Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched this video today by Jerry Miculek and thought some of you would find it interesting. He tests various handgun and other cartridges through glass and car doors. Very informative.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I wish he had done a little with the 9mm and .40. Since they are the most likely to used.
Would be very interesting to compare 62gr or heavier in .223 to the 55gr.

JD

·
23,150 Posts
44 mag with a 300 grain hard cast lfn!! Even a 357 with a 158 hard cast lfn.

·
Registered
Handgun Hunter, Target Shooter
9 Posts
I got to look over an S10 pickup truck used in a bank robbery in Arkansas years ago. Two officers just happened to be just down the street at the donut shop when the call came in. They headed towards the bank on foot, one on each side of the street. They saw the robbers coming out of the bank after firing shots, and get into the get away vehicle. The officers opened fire, one with a 9mm, and the other had a 40 S&W as the truck approached down the street. The S10 was hit in the radiator which ended up disabling the vehicle. One round went through the air dam and hit a tire. I believe three bullets hit the door's down in the metal area. Neither the 9mm nor the 40 went all the way through the doors. One round went through one side of the bed, and one round hit a tail light. No rounds hit glass at all. I was really shocked that neither the 40 S&W nor 9mm went all the way through the doors on an S10 at under 30 feet.
I have shot windshields in Law Enforcement Sniper Classes. A 308 will go through a vehicle windshield, but will normally be deflected to some degree.
Last year at the Range the local PD and Sherriff's Department had a really good class where they fired through the windshield of a patrol car simulating an ambush. If I remember correctly they used both handguns, and AR15's in the training. Someone commented that they had seen this training done with an in service patrol car. They had the local glass shop show up and put a new windshield in and vacuum up the glass when they were done with training.

Bob R

1 - 5 of 5 Posts