Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16 week old weimaraner pup, and I want to introduce him to water. I went to the river last night and stood a few feet out in the water while he wondered confused on the bank. he did step in a few times, but didn't seem to like it. What else should I do?
Cheers,
willis5

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just keep doing what you're doing. The more familiar a pup is with the water the more apt it will be to take the plunge. Just keep taking it around the water. Start it on fetching. When it gets to a point where its' a competent retriever, and is comfortable with the water, toss the dummy into the water a few feet. Gradually increase the distance until the dog has to pull its' feet off the bottom and swim.
I've had a couple of Labs that would swim out for a dummy at less than 12 weeks of age. My last one wouldn't take his feet off bottom until he was 7 months old and I shot the first duck in front of him. Then he jumped in and retrieved it as if he'd been doing it all along.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! I am going to take him more and more. He will retrieve now (as long as I don't throw it 50 yards away :lol: ) so I will get him familiar with the water before I throw a dummy in. I was going to just thow it in, but that makes more sense. thanks
Cheers,
willis5

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
took him today and he is still a little iffy about stepping in. I was playing fetch with him and I decided to throw it in the water about a foot. we were on a boat ramp and he would put both feet in to get it, but he would jump right out to bring it to me. he seemed timid abou the water... I don't think he liked the cold temp. 50 degrees or so. (hey I never said that weimaraners were as tough as chessies or labs with cold water) What do you think?
cheers,
willis5

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Jumping In

This may or may not happen. My male will jump 5 feet off the bank into the river on a retrieve and go through about anything. Of course he is a 120 pound bull of a lab. My female was more timid, girlish like about entering the water. She'd walk up and gentle sway in. She'd still bring back everything but in her own way.

Keep up the gentle entry into the water. Even if you can find puddles, deeper and deeper that the two of you can walk through together. I would play with mine in the water as your doing with the dumy until one day they both just went over ther heads.

We would do water retrieves about every other day. Some days though the interest would not be there and that's OK, we just made them play days. Keep it up, my lab did his first double retrieve at about seven months.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not expecting 5 foot jumps cause I know his attitude about water now, but I have had dogs that would do that and man can they be fun to play with! Nothing like a dog that will retrieve like that.
I am putting the time in with him, but this is MY first dog tha I am training. i appreciate your help! It sounds like you have your ducks in a row with your dogs. Good luck when the birds start pitching in.

Cheers,
willis5

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
It helps

helps when you have good stock to work from. Some dogs are just not hunters or retrievers. I have been lucky and being divorced makes it easier.

As they say: "It is hard to soar like an eagle when all you have to work with is turkeys."

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ntroduced my pointer to the pool very early hes faster and a better swimmer than my lab and we all know how they like water. I think its just a matter of how they are introduced and what fun they derive from it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way guys,
he swims like a champ now and retrives even the largest of geese
Cheers,
Billy

·
Registered
330 Posts
Willis,

Great job!! And may you have years of enjoyment with your dog......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts