Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, why try and make a 45-70 into something it's not. I'm intriqued however. Does anybody use the Barnes 250 grainers in their 45-70's? If so, like em'? hate em'? I've found one link with a load:

http://www.reloadersnest.com/detail.asp?CaliberID=91&BulletWeight=250&LoadID=9674

No pressure numbers listed however :( Just curious, I love my 45-70 and would enjoy making it even more versatile. Don't get down on me too much for this one, I'd love some honest input. Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
Speaking of 500gr AGS....the one on the left.... :eek:

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
The 250gr barnes has an SD of .170 and .172 BC. For comparison, the 300gr Nosler partition has an SD of .204 and .199 BC.

Tim

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Can't speak for this Barnes bullet...but the 300 grain Nosler is my most favorite bullet for the 45-70...and it does a super job on whitetails...

Mac

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I usually use Hornady's 300 grainer with a whole bunch of 4198 behind it and couldn't be happier. I have the barnes manual and they only load it up to 2401fps (ruger loads), I am getting more than that with my 300's, but the Barnes book is quite lite on all of their 45-70 stuff so I've stuck to other sources. I think that with the BC barrel that I have I may be able to get some pretty good speed out of this sucker. Loading up gradually and checking for pressure signs of course. Any thoughts??

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
Matt, nothing that really helps you, but I've not shot or loaded the X bullets in anything, yet....I'm gonna load the 350gr XFB .411" bullet in my 405 Winchester from a rechamber/rebored 28" H&R Target barrel when I get it back from the smith, hope to make some good loads for it later this summer. With a BC of .536 and an SD of .296, it should be a shooter with some wollup!! It's the bullet second from the right....the one on the right is the (correction) 300gr Nosler partition .458".

Tim

·
Registered
381 Posts
I stopped trying new stuff with my .45-70 when it started shooting 3/4" groups at 100 yards with a 300 grain cast bullet. I figured nothing would do better than that.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If I remember correctly, yes it pertains to factory ammo, but didn't
either Federal and or Winchester sell 250 grain offerings for the
45/70? Reason I ask, is because I remember seeing them several
years ago at the local outfitters. Second,doesn't PMC Silverline
ammo for this old girl something close to what he was loading the 250 gr at?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts