Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to dave Corbin a few years ago concerning this, however there was no interest on his part. A picture is worth a 1000 words and when it comes to swaging a vedio would be worth all the books written on the subject.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I did the same.

When I first got my equipment, I had a lot of problems in making jackets, and asked Corbin to tape one of his people using the equipment to see if I could identify what I was doing wrong. He expressed casual interest, but never actually offered to tape the process.

Maybe someone here who is very adept at the process (Talon - are you listening?) could make and market a tape for beginners.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
The more you think about this the more marketable it appears. While bullet swaging was more in the limelight several years ago (c1943-70), fewer folks are interested in it now because of several factors, one of which being that the mode of advertising has changed. Few people seem to read anymore, but video induced sales have gone off the scales! A picture, especially one that moves and talks, is worth a thousand printed words!
A few 'technical' problems would be the several different brands and various upgrades of tools out there currently being used and/or for sale. Also, while Mr Corbin (for one or two) doesn't think it's wortwhile to make the film I would think he (they) would be the first to ask the producer to get an OK if Corbin tools were shown. Not only ask, but supervise in one way or another, just how the tools were shown/described in use. The same can be said of the CH-4D and RCBS organizations.
I THINK it would be OK for one of us to vidiotape bullet swaging procedures on their own set of tools and send that tape around...for free... to those who would be interested. Let's see... there's about 7 sequences I could do: making a lead bullet (LSWC) with a mity mite; with a CSP-1; Making a Jacketed bullet using the 3 die system w/both types of presses; Tube jacket forming and reducing w/the 2 presses; lead wire production with the Hydro junior; Reducing bullets and jackets. Then there's the Rebated Boat tail operation, multiple jacket configuration, serated jackets and on and on. Boy, this thing could grow into a full blown 3 hour tape. And then the Corbins would HAVE to step in to correct all of my mistakes and do what they should have done several years ago: make the tape and use it as pre-sale bait.
My big failing is that I don't have some of the more recent tool designs now being sold. 8)

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Perhaps a place to start would be to post a few MPEGs that could be downloaded. Perhaps GB would spring for hosting it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
:D

I know in certain areas I’m fairly dense. :? But I found that looking at the dies and punches and fitting them into the press I was able to make, what seemed like an impossible task, sense out of the whole set. I’m not trying to brag or anything, but to me there is nothing to it now after a few hours each day for several days, my first set was quite complex, with all it could do. And now it seems like child’s play. :wink:

But if you all feel the need to have a video of the process I will gladly host it on my own web site, provided it is done fairly well. I will even check into making it myself unless some one else really wants to do it. In fact I’m thinking it might even be fun to do. :-D

Donna

·
Registered
978 Posts
making a video

talon said:
The more you think about this the more marketable it appears. While bullet swaging was more in the limelight several years ago (c1943-70), fewer folks are interested in it now because of several factors, one of which being that the mode of advertising has changed. Few people seem to read anymore, but video induced sales have gone off the scales! A picture, especially one that moves and talks, is worth a thousand printed words!
A few 'technical' problems would be the several different brands and various upgrades of tools out there currently being used and/or for sale. Also, while Mr Corbin (for one or two) doesn't think it's wortwhile to make the film I would think he (they) would be the first to ask the producer to get an OK if Corbin tools were shown. Not only ask, but supervise in one way or another, just how the tools were shown/described in use. The same can be said of the CH-4D and RCBS organizations.
I THINK it would be OK for one of us to vidiotape bullet swaging procedures on their own set of tools and send that tape around...for free... to those who would be interested. Let's see... there's about 7 sequences I could do: making a lead bullet (LSWC) with a mity mite; with a CSP-1; Making a Jacketed bullet using the 3 die system w/both types of presses; Tube jacket forming and reducing w/the 2 presses; lead wire production with the Hydro junior; Reducing bullets and jackets. Then there's the Rebated Boat tail operation, multiple jacket configuration, serated jackets and on and on. Boy, this thing could grow into a full blown 3 hour tape. And then the Corbins would HAVE to step in to correct all of my mistakes and do what they should have done several years ago: make the tape and use it as pre-sale bait.
My big failing is that I don't have some of the more recent tool designs now being sold. 8)
Hey Talon, just jump in and do it. ( If you make it, they will come). At least every one will get the general idea. Yes I agree, these swaging companies should make a demo tape to go with their product, but since they dont there is a market there. I would even buy one off you. I got a lot of Corbin`s stuff and everytime I got a question, it`s long distance to get an explanation :roll: .Good luck in your attempts we are behind you, and we ellected you to do it.LOL :D Serious though I think it is a very good idea.
bullet maker

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
OK, but it will take awhile. I'm a snowbird, and won't be back to the homestead (and my swaging stuff) for another 3 months. Even I have questions from time to time and have found that if I ask either Dave or Richard Corbin a very specific question (via email), and let him know how I got into the mess to begin with, they are all to pleased to answer. True, it may take a while, but the answers are quite enlightening. But I make double sure I've read all the material I can on that specific procedure bfore asking. Their time is valuable, and i certainly don't want to use up all my silver bullets. Too, amoung other things, that's what this board is for: to help get questions answered. However, seven years ago when I first got started, I certainly could have used a video or two (or three)!! 8)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Video

talon said:
OK, but it will take awhile. I'm a snowbird, and won't be back to the homestead (and my swaging stuff) for another 3 months. Even I have questions from time to time and have found that if I ask either Dave or Richard Corbin a very specific question (via email), and let him know how I got into the mess to begin with, they are all to pleased to answer. True, it may take a while, but the answers are quite enlightening. But I make double sure I've read all the material I can on that specific procedure bfore asking. Their time is valuable, and i certainly don't want to use up all my silver bullets. Too, amoung other things, that's what this board is for: to help get questions answered. However, seven years ago when I first got started, I certainly could have used a video or two (or three)!! 8)
:yeah: way to go Talon;We will be waiting your return. I also e-mail Dave and Richard, but I`m better over the phone than trying to express my problems over the e-mail. So that`s why I call half the time. Anyhow enjoy yourself and we will be anxiously waiting for the video. :D
bullet maker

1 - 8 of 8 Posts