Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made my drop tube out of copper tubing from the hardware store and will fabricate a funnel from a aluminum can but what does one use to accurately measure the powder with that you dump down the drop tube? I have been using a muzzle loading powder measure but wouldn't it be more accurate to weigh the powder then drop it down the tube and compress and seat the bullet? I am trying to keep the mess down since the black is so flammable I don't want any hitting the floor and over time leaving fine dust that I can't see to clean up. :shock: :eek: :oops: :cry:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Charles

Dixie has a device that you clamp to your bench, attach your can of powder, and it dispenses powder into your measure. In my 2002 catalog it's on page 294 and is part number:

QA3400 Black Powder Dispenser....... $ 39.95

It sounds like this is precisely what you are looking for. Check out their choices of powder measures also.

·
Registered
43 Posts
instead of a powder measure

Lee reloading sells a plastic dipper set with tables for black powder. Cheap!

In the 2002 Dixie Catalog on page 674 tells how to make powder measures form 2 grain weight up to 75 grain wt. by using brass cartridges cases. If you shoot black powder the Dixie catalog is a must its rear resource section is very useful and has lots of examples on how to's and what is's and useful knowledge like the above example.

FRED...........................

To it to Them Before They Do It To You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
281 Posts
Of course, you could always use the old rule of thumb taught to me by the first guy I ever talked about Black Powder with: "Pour in powder 'til you get scared." This has some obvious positive-feedback results; I never used it myself.
I wonder what ever happened to that guy? Hmmm...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Many years ago I was taught to place a ball in your hand and then pour powder on the ball until covered. This was proper for the muzzle loader. Then I graduated to cartridge rifles (1969). Using the KISS principle again, I simply poured powder in the case until full and carded off level. I did this for many, many more years. I've just recently (re)discovered my old lyman 55. It's faster and just as accurate!

TL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts