Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add to the collection and am considering a 308 based cartridge, or the 30-06 based cartridge. Ballistically they are very close. (.260rem vs. .270win) Are the short action calibers inherently more accurate due to a shorter action being stiffer? Does this really matter for a hunting rifle. The weight difference on the guns seem neglibible, especially since I am carrying excess lbs. Any thoughts from the technical stand point. Thanks, Curly

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Probably a little bit, but not enough to worry about it in the field. I think that the loading companies did at one time take more care with some rounds than others. That gave the appearance of better accuracy. Now they have their premium loads so any difference from one cartridge to another is mostly accidental. :roll:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Accuracy

I believe developing the optimum load, using a good bench rest and technique have more of an impact on accuracy than long or short action. For hunting purposes it makes no difference. The only ones that would be able to tell the difference would be competitve bench rest shooter.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Technically speaking powder packed into shorter columns, shorter cases, tend to burn the powder more efficiently than a longer powder column. Also the shorter the action the stiffer the action which translates into a more accurate rifle. This is the premise behind the line of short magnums(WSM and WSSM) type of cartridges. Will you see the difference in a normal hunting rifle? Most likely not but there is a difference. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
My thinking is in a custom built trued and blueprinted rifle shooting good hand loads, and on a perfect day with no wind, while in the hands of an expert marksman, the short action would be inherently more accurate......

In the real world.......I doubt I could tell any difference.......Shooting off hand or with shooting sticks, or any way short of bench rest, the stability of the rifle would be the determining factor......JMO :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Your not making it any easier to replace the .270 with a new short action. I am trying to justify it to myself. The scales are heavily tipped when I balance want vs need. New baby eliminates keeping both.

·
Registered
757 Posts
To me once you close the bolt the action doesn't count. You look to chamber,barrel and making everything concentric. Look at some of the groups at 1000yd matches and we know about the BR rifles. Now as to the short powder column sure it works for the Br guys but not in the wssm and wsm cases. There is problems you get a real bad spike in pressure with the wsm case and the wssm case doesn't expand all the time. Randy from BIB bullets has been working on the wsm case to make some improvements. I've got a custom 300wsm with a broughton 5c barrel you can lose the case after one firing.
Val made the most correct statement given so far please don' be offend anyone. Making a round concentric to the chamber is the base for small groups, seating depth and neck tension then come into play. Bag technique is a must. You also need a rifle that will let you know what has to be done and normally that isn't a factory rifle. I let afew guys at the range shoot my Br rifles and if they pay attention to some of the instructions in about 50 rds they get the hang of bag technique. It's a whole different world.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
New baby eliminates keeping both.

I understand..........God first. Family second. Country third. Your hearts in the right place. I'm sure the joy of the new baby will far exceed what you would get from cold hard steel and a piece of wood. All things each have there time..........Now when the baby wants a rifle your in good shape! You just might have to give it a few years, that's all!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Victor Charlie. The little man is an early riser at 0600 hrs. That is a good start towards hunting and fishing. Interesting thread on the 1000 yd rifles in that many of them are long action cartridges. Not that I would want to shoot that distance. The short action appeals for lighter weight since the hills where I hunt are getting steeper, and taller by the year. I don't remember this phenomenon from geography class.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.