Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my computer geek friends. I'm tired of Microsoft, esp. Internet Explorer and it's safety issues. I won't use Firefox for personal reasons, so what 'yall think about the Mac? I never thought I would ask this, but with all the recent security bugs, I'm reconsidering.
Ben

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
This one has been rocking along for about 6 or 7 years.
The Dells we use at work have an average life of 27 months.

The Mac is great for internet and social media; not as good as a Dell for Microsoft Office products or complex programs.
Starts up quicker than a Windows based computer, doesn't require anti-virus software every year.
FWIW, I consider myself more of a computer driver than a computer mechanic.

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
That's odd FPH, most educators I know use macs.

Is your wife a educator or office worker in the university?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Professor. Many of her colleagues have personal MACS. However, every University she has taught at have used Microsoft based PCs for official business.

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
As for the browsers if IE and firefox have you down maybe check out google chrome, Safari or Opera as a browser and see if any of them are better to you. Who knows maybe even try to run Linux as an operating system instead of windows on your windows computer and see if you like it better.

As for mac vs. pc, as already stated the lifespan of macs seems a lot longer. The macbook pro I'm using now is at least 10 years old, I bought it used on ebay 4 years ago. Lenovo was the one before, it lasted 3 years, HP, 1 year and change and compaq 2 years all mid level laptops when I bought them in the 4-500 range. I just bought a newer used mac laptop a little while back to run some programs faster. The 10 year old one is fast enough for here and youtube.

No viruses or anything so far with the macs. No registry errors, unexplained crashes, lock ups or any of the normal stuff with the other ones I had at times. I will say the first month is frustrating figuring out the controls but its a little simpler after you get the hang of it. I don't think it would be as big of a transition now since windows 7 and 8 has a floating taskbar like macs dock to choose programs with. Just the same would suggest Linux and Safari on windows first to see if it makes it a better option for you with less trouble. Then when your laptop finally gives up the ghost or if still unbearable with linux then get a mac if you think it would be better for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts