Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
to my LGS and see if I can do a decent trade with Mike. I may just take a couple of my 22 autos with me, and see if I can arrange a deal.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
When you compare
TCR22- $360
Ruger 1022- $230

Even though the TCR looks like a great rifle, that $130 price difference can buy a lot of ammo.:tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
I'm sure they are nice lil rifles.Old plinkster could shoot with the cucumber and make it look good.
I have the old style Ruger 1022 wood stock,with a red dot scope on it, and it's a tack driver. With my tired old eyes, the red dot is the only way to go.It's my Grouse gun, and head shots out to 50 yds are possible with a rest.Most are within 30.We are allowed to hunt those wood birds with a 22 cal. here in the peoples republic of Oregoon.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
$360 might be suggested retail but I just sent IG a link where he can buy the one with the magpul stock for $299. I looked them over real good at Brownells a while back and they are a step up from the 10-22. It looks to me like they used some of the good features incorporated into the Magnum Research version of the 10-22 and added a few of their own.

I already have a half dozen 22 rifles and one of them is an older 10/22 Deluxe model that shoots as good as I can shoot anymore. However if I were in the market for a new 22 I'd give the TCR22 serious thought.

I am a huge Ruger fan so it is a little uncharacteristic for me to endorse something else.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I bought one of the first 10/22s out, back in 1965..serial # 66XX, and it indeed was a tack driver..standard with walnut stock. I have not seen one off the shelf in recent years which would shoot with it...but then, many highly rated .22s could not shoot with it !

TC has Ruger to thank for the given action..best 22 auto action & magazine as far as I am concerned...however, a man named Selden once held the patent for the automobile..

Difference between $230 Ruger and $360 TCR... at least $100 worth receiver sight set... last shot fired hold back (with TCR magazine), Picatinny rail built in, plus larger charging handle and bolt hold back lock lever,

...And how much would one have to pay for the Magpul stock? Most reports say the accuracy is extraordinary.

The Magpul for 10/22.. https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-x-22-stock-ruger-10-22?ProductColor=VO343

I am a Ruger fan also, having owned over the years 4 different 10/22, and my latest purchase about 2 weeks ago, of a Ruger American in .450 Bushmaster.

I even did one with the full deal, heavy target barrel, customized bolt and all innards..plus 2 stocks, one I customized, plus a Hogue rubber stock.

Here's a video comparing the internal fit & finish with the 10/22;

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Love that grooved receiver . I may have to check those out .

...And installing a picatinny rail on a 10/22 would cost how much? ...Plus it is just one more place to loosen up at some time.

The TCR 22 is already threaded for a suppressor..that must be worth something..

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
...And installing a picatinny rail on a 10/22 would cost how much? ...Plus it is just one more place to loosen up at some time.

The TCR 22 is already threaded for a suppressor..that must be worth something..
I didn't realize that the rail was built in, so that would be a deal breaker with me.
If you installed a peep on that rail, the front sight would be really high.
I much prefer peeps on a .22 rifle.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I didn't realize that the rail was built in, so that would be a deal breaker with me.
If you installed a peep on that rail, the front sight would be really high.
I much prefer peeps on a .22 rifle.
The TCR comes with a decent looking peep sight.. oh, and it already has the bore cleaning hole, which many 10/22 modifiers drill into their

action housing..

The last custom I built, I had my gunsmith grandson go over the whole bolt. He made custom modifications to the bolt...such as tapering the rear of the bolt, where

it re-cocks the hammer..he gave it a gentler curve, so it wouldn't slam the hammer so hard..plus cut the action noise down. TC did the same thing..

Let's face it, the engineers for TC have a great advantage. Using the basic action of the 10/22, they made many of the improvements that have been made over the years by custom builders..

See photo below..peep sight and clean out hole..front sight is luminous green;

Attachments

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
The TCR comes with a decent looking peep sight.. oh, and it already has the bore cleaning hole, which many 10/22 modifiers drill into their

action housing..

The last custom I built, I had my gunsmith grandson go over the whole bolt. He made custom modifications to the bolt...such as tapering the rear of the bolt, where

it re-cocks the hammer..he gave it a gentler curve, so it wouldn't slam the hammer so hard..plus cut the action noise down. TC did the same thing..

Let's face it, the engineers for TC have a great advantage. Using the basic action of the 10/22, they made many of the improvements that have been made over the years by custom builders..

See photo below..peep sight and clean out hole..front sight is luminous green;
Now that puts the TCR22 in a whole new light.
I didn't see the peep in the other pictures and that would cause me to take a serious look at it were I buying a new rifle.
Those two things (peep and cleaning hole) just may kick the 1022 to the curb.:tango_face_smile:
Or start a price war which would benefit the gun buying public.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My local store just up the street, didn't give me a very good break, perhaps Mike is getting TOO popular.

So I went down the road for about 10 miles, to see Mark..who I have also bought several guns from. Mark will be ordering in a few days, and will check the price and make an offer.

We will see what he finds out .

·
Registered
359 Posts
Bought one a couple months ago, very pleased with it, trigger was sloppy, so I put a $7.00 Wolf trigger spring in in it. Solved that problem. Have put about 500 rounds through it, very accurate, not target shooting accurate, but plinking and squirrel accurate. Fun to shoot, and my grandkids like it a lot too.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bought one a couple months ago, very pleased with it, trigger was sloppy, so I put a $7.00 Wolf trigger spring in in it. Solved that problem. Have put about 500 rounds through it, very accurate, not target shooting accurate, but plinking and squirrel accurate. Fun to shoot, and my grandkids like it a lot too.
Thanks Bob, I'll keep that trigger mod in mind if I get one.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I ordered a TCR22 today..expect it in within the next week.

Iplan on visiting my gunsmith grandson soon, so I will probably take the trigger assy with me and have him rework that. I have an Anschutz woodchucker

of which I want him to recrown the barrel. I don't like the looks of it !

Here's Jerry, putting a TCR22 through it's paces..
now if I could shoot iike he does..

The TCR22 has a 10-22 style action, and although it is more costly..it has more built in features.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just FYI.. I posted this over on RFC as well

First time out..no scope yet, used the stock sights. I wasn't able to bench the rifle, since I didn't bring my bench with me.
. When I fired Federal lightning, Federal bulk HP, CCI Mini Mag solids, Remington subsonics, Aguila subsonics, Winchester subsonics, Aguila 60gr sniper subsonics, Federal Spitfire 31gr hyper, as well as my old favorite..CCI standard velocities...and all functioned and fed well.

CCI CB caps and CCI quiets required the action to be hand loaded.

The action was smoother than any stock 10/22 I have ever owned (IMO)

It is an overcast day here, rain on and off, and that green luminous front sight worked very well.

I had no bench, bags, sling or bipod. So I stood at the 50 yard line and popped head/shoulder silhouettes with regularity, no matter which ammo..same goes for a wallet sized swinging target
The trigger is pretty decent, but I may decide to hand over the bolt and trigger group to my gunsmith grandson, for accurizing and cleaning up..just to work his "magic' on the steel, even though it appears more finely machined than a stock 10/22.

If I decide to go full out, I may get a rubber Hogue stock..along with a choice barrel. ..But all that remains to be seen.

Is all sugar & roses with my TCR22? No, not in my opinion ! That magazine is a royal PITA as I see it. I'm glad I took a couple spare 10/22 mags with me, or I would not have completed the test without getting mighty frustrated. !

That little steel angle to be depressed upon loading, is a pain in the thumb, and I found myself getting the first round joined magazine, more often than not.

Once that magazine is shot empty, it is a real struggle to get out of the gun. Push the trip lever forward, then start clawing at the magazine..lots of luck !

On the other hand, the 10/22 magazines worked very well..so I will likely stick to the 10/22 magazines.
I do not normally go to a range somewhere, and burn through boxes of ammo. I normally sight my gun in, then use it for hunting..and with normal hunting how often does one burn through 10 rounds with a single kill?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts