keep it from moving ( at least that's what I'm telling myself ). The .327 Fed is snappy but I don't think it's really much different than 9mm.

The Blackhawk however gave me some pause. The printed instructions are very generic to be kind. After doing what seemed appropriate I goobered up the install, shaving a bit of that precious rubber off the edge. The screw and the nut were not coming together either. About this time I decided to go ahead and watch the video on the Hogue website. I decided I was not the first to experience the shaved rubber and wandering nut, they had excellent techniques to eliminate both issues. Had I done the manly thing and **** canned the instructions first, and watched the movie .... Never mind, it's all together and looks as good as it's going to. I wish I'd changed these out two years ago. Looks be damned, it fits my big mitt now.

Forum Obstructionist

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
On the DA... better grips ones that fit for YOU will be best option.. thing is YOU need to find this out as altho ourhands are simular, yours are yours. :) I like Hogues...

On the SA, well thats another story. The COLT was designed for pointability and under recoil it rotates in the hand... This is KEY in allowing better toleration for heavy recoil. The grips you show make it more like a DA, straigher back recoil...no roll and knuckle bite = BAD. Try a slick smooth grip!

I have over a dozen SA revolvers. These include a couple 454s, most 45 Colts but a few 357 magnums, a maxi, a carbine and a 41 magnum and a few rimfres. The RF's, 357's and Carbine are cake... easy shooting. The 41 is a 3 screw BH with the early XR red frame. (Close er to Colt) t too is not a large issue. One BH is a Bisley, slick grips help me allot in promoting that "roll". The single SA that "bites me" was the SBH and that's because of its dragoon shaped trigger guard. I sold it off. The 45 Colts are various makers including Colt, Ruger, Cimmeron, US Patent and Uberti. Some shoot heavy loads others shoot mild as age and construction permit. None are a issue. My "heavy" colt loads push a 300g bullet to 1300 fps.

CW

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I'll be first to tell you, if the SA grips were on that DA, they would be a perfect pair. Except for the smaller handier carrying part. That can't be overlooked I suppose.

I simply had to address the trigger guard whacking my knuckle. I could not concentrate knowing I was getting ready to take a hammer blow to my knuckle. I just could not think of any other good reason I could shoot I little semi auto like my 239 - SIG far better than a full sized Blackhawk. Hitting a 55gal barrel lid at 100 yards with the Ruger was coincidental, with the P - 239 it is absolutely expected. I read much about that roll, I may or may not be experiencing that my concentration has been on mitigating my pain.

$18 spent on the Blackhawk is not much ventured. I may now have 2 grips that are unsatisfactory. If I see no improvement there will be a trade in my future, P - 220 in 10 mm comes to mind.

Forum Obstructionist

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.