Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I could google to see the legality before having an SBR. Is the Handi 300 BO the shortest production rifle. I plan on having a few shorty's built up. Maybe if I find a good deal on a sportster, I'll have a matching 22 LR. What's your shortest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Yes and No answers your question. The OAL of a rifle barrel must be at least 16", however, that may not be the true length of the rifling. If an extension of sorts (muzzle brake, flash hider, etc) is permanently attached it can make up for the 16" requirement. Here are a few examples.

Non-SBR 11" barrel:
http://www.tacticalsol.com/tsar300/gdw3p4zss04vons8u31ce4n4gb1phn

This barrel is only 14" long, but the pinned and welded brake gives it a boost to 16"

I sold that short Maxi because the blast was too much for me. The buyer rechambered it to .358 Win. :eek:

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
My daughter has a pink 22 cricket that just meets the regs. Just a shade over 16". Shoots great for what it is.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
And over 26" OAL.

Scott

·
Registered
469 Posts
I wasted a lot of hard earned money to learn that there is a point of diminished returns concerning barrel length. You can swing a 20 inch barrel just as easy as an 18 or 16. When you get under 18 the noise and muzzle blast increases to a point that makes the gun uncomfortable to me. So now I rarely go under 18 on a Handi and 20 inches on my bolt guns.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Bluejay75 said:
I wasted a lot of hard earned money to learn that there is a point of diminished returns concerning barrel length. You can swing a 20 inch barrel just as easy as an 18 or 16. When you get under 18 the noise and muzzle blast increases to a point that makes the gun uncomfortable to me. So now I rarely go under 18 on a Handi and 20 inches on my bolt guns.
that is the truth !!! ;D

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Bluejay75 said:
gendoc said:
that is the truth !!! ;D
YUP,
I LOVE my shorties! But shorties are NOT best for all calibers!! Personally speaking I like handgun calibers and shotguns for shorties. RIFLE calibers become UNfriendly FAST with short barrels..

Back when the SOCOM was offered from Springfield armory I loved the look and had to have one... Luckily a friend bought one and saved me from a HUGE mistake... Its blast from the 308 in a 16" barrel HURT!

I have seen guy all cought up in the shorty hysteria of some posts and have tried to suggest some calibers are not fun as shorties... **** I dont shoot my Marlin Marauders for this very reason!!

BTW FEDERAL regulations call for a 16" barrel and or OAL of 26" as MINIMUMS. your state could be different...mine is. (flipin liberals)

CW

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
My shortest shorty Handis are my two 16.5 inch Maxis, a .445 and a .45-70. The next are 18 inches: .38-55, .356/.358 and soon to be joined by a .30-40. I also have an 18 inch Savage Maxi over 20 ga.

Now here's a real shorty cannon. It ain't mine and I don't want it:

Pete

Century Arms .45-70 Revolver:

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Yeah, Dinny, I know. I showed the Century because 25 years ago my LGS had two on the shelf. I met my friend Kevin Anderson, Luce County Sheriff, at a gun show a while back. I asked if he remembered who bought them. He said a friend of his got one of them. I asked if he had tried it. He said "Yeah, one shot" :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Kevin is a superb and experienced handgun shooter.

Pete

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
The AAC Handi is 30 inches oal, and that is with a youth stock. The only practical way to meet the 16 inch minimum barrel length AND come close to the 26 inch overall length minimum is to have a ridiculously short stock or have a bullpup rifle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here's something you may find interesting concerning overall gun length. I carry a reduced copy of this in the pistol grip of my 10/22 with a Butler Creek folding stock sporting a 16" bbl. Local laws may very & I am certainly not an attorney. Couldn't find original version this was made by enlarging reduce version I carry on the gun.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Bluejay75 said:
18 is as short as I go these days. From left to right. 45 Colt, 12Ga and 30-30 with a pistol scope. They all fit in the bag on the right.
VERY nice BJ75!!!!

I have a 16.25 22Magnum.

It's very compact and not appreciably louder than longer Bbls something else to know is some calibers are more efficient than others. Meaning some loose more velocity while others no. Some flash badly others no. As a re loader you can use lower flash powders or faster burning powders to refuse the flash and keep velocities up.

CW

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a "shorty" 357 Maximum (an 8" Dan Wesson) that felt like a bomb going off in my lap every time I fired it. Sold it and bought a 357 magnum Handi and turned it into a Maximum and LOVE it. Much more pleasant to shoot........

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
gunauthor said:
I had a "shorty" 357 Maximum (an 8" Dan Wesson) that felt like a bomb going off in my lap every time I fired it. Sold it and bought a 357 magnum Handi and turned it into a Maximum and LOVE it. Much more pleasant to shoot........
My first Maxi was a 10" bull contender... sold it for a 14" and then a 21" all contenders before gettign the H&R. My first H&R is 17", my second is still 21". All are maximum. :)

CW

·
Registered
355 Posts
My 18" 357 max/12gauge combo is my shortest rifle.

The entire thing with both barrels fits tidily in a violin case.

Picked up a second case for a revolver, ammo, and cleaning & range supplies, and I can hit the range without advertising to everyone who can see my apartment that I have guns with me.

Now that I look through my photos, though, this isn't my shortest rifle, strictly speaking..

I made a stock for my replica 1858 in .44 caliber, since it's not a firearm, and not subject to the NFA. Not particularly practical as a working gun, though, so it doesn't get taken out much, whereas the handi follows me everywhere if I'm going to be outdoors.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts