Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a handi in .223 with some cheap scope on it. He is always going on and on about how super accurate it is and how great he is at shooting it. I am not sure what rate of twist is for it but I am pretty sure he shoots light weight bullets.

I have an AR-15 with a match grade Hbar on it good scope and its free floated. I shoot 68gr handloads and practice all the time. I get sick of him always saying how "semis are not accurate, overrated, real guns are made of wood and steel, his handi will out shoot anything, he only needs one shot...blah blah blah"

I have challenged him many times to put his money where his mouth is and he always has some lame excuse, he will not even bring his handi to my house any more.

Is this just because he knows he if full of it as far as handis and accuracy go? is it possible that his handi can out shoot a tuned AR? My best group was 10 shots into 3/8" at 100 yards (off a bench), could he possibly match this with a handi shooting walmart ammo?

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
In a word --- MAYBE , my 223 Handi with a Bull barrel will consistently shoot 1/2" or less all day long with a $70 Barska scope , granted this is with hand loads but the Remingtom Green Box 55 gr, do just about as well .

Like with any gun there are some that are just born shooters , his Handi with a cheap scope will be in the $300 price range , compair that to what you have in your AR and consider even if it only shoots 1" or so at 100 , its still money well spent .

stimpy

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Your buddy doesn't seem like he wants to challenge you so it tells me you may be the better shot. However many handis out there are very accurate. I haven't shot factory ammo, but my first handloads for a 223 handi were my last. I was only shooting 50yds with a 4x scope but after sighting in I put 5 into about .25". I probably couldn't shoot as good as you but dollar for dollar the handi's are hard to beat. I also have a Stag in 223 and I'm lucky to keep 2 1/2 inches at 50 yds with the iron sights. So as a comparison $1100 vs $250 and $100 scope, I guess the handi would win. But each to his own. Here is my sight in target. This 223 barrel was one I bought from a friend and fit good to my receiver. Oh my barrel is 1/12" twist so I couldn't shoot the 68 grainers. I use the Hornady 50 grain super explosives.

JerryKo

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I shoot both an Ultra 223 and I have a Rock River AR. Truth be known the Rock River will smoke the H & R......... BUT........... I have well over 1200 invested in the Rock River and less than 300 in the H & R.

You do not race these guns against each other but you can. I have seen people shoot single shots against AR's and I have seen people in Toyota Corolla's race a Corvette....

Just put the AR against his H & R and use out of the box ammo..... that H & R will keep up up to 150-200 yards. The H & R probably has a 1 in 12 twist (maybe a 1 in 9 on some models).

Money talks.....put a small wager on it.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
By the way,...nice shooting! ;)

JerryKo

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am thinking about buying one in .223, I believe that it would help me conserve ammo. I wish he would come and shoot his with me so I can see for myself how accurate they are. I have a 25-06 handi, its fairly accurate but nothing to write home about.

Can the H&R's be bought with a fast twist barrel? 1x7 or 1x8? even 1x9 would be good with 62gr bullets.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I just read here somewhere that the 1/9" is available. I think there are still 1/12" being sold also so you would have to be wary or maybe specify you want the 1/9". Good luck. I'm working on a 25-06 right now. Did you use factory or handloads?

JerryKo

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
They made 1-9 twist barrel for a little while but then went to 1-12. Dale

·
Super Moderator
51,247 Posts
Not true Dale, ALL .223 current production barrels are 1:9", they switched back and forth in 2006, and the .223 Superlight accessory barrels may still be 1:12", it will be until they run out of the current run, then even they'll be 1:9. ;)

Tim

This is in the FAQs..[/color]

Current production .223 Rem barrels are being made by Marlin with a 1:9" right-hand twist, lands are .219"-.221" and groove is .2240"-.2255". Right now they still have some 1:12" Superlight barrels. (as of 7-5-2007)

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
i doubt you need to worry about the handi.  i had a bushmaster varminter that shot great and all my friends woudl say how good their bolt actions were.  we never had a contest, but i doubt their bolt actions would outshoot the varminter i had. when you consider how little a handi cost and what it takes to make a really nice barrel, you really can't expect the handi to shoot as well as a match barreled firearm.    

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I am partial to single shot rifles. I have three .224 bolt guns that I have converted over to single shots and a Savage Model 40 that came as a single shot. I also have a couple of H&R SB2 frames with 3 barrels each. I really do not like semi-autos very much. With that said, the AR - 15 type semi-autos are amazing as far as accuracy goes, if worked on. I have a Stevens 223 with a Boyds varmint stock, rifle Basix trigger and a A & B barrel. It will shoot as well as your AR-15, maybe better, but did not cost near as much (much more that a Handi though). Of course I can not shoot five rounds as fast as you, but that is not what I like to do. As far as the Handi they get amazing accuracy out of them and they do not cost as much as yours by a long shot. Your buddy will not shoot against you because he probably has not shoot as tight of groups as you have. This could be due to his skills as much as the rifle. A $300 gun that shoots .5 MOA verses an $1000+ gun that shoots .375 groups. I guess it is a matter of what your expectations and preferences are.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Its not me is it?

I have never seen a need to shoot a 10 shot group from my single shot.
It will however put 3 or 5 shot groups inside .5" very consistantly.
Also it has a "trashco" scope on it.

It would be very difficult to shoot 3/8" with a break action rifle. (some can do it though)
You can shoot a whole clip with your finger on the trigger and the target in your scope.
A Handi-man must pick his rifle up, load it and find his target again.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Partsman is correct...Just to make it fair to him...why don't you load 1 round at a time and then shoot against him... :D :D :D

Mac

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
Great looking group Partsman. How did you measure that group? It appears to be 1/2" outside in the picture. If it were truly 1/2" outside to outside then you need to subtract .224 from it to give your true group size which would be .276" No matter what that is a very nice group.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
billy_56081 said:
Great looking group Partsman. How did you measure that group? It appears to be 1/2" outside in the picture. If it were truly 1/2" outside to outside then you need to subtract .224 from it to give your true group size which would be .276" No matter what that is a very nice group.
That's her best group yet.
Consistently it shoots .5" or less.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
dcnewyork: Remember, asking someone how their rifle groups is like asking someone how big the fish was they caught, only the fish gets bigger and the group gets smaller. Only group I believe is one I have watched being shot. Larry

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
My "real world" H&R/NEF .223 Coyote gun with a 22" standard contour barrel and a fixed power 4x Leupold scope will consistently keep 3 to 5 shots or possibly more shots together so you can cover them with a dime, IF I do my part (I have never tried 10 shot groups, but have shot several small groups, one after another).
The answer to your question is yes, I think a good shooting .223 H&R could keep up with your good shooting AR, if both were shot by good shooters. You have a nice shooting gun there and hopefully someday I will have one similar to it, but for now this is what I can afford, and it shoots, and it shoots WELL!!!!....<><....:)

Thanks for the help Tim!!!....<><....:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those are some nice groups guys! I never really thought about the whole having to move off the gun to reload and than realign the sights again; with my AR I just settle in and keep squeezing the trigger.

If I was to buy a handi, should I buy a regular contour or heavy barrel? Obviously they group well, but how well do they hold zero? I am thinking about just buying a new barrel for my 25-06 frame, or should I just buy a whole new gun?

For the record I only have about $650 tied up in my AR; I was able to wheel and deal to get some sweet parts for a small price.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts