Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Ditto.
It really opens up bullet choice.
The only other rifles that allow spitzer loads at the moment are single shots like the H&R/NEF or T/C.
Any clues?

· Premium Member
1,570 Posts
The 340 on GunBroker is really nice.
What sort of scope mounts do you use for them?

· Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Snowshoe said:
When reloading for them, you have to watch the bullet length. Bullet like the Nosler BT are too elongated, and will not fit in the clip. My wife prefers to use Remington 125g psp bullets, and has taken lots of deer with them.
So in reality if you really want to muck with serious spitzers you need to either seat the bullets really deep, risking compressed loads, or buy a H&R/NEF single shot and put up with the slower reload. :|
Has she tried some hotter loads or isn't the action up to that sort of thing?

· Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Re: Bolt action 30-30 ?

RaySendero said:
coyote trapper1928 said:
Hi:

Is there any gun manufacturer that makes a bolt action 30-30 ?

Thanks,
ct,
Have you considered a bolt rifle in 7.62x39?
CZ chambers one in their model 527. A 7.62x39 has similar balistics to the 30-30 as both can carry about 1000 ft-lbs energy to 150 or so. You won't have to deal with the 30-30 rim in a bolt action. Plus 7.62x39 plinking ammo is 1/2 to 1/3 the price of 30-30.
Here we go again..... :roll:
A 30-30 has better ballistics when it uses flat-points and the '39 uses spitzers.
The 30-30 also has more power.
I'd sooner go out and buy a lever gun in 30-30 than a bolt in 7.62x39.
A '39 can't effectively use anything heavier than a 125gn bullet and there is so much more out there for the 30-30.
So ammo is cheaper.....I wouldn't use some of that ex-mil stuff as a boat anchor, let alone put it in my gun.
Sorry if I come across as a little passionate about this but I don't like the '39 as a hunting cartridge and I don't see it as a ready alternative.
Perfect for AKs and SKSs with quick follow-up shots or in short burst but not otherwise.
But that, of course, is just my opinion.
Sorry if I offended but it's just the way I feel. :|

· Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Seems to me that if you really want to play with spitzers in a 30-30 you should either get a custom built on something like a SMLE action or buy a little single shot so you can seat the bullet nice and close to the lands.
In fact, a SMLE seems like the perfect combination since its limit is 45,000 CUP suiting 30-30's low pressure, and it's also a fast cycling action with plenty of room in the mag.
What is the case head size of the 30-30 as compared to the .303 Brit?
In other words, would you have to alter the bolt face much, if at all, to re-barrel a SMLE to 30-30?
I think a 22" bull barrel would suit a SMLE 30-30 as a fast handling brush gun.

· Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I didn't talk about accuracy.
And if we want to mess around with handloads I'm sure a modern levergun wouldn't have that many problems at 50yards since that's your point of reference, leftoverdj.
200yds is also a bit optimistic for a '39, IMO, so while the energy is fine it doesn't seem incredibly relevant to me.
Alot of people would agree with me on that point whether or not you do.
Plenty of .22lrs are astoundly accurate and effective at 50yds but at 100yds......
I'm not comparing them, I'm just making a point.
Don't get me wrong, SKSs and SKs were very popular pig guns here in Oz(before they were banned!) in 7.62x39 because it was close scrub work and close followup shots were fast.
But outside 130yds with a bolt gun I'd be vary wary to hit anything of a decent size that could turn on you or make a hasty exit.
Maybe the fact that it was designed as a "people-bullet" for a "people-firearm" makes me less inclined.
I know the 30-06, 303 and 308 were too but they all deliver more thump than a '39 at far longer range. :roll:
Anyhow, you know what I think and I'm unlikely to change my mind. :wink:
Give me H&R single shot in 30-30 anyday of the week. :grin:
All finished.
Now, is that a lynch mob I can hear? :| :shock:
It'd certainly account for all those flamin' torches! :-D :mrgreen:

P.S. Ramrod, I was interested in rechambering a SMLE because 30 cal has a great range of bullets available.
That and SMLEs are cheap and plentiful.

· Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Y'know, I abhor people who speak in the third person or quote themselves but at the risk of being called a hypocrite I believe this warranted.
kombi1976 said:
Anyhow, you know what I think and I'm unlikely to change my mind.
leftoverdj said:
Bullet don't care what shell it came out of, and neither does the deer.
Nope, but I do. :?
That's my last word on the '39 for this thread.
Has anyone got anything interesting or pertinent to add about the 30-30 in a bolt gun or single shot 'cause I love to hear it. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.