Graybeard Outdoors banner

Interested in a 444 Marlin Handi

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  45/70fan 
#1 ·
I am interested in the 444 Handi. I was curious of the pros and cons of this caliber in a Handi.
Mainly want to be sure it isn't like some of the finicky calibers like 243 or one that has a different rate of twist on an H&R than say other manufacturers.
Any help would be appreciated.

Stew

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I can't think of any cons other than it isn't a 45-70! :tango_face_smile_bi If given a choice I'd choose a late production(2007-on) 1:20" extractor over an older 1:38" ejector particularly if you want to shoot heavier bullets.

Tim

#3 ·
I can't think of any cons other than it isn't a 45-70! :tango_face_smile_bi If given a choice I'd choose a late production(2007-on) 1:20" extractor over an older 1:38" ejector particularly if you want to shoot heavier bullets.

Tim
Good point. Very good point. Thanks

#4 ·
Stew, I do believe you would like Hornady 240 gr XTP's in either twist barrel. They are accurate and deadly on white tails out of my 1:38 twist 44 Mag Ruger Deerfield. Out of a 444 I'd bet you'd have a solid 200 yard gun.

#5 ·
Go out and shoot what you have then reload and repeat. Life's too short to have guns in the safe you've never shot and to watch Tapatalk every second for the next buy in GBO Classifieds to sell for a profit on Fleabay deal you can make...

Thanks, Dinny

#7 ·
Go out and shoot what you have then reload and repeat. Life's too short to have guns in the safe you've never shot and to watch Tapatalk every second for the next buy in GBO Classifieds to sell for a profit on Fleabay deal you can make...

Thanks, Dinny
Ok here we go again moderator. Maybe I prefer accumulating and handing down to my kids. How I spend my money is my choice. What I buy is my choice. What I sell is my choice. To be honest about selling on fleabay. I always offer to the gbo forum first and if no takers, and yes if it dont sell here and I make double what I offered to you guys first, so be it. With that said, thank you to the guys with the feedback and for those who are not spiteful and have sent PMs to offer barrels and load data.

#8 ·
Thanks Shaner. I notice a lot of different grain factory loads out there for it. Good feedback.

#11 ·
just me- i'd wait until after the first of the year when
everyone is getting rid of their unwanted hunting guns
and gear, individuals and stores both.
the better part of my clothing and firearms are bought that way.

as many as are out there, you shouldn't have to pay a
premium price for what you want

#12 ·
just me- i'd wait until after the first of the year when

everyone is getting rid of their unwanted hunting guns

and gear, individuals and stores both.

the better part of my clothing and firearms are bought that way.

as many as are out there, you shouldn't have to pay a

premium price for what you want
Ranger99, that's a great idea. Well before H&R went belly up the 444 seemed to be the rifle caliber all of the box stores were loaded with. I will keep my eyes peeled to add to my accumulating Handis.

#13 ·
Go for it, they're good shooters, my first was a 2007 new production 1:20", the other is my 444 Superlight, a 44 mag Youth Superlight with 20" 1:38" barrel that I rechambered and milled octagon (275gr Hawk pic), all shot from 100yds.

Tim

Attachments

#16 ·
Tim that is great groups. Convinced me. That custom ultralight sounds like a work of art. I will try to find pics on your other posts.

#14 ·
I give it 6 months or less before it's on Fleabay for double what it sells for.

Thanks, Dinny

#15 ·
Maybe but I will offer it here first at a more than reasonable price first. Oh wait you said you got great deals and made good money on handi stuff at 24hr campfire site. May try that.

#17 ·
tim nailed it. 444marlin with quucker tern rate rocks from mild to wild and anywhere in between.

#19 ·
I had three Marlins in trip4. All three generations. Bought right. Sold for large profits. Buyers where very happy. My bank account was happy.

I have no “dog” in this but I like all (both) you guys so here is my piece.

I buy guns cause I enjoy guns but in the back of my mind they are an investment. As Im crap at saving. Back in 2000 I was fired from my job when my employer was bought out. First all Management went then middle Management (ME) I had just bought a new house and was panic-in a bit. I sold off all my Commemoratives and then all ”doubles” (like Two M66 S&W ) Lastly my Contenders went. I paid nearly 40K on my mortgage and that took the heat off till I was again gainfully employed. Bottom line I dont buy with intension of selling for profit (Not that thats wrong) but I buy at best cost so I have room to sell later. I just hope If I die, my wife dont sell for what I told her I paid! :/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thats capitalism its built this country. By low and sell high. If your ruthless it can get mean. If you have a heart you sell cheaper to friends and family or someone you care/respect. Bottom line as I see it its no ones business.

Now off my soap box...

I never was a 43 caliber guy. I can respect there attributes but always leaned to the 45 as my “big bore” There was nothing a 43 could do that a 45 couldn't do better. No real reason, only I seem drawn to calibers out of the norm.

If ya want it BUY IT! If its not you, SELL IT!

CW

#20 ·
Well said Brian, thank you!

#21 ·
Exactly right CW. I've bought and sold a bunch. Most sales I've made out ok, a couple hit home runs, a couple broke even or lost a little. My last two buys, I paid a little high for the 20 ga USH barrel (ended up looking in new condition tho) and well low for the 30/30 barrel with scope. Finally I'm settled in and very happy with my current Handi collection and they won't buy sold in the foreseeable future. Love my 30/30 Frankengun, camo 357 Maggy, camo 20 ga USH, and my cut and choked 20 ga Topper Jr. After several 45/70 Handi's I ended up with a Henry 45/70, mostly just because I've long wanted a Henry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.