Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of my age and where I live and the limited time to hunt and nothing bigger than deer I am thinking of selling off all my TC encore and TCR Rifle Collection and just owning one good bolt action Rifle I have just about made up my mind on the cal. now just need to think about brand. At one time I worked in a large sporting good store so I know the Remington 700, Winchester 70 as well as Remington 721 and 722 also the Ruger 77 wont to stay in the price range of 400.00 to 900.00 so what say you.
I have followed the working mans post.

Deaconllb

·
2,655 Posts
If I were in the market for a quality go to bolt action, I would look at one of the new Winchester / FN made model 70 Featherweights. Very well made, and pretty to look at. If weight is a consideration, The Kimber 84 series rifles are scaled to the caliber, and shave considerable weight compared to most wood stocked bolts, while maintaining 22 / 24 inch barrels and good accuracy. A few bucks out of your $900 ceiling.

Yea, a stainless Savage with a plastic stock is practical, but for that one " go to gun", life is to short for ugly rifles....

Larry

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
if i could use a bolt action the way it's supposed to
be used, i'd have to save my nickles for a while
and find me an hs precision 2000 (factory guaranteed
1/2 moa 30 cal & below) or a nice steyr ssg 69

either one would likely be the last rifle i'd ever need,
but since i couldn't use it i'll stick with what i have now

·
Registered
704 Posts
DEACONLLB said:
Because of my age and where I live and the limited time to hunt and nothing bigger than deer I am thinking of selling off all my TC encore and TCR Rifle Collection and just owning one good bolt action Rifle
Why not just keep one good single-shot rifle? You've already got one of those if you have a TCR and especially if it is the TCR '83 with the double-set trigger.
Do you really need magazine fed, repeating-fire capability for deer hunting? Really?

A single-shot rifle like your TCR or my No.1 has what I think is a huge advantage for a "one rifle" hunter, and it is have a full-length barrel on a firearm that is compact in length. My No.1B in .30-'06 has a 26" barrel and isn't but a tick longer overall than my 20" barrled Marlin 336. I can thread it through the brush of the Cherokee Wildlife Mgt. Area just as easily as I can my 336, and it comes to shoulder and gets on target just as quick, too. If I want to go someplace more "wide open," like Packsaddle WMA or logging clear-cuts in the Kiamichi Mountains, that .30-'06 from a 26" barrel is a lot better for shooting over 200 yards than my "thutty-thutty" is. In brushy areas like the Cherokee WMA, I might not get a second shot, period, no matter what I'm armed with, while at a place like Packsaddle WMA, if I did need a second shot, I could likely still get one. When I moved to Oklahoma, I wasn't for certain I was going to stay, and left most of my gun collection back in California. The first few years I deer hunted here, I got by just fine hunting the Cherokee WMA and a few others not far from Tahlequah, OK with a single-shot H&R Handi-Rifle in .223. I don't think I really needed more rifle than that. Its lack of a magazine wasn't much a handicap to me.

I have just about made up my mind on the cal. now just need to think about brand. At one time I worked in a large sporting good store so I know the Remington 700, Winchester 70 as well as Remington 721 and 722 also the Ruger 77 wont to stay in the price range of 400.00 to 900.00 so what say you.
I'd personally rather have a TCR than a Winchester Model 70, a Remington 721 / 722 / 700, or even a Ruger M77, generally, unless the M77 happened to be an old tang-safety Ultralight in .250 Savage. Then it would be a toss up.

Actually, I guess it wouldn't. I had a TCR '83 that I bought about the same time I bought my M77RL Ultralight in .250 Savage. I only kept the TCR '83 a couple of years -wound up selling it to a collector type who paid me a lot more for it than it was really worth at the time. The M77RL, though, stuck around for 30 years and I plan on keeping it until I die. The .250 Savage isn't unduly handicapped by that rifle's 20" barrel. It shoots as far as I care to shoot at a deer. Mine is exceptionally accurate. It's compact and easy to tote around. But it might as well not have a magazine for all the times I've needed it in the field. The magazine only gets used when I'm in the midst of a sounder of feral swine. On deer, it is "pop and flop," every time.

If my TCR '83 were .243, 6mm, .250 SAV or .257 Roberts instead of .30-'06, I might have more easily resisted the temptation to sell and I would very likely be wishing I still had it here in Oklahoma, where I haven't yet seen a whitetail I couldn't kill stone-cold dead with a .243, and where I've yet to encounter a situation in deer hunting where a .30-'06 was absolutely necessary. A TCR '83 would be just as compact and easy to tote around as my M77RL and I wouldn't miss the magazine it doesn't have.

·
Registered
647 Posts
My go to rifle is a Encore 22 inch in 243 Leupold scope
Real popular rifle right now is the Ruger American- accurate and good price.
Working with Ruger Gunsite in 308 with Warne QD rings and Leupold scope. Took of flash hidder.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Are you settled on a wood or synthetic stock? What kind of deer hunting do you normally do, as in stand hunting or still hunting? I see many Tikka T3s out here in Utah, the TLite synthetic is the most popular I've seen. Tikka also sells them with wood stocks, they have a great reputation all told. I agree with the Winchester Mod 70 Featherweight, but my first choice would be an older one from the '90s. The new FN models are indeed very nice! I am a die hard Remington 700 fan, but I never leave them stock. I always have them pillar bedded, forearm floated, trigger work or replaced, some get Blueprinted. I have had several Mod 700 Synthetics ( the '90s models) that shot well with only some trigger work. I am older myself, and I have some arthritis trying to mess up my hands, so the synthetics seem very cold in late winter...to me. I have a favorite rifle ( a Mod 700 35 Whelen Improved) that has both wood & synthetics stocks. They are pillar bedded, all I have to do is swap them out and torque the action screws to the same torque, still zeroed.
Since you are still thinking, look at some older, used rifles on Gunbroker, Gunsinternational, Williams Gunsite, etc and get an idea of what each model you like is selling for. Also, keep a sharp out on your local classifieds as right after deer season there will be many rifles sold, even check the Pawn shops. Sometimes you can find a gem. Good luck to you Pard, and hey, us old guys are just hunting "smarter" is all, ha.

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the TCR 83 Factory mag frame in the Cal. 223, 243, 25-06- 7mm Rem mag-. 7mm-08- 30-06- 300 win.mag. all are scope mounted, so do not have to replace scope and sight in also a 87 hunter
Of all the cal the 243 is the only one that does not group well and all I have talked to that had the 243 barrel they had the same problem. with only deer hunting the 7 Mag loaded with reduced loads will do it all.
The problem with switch barrel guns is we see a barrel and we think that might be fun we buy it shoot it some put in safe and then we see another and the next thing we know we have a gun and a doz. extra barrels :)

Deaconllb

·
24,003 Posts
yup my choices too. Do some shopping and you should be able to find a cdl or a 70 xrt for that money. Yes you can buy something cheaper and it will probably shoot as well but those two will shoot well and look good enough that a guy can be proud to show them to a friend. By the way an o6 is never a bad choice
Scibaer said:
rem 700 or win 70

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I have had too many run-ins with Ol Murphy to own just "one" rifle, ha. I suggest you get a good bolt gun in say, 30-06 or 308 (deer and hogs, cow elk tag) and keep one of the TCs with the 25-06 barrel (deer , hogs and varmints...it will even work on a cow elk). That way, you will always have a spare if something screws up with your bolt gun or its scope. I hope you get good prices for your collection, it will pay for any customizing or accurizing of your new bolt gun and maybe even an exotic hunt in Texas!

·
24,003 Posts
Got to agree. I wont go to camp for the season without at least two rifles and a handgun.
RevJim said:
I have had too many run-ins with Ol Murphy to own just "one" rifle, ha. I suggest you get a good bolt gun in say, 30-06 or 308 (deer and hogs, cow elk tag) and keep one of the TCs with the 25-06 barrel (deer , hogs and varmints...it will even work on a cow elk). That way, you will always have a spare if something screws up with your bolt gun or its scope. I hope you get good prices for your collection, it will pay for any customizing or accurizing of your new bolt gun and maybe even an exotic hunt in Texas!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Rem 700 used to be the only thing I would own. Had everything from to much headspace, throat to long, scope base holes out of align and possible barrel or receiver threaded out of true. Got one 06 left. Now just a part of a big conglomerate.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
This is a very interesting post, because it has so many subtle issues.

First, if you are seriously thinking about one and only one rifle, and you have chosen the caliber, then there are two things you have to decide before you can choose a brand. First, are you going wood or synthetic on the stock. And second, how much weight can you handle in a rifle. You haven't let us know where you stand on either of those. These are keystones.

Second, I believe that you will find that you simply cannot live with one and only one rifle, unless you hunt one and only one type (or weight) of game. For instance, if you hunt whitetails only, then there are 10 or so excellent calibers to choose from, but don't count on having a great rifle for fox, groundhogs, etc. Yes, the .243 can do it (most of the time), but it is a huge compromise.

If you are looking at one and only one rifle, and can handle the extra weight, then you simply can't beat a used Howa 1500 Lighting in its original synthetic stock. Or, the used Interarms Mark X (or FN commercial Mausers) in their original walnut stocks. All of these can be had in the area of $450 to $600.

If you don't like the extra weight, then it is hard to beat a standard 1980s Remington 700ADL in walnut, or a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 featherweight in walnut. If you are going synthetic here, then the 700 has to be the choice, as there are lots of high quality pillar bedded synthetic stocks out there. For a pre-64 Winchester, forget it, unless you want to pay McMillan about $500 to make a custom one for you.

My dream rifle, which I will probably never get, is to buy a 1980s walnut stocked Remington Model 7 carbine in .308, and then replace the thin whippy 20 inch barrel with a standard weight and contour 22 inch barrel.

And frankly, don't get caught up in the criticisms that "those rifles don't shoot 1/2 groups." Really, who *&#$ cares? Are you going hunting, or are playing paper punch?

If you go with a two rifle choice, it is really hard to beat a .30-06(.308) and a .223. They will cover it all very very well, except for squirrel sized game. For that, you have your shotgun. :)

Hope this helps.

Mannyrock

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Well Deacon,

I can understand downsizing, I've done the same thing myself. I would prefer the Winchester model 70 featherweight myself out of the ones you named as possible candidates. They look nice and fit me well. You didn't say what caliber you preferred but I sure do like the 25-06 or the 257 Roberts or the 250 savage.

Not sure if they ever chambered the post 64 feather weights in 250 but I had a pre 64 model 70 chambered in that caliber that I should never a sold.

Yes for a bolt gun that would be a wonderful gun with a 6x42 Leopoldo on it for deer hunting in your neck of the woods.

·
24,003 Posts
yes they did pastor but not in the featherweight. Ive got a post 64 lightweight carbine in 250. they made a limited run of them around 1986. I bought mine then brand new for a 250 bucks and it had a 25 dollar rebate to boot. I think they made 500 of them 250 with sights and 250 without. Its a real good shooting gun but was twisted 1-14 so it does its best with 87s. I rarely see them for sale and when they are there fetching north of a grand. Wish I would have bought 5 of them but even 250 was tough to come up with back when I had little kids. Its one of those guns that I will die with.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Lloyd,

God must like guns too. Over the years I've changed my mind on the perfect hunting rifle several times. I'd pray and ask God to bring whatever brand and caliber I now felt I needed. And soon He would put one in my path. My latest one was the Ruger RSI in 250 savage. Scarcer than hens teeth but God brought me one in my price range. And it's a good shooter to boot.

Maybe God will help the Deacon fine his dreem gun too. ;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I was wanting to start paring down, too. Sold a couple of rifles, and promptly replaced them with something I liked better. I don't think I can do it. I guess if I was starving and had to buy food for the cat I would part with one, but it would be tough.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.