Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every time I see a Harley or a Corvette I think that the owner is in his midlife crisis stage. Are young people attracted to these marques? It seems to me that, for cars, young people are attracted to Porsches and Audis and BMWs and other non-corvette sporty cars. For motorcycles, it seems the only young people I see riding them are on bikes that are scooters, mopeds, and a few sport bikes.

What ever happened to the motorcycle industry? a lot of people used to ride them.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
its the $$ to expensive for the young working for 15$ a hr max, most young kids like to fit in with the crowd the rebel of the past males are not the in thing also

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I should have said young professionals. Like people in the 35 to 45 age range. People with the money, but who are buying other things like BMWs instead.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Maybe I should have said young professionals. Like people in the 35 to 45 age range. People with the money, but who are buying other things like BMWs instead.
the want to imitate Europeans not usa Americans any more make globalists great in thier minds they hate any symbols of the usa
:tango_face_crying:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Younger people just aren't attracted to cars and motorcycles like we were.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know about that. I know BMW and Audi and Mercedes etc drivers that are true patriots and have the decorations to prove it.

·
23,845 Posts
Being in the Harley business I can tell you why.
CREDIT!
Young folks have ruined theirs.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Younger people just aren't attracted to cars and motorcycles like we were.
true there into green electric bikes and cars and high tech, harleys are old tech loud and reminds them of the old past americans they hate, now they want to look like they not hurting the environment in anyway a global rainbow butterfly gasoline cars and bikes are evil in thier minds like guns are also

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
CREDIT!

I don't know if Harley's credit department has changed in the last few years but they used to be extremely hard to deal with. My son decided to buy a Harley and had no credit rating because he had been paying cash for things for years. I co-signed with him and I have excellent credit. No go. He lived in a trailer that was set up in a combo motel/small trailer park and the mailing address was just listed as a motel. No amount of explanation made any difference. The salesman pointed out to them if it were me buying the bike The sale would have already been done. I contacted the credit manager and pointed out since I was the co-signer that the sale was actually to me and I was not real nice about it. He did agreed with me but still no loan. We told them to **** with Harley credit. My son went to the local savings and loan and had the money within two hours because I offered to cosign but they checked him out and said no need. He's riding a new bike now and guess where he financed it.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know if Harley's credit department has changed in the last few years but they used to be extremely hard to deal with. My son decided to buy a Harley and had no credit rating because he had been paying cash for things for years. I co-signed with him and I have excellent credit. No go. He lived in a trailer that was set up in a combo motel/small trailer park and the mailing address was just listed as a motel. No amount of explanation made any difference. The salesman pointed out to them if it were me buying the bike The sale would have already been done. I contacted the credit manager and pointed out since I was the co-signer that the sale was actually to me and I was not real nice about it. He did agreed with me but still no loan. We told them to **** with Harley credit. My son went to the local savings and loan and had the money within two hours because I offered to cosign but they checked him out and said no need. He's riding a new bike now and guess where he financed it.
That probably says a lot about the kinds of people they want and expect as customers.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Around Indianapolis most of the young kids that are into cars and have decent income seem to favor older rear wheel drive American cars. And they tend to spend a considerable amount of money making them exactly the way they want them. My son has built a fairly good part time business building them custom parts.

After I got fed up with teaching, I had a performance oriented motorcycle shop for 20 years. I retired in 93 and by that time the popularity of bikes was fading. High prices, fuel injection and computer controls which hindered making the bike the way they wanted it, and traffic congestion were the major reasons I heard from customers for giving them up.

Does it take a crisis to acquire a nice toy? I suspect for the average person midlife is the time that they have expendable money.

·
23,845 Posts
CREDIT!
Well, that's very interesting. Are you seeing people with good incomes but poor credit?
Our biggest problem is 600, and below credit scores.
Most of our customers are way younger than me, but have over extended their credit, or have late, or no pays.

·
23,845 Posts
CREDIT!

Harley stores don't have a "credit dept.".
They deal with a bank just like car dealers do.

The simple solution would have been to remove your son from the credit app, and sell the bike to your "excellent credit".
We do it every day.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's only one answer to the question of whether a parent is willing to cosign for a loan: No.

Not just no, but **** no.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Before cell phones you had to meet face to face for the most part to interact, thus the need for transportation. Use to also be easier whether motorcycles or autos to find "fixer uppers" and get them back on the road with more of a time investment than money. Society needs and wants change and we are seeing another shift. The median age at a typical Guzzi Rally is around 60+ and probably about the same for H-Ds I would guess.
GuzziJohn

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The shocking thing to me is that back in the 1970s and 1980s when I was riding there were Honda 4s, Kawy's, Suzy's, and Yammy's all over the place. Good size bikes, in the 500 to 1100 CC range. There were some Triumphs, beezers, Nortons, guzzles, and Beemers too. Harleys were mostly old customs or new junk back then, key word junk for the new ones.

Today it's a handful of smallish bikes, high end bikes especially Harleys but some can ams, Beemers and the occasional duke and the rare gootzee. Did the industry collapse? Same with dirt bikes. I don't see them much. They used to be very common. Same with mini bikes (ie briggs or Tecumseh engines and centrifugal clutches)

Did the industry collapse?

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
When I ride my Harley, most older folks say "it sounds nice", but the younger folks hate the sound! BUT, if any "inline engine" bike comes along, especially with a pipe on it, they start drooling!!

DM

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Harley stores don't have a "credit dept.".
They deal with a bank just like car dealers do.

The simple solution would have been to remove your son from the credit app, and sell the bike to your "excellent credit".
We do it every day.

Well, they did when he was trying to finance the bike I mentioned. I know this because I was there and signed my name as co-signer right back there in the credit managers office at the HD dealership. It's been several years since this took place.They have probably wised up, realised it was costing them sales, and switched to banks.

The simple solution was go to some lending company that was run by people with a bit of common sense. In this case it was the local credit union. Since then he has financed another HD and an suv with them. No hassle, just fill out the papers, run it past the lending officer, and do the deal.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Today it's a handful of smallish bikes, high end bikes especially Harleys but some can ams, Beemers and the occasional duke and the rare gootzee. Did the industry collapse? Same with dirt bikes. I don't see them much. They used to be very common. Same with mini bikes (ie briggs or Tecumseh engines and centrifugal clutches)
Did the industry collapse?
Society has changed, one item is there are too **** many people who think other people should do as they do, only.

My first motorcycle was a Honda 305 Scrambler that I rode of road BUT I could go out to many gravel pits and have at it no problem.Those gravel pits are gone and the few that are around have fences and gate now.
No where to ride plus kids are not as gung ho -- I've had worse -- if they get busted up as they used to be. Now there is some scum bag lawyer willing to sue some one for their stupidity.
From the sixties into the nineties motorcycle road racing was BIG, the Daytona 200 had a write up in every motor sport magazine, now it is -- do they still race there?

Among gear heads who followed motorcycle racing American riders were dominating World Gran Prix racing from the seventies to the nineties, road racing was so popular Harley Davidson made a serious attempt.
That is ALL GONE now in the U.S.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts