Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is Infant Baptism an unaccepted pratice by some?

I Believe that in Matthew, Christ is clear as to the status and treatment of little ones.

Matthew 18:

10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones[/color], for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven. 11For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.
12How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?
13And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray.
14Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.

Matthew 19:

13Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them.
14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me[/color]: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
15And he laid his hands on them, and departed thence.

Please find Peace in the KJV and have a Blessed Sunday

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
I think that the most obvious answer is that baptism does not save.
Gods Grace saves and keeps.
Little ones that are below the age of consent--which is not a set age--below the means of understanding, are kept by grace--not infant baptism.
Adults are not kept by baptism--otherwise Mormon and Jehovaw's Witness would be considered kept--as would all who join a chrurch that requires baptism--wheather or not they are believers.
Faith-Grace
Blessings

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
William said it best and well - it's first and foremost, unnecessary. The scripture you quote does not refer to a baptizing of infants at all.

This is not a scolding, but your post while I personally agree called attention to a denomination which is against the rules. Let us refer to the BIBLE since this is a CHRISTIAN BIBLE study. Hence forth ANYONE mentioning a denomination, or specific church doctrine of any denomination, will see his/her post disappear. I am not an editor, I am a moderator. It will no longer be tolerated to ignore such rules.[/color]
Dee,[/color]

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Hello openthedoor:
I enjoy reading your posts, I don't agree with some ideas but find them interesting.
The way I understand the scripture here is that Christ invites them to come and we are not to refuse them the opportunity to do so, if they so desire. This would not include infants because they do not have the ability or intellect to do so on their own volition, which is manditory for one to be saved or born again. It has to be ones own choice.
Baptism is not essential to salvation, otherwise the theif on the cross who asked Christ to remember him would be lost. To be saved one has to have a personal experience with Jesus Christ, we have to accept Him and Him alone for our salvation, no works,and nothing else, its JESUS ONLY. He said , I am the Way the Truth and the Life, no one comes to the Father but by Me. This is what I believe.
I do believe that if at all possible, every Christian/ Believer should be baptized.
HM

·
Registered
42,140 Posts
I believe that baptism has to be a conscious choice and acceptance of Christ, a baby cannot do that, but it'll get em wet. POWDERMAN. ;D ;D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Good morning
The Bible has to be the final guide for life & practice. There is no example of any child being baptised in the Bible. Every time in the New Testement a person is Baptised the issue is addressed with the application of the Truth that the individual already has placed personal Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as their personal Savior.
Consider the first time we see a Baptism in the book of Acts... DELETED BY Dee[/color].. preaches the Gospel of saving Faith in the Lord Jesus then Acts 2:41 states then those who gladly received his word (message) were baptised. From there throughout the New Testament the practice was always Beleivers Baptism.
Yes the Lord Jesus stated we should do everything possible to bring children to Him. Did He Baptise them ? NO.. He taught them Biblical Truth and lived that Truth before their eyes. He made sure His folowers understood little people are as important as big ones. Those who would deceive the little ones with false security should read the whole book of Mathew and take head.
Baptism has always been a means of identifying one self publicly with any religous movement. The Baptism of John was to be identified with the act of repentence and the watching of Biblical Living waiting for the coming Mesiah. Beleivers Baptism is publicly declaring they have individual faith in Christ and are willingly going to follow Christ´s teaching (Bible) in daily life. Now if a baby can those those rational choices and publicly announce their personal faith in Christ then OK.. immerse that new creature in Christ.
Here in Peru it is OK to read the Bible.. it may be OK to attend a DELETED BY Dee[/color] But when a new Bible Beleiver gets Baptised the ONCE AGAIN DELETED BY Dee[/color]
I say.. Read the Bible.. forget what any religous group offers up. THIS IS GOOD ADVICE ON THIS FORUM. Dee[/color] Find out what He Who died for our sins has to say and base your life on that for faith and practice.
Mike in Peru

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
powderman said:
I believe that baptism has to be a conscious choice and acceptance of Christ, a baby cannot do that, but it'll get em wet. POWDERMAN. ;D ;D
TNBilly, and powderman are both correct. Baptism is a CONSICOUS ACT of obedience AFTER A CONSCIOUS conscious ACCEPTANCE OF SALVATION thru Christ. A baby has not reached the age of accountability, and is therefore already saved. It is ONLY WHEN the child reaches an age of awareness that he,or she must make the choice.[/color]
Also the scripture indeed do not have anything to do with the topic.[/color]

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
TNBilly link=topic=185850.msg1099388958#msg1099388958 date=1317918021]
William said it best and well - it's first and foremost, unnecessary. The scripture you quote does not refer to a baptizing of infants at all. DELETED BY Dee[/color]

I don't see any reference to infant baptism anywhere in the Bible.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Most everybody here has it right.. and missionary 555 has explained it succinctly and clearly, when he said;

"The Bible has to be the final guide for life & practice. There is no example of any child being baptised in the Bible. Every time in the New Testement a person is Baptised the issue is addressed with the application of the Truth that the individual already has placed personal Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as their personal Savior".

I might add, the litttle children, until they rteach the "age of accountability"... are covered by and protected by..Jesus' shed blood.

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
William, one is not throwing stones when acknowledging the TRUTH. We are not to judge the individual, but we ARE, to recognize the individuals sin, as sin, and judged accordingly. This is both Biblical, and a directory from God Himself[/color].

MATTHEW CHAPTER 18 VERSES 15 THRU 22.[/color]

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Dee
Don't disagree. The point is we got tossed for some amount of rock throwing before.
Post what you have got to say about the subject and leave out the personal side bar out of it.
Now--we are not moderators on this go around, other wise I might have changed the wording. I enjoy the talk and learn from it---I would like to stay with it for a while.
Blessings

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
Then perhaps the TITLE of the thread should not be allowed. It most certainly points a finger. [/color]
As far as moderating Bible studies, history clarifies I resigned, and left that to you.[/color] ;)

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
DELETED BY Dee. NO CHURCH DENOMONATIONAL DOCTRINE OR THEORY![/color]

I go with Paul who said "when you believed you were sealed with the Holy Spirit, a guarantee of the inheritance that is held for you". So I can't go with the act of participation in baptism as being anything more than an act of obedience, while sacred but not salvation giving, through which a confessing believer that has exemplified a life of faith and saving belief, publicly aligns self with Christ, baptism symbolizing the death of the old man and rebirth through Christ to newness of life. Believer's Baptism.

lc

·
Premium Member
14,631 Posts
ironglow said:

I might add, the litttle children, until they reach the "age of accountability"... are covered by and protected by..Jesus' shed blood.

Is there is a passage to this effect or is this a presumption?

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
scatterbrain said:
ironglow said:

I might add, the litttle children, until they reach the "age of accountability"... are covered by and protected by..Jesus' shed blood.

Is there is a passage to this effect or is this a presumption?
2nd Samual Chapter 12, verses 21 thru 23. [/color]God tells King David that his recently deceased infant son will be waiting on him in Heaven.[/color]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts