Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Guys,

I am looking at an old lever action, that somebody "refinished." It had some moderate external pitting, and they "refinished" right over the pitting.

The new finish is a dull silver. It is almost a peuter color. And its pretty thick.

The description says that the rifle was "parkerized." My plan is to remove this finish and start over on it.

Is there any way to tell if this was truly parkerized, as opposed to cerakoted or duracoated?

The reason I ask is that there are very different methods for removing the different finishes.

Thanks for any info.

Mannyrock

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you look very closely at the finish if it is parkerized it should be rough and almost have a crystalline texture unless it is well worn. Zinc is gray Manganese is dark gray to black. Generally you bead or abrasive blast the surface prior to Parkerizing. If it looks like paint it probably is one of the "kote" finishes.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Ceracoting comes in dull gray and dozens of other colors. Ceracote is slippery since it is a ceramic. Bead blasting will remove it though. It does NOT look like paint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts