Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any hog hunting opportunities in Virginia? Supposedly there are areas around Culpeper and in the southwestern part of the state, but I do not know /have contact info.

Thanks,

deepwater

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I know this is coming in late in the hunting season, but I just got back on this site. There are hunts at Back Bay National Wildlife Reserve and False Cape State Park near Virginia Beach. These are lottery hunts and you have to register for them by the end of August. There is a population of wild hogs in Halifax County and have gotten as far as the western part of the county following the Banister River. I suspect they have worked their way up the Staunton River, too, but have not heard anything from that area. There may be local populations in other parts of the state, but this may be the result of escaped hogs, not necessarily self-sustaining populations. There is no season for hogs in Virginia, other than on Back Bay and False Cape.

·
Registered
63 Posts
also some of the hunts in va. at back bay or princess anne wild life areas will let show up hunters fill in when scheduled hunters are a no show. Look up va game and inland fish , get the phone number for the area office and give them a call for more info

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shootall2,

The hunting preserve hunts for hogs do not interest me. It seems that as a nuisance species hog hunters should be paid! (wishful thinking)

I will contact fish & game. That was a good idea about cancellation policy.

Thanks for sharing the info.

deepwater

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I went to Manassas for a funeral today and we stopped in a Southern States station near Remington ( that's just a little way from Winchester ) and there was a notice in the window about reporting feral hog sightings. I asked the woman at the counter about it, but she had no clue. There is a 4,500 acre wildlife management area not too far away, C. F. Phelps WMA, just on the east side of Remington. Either the Farm Bureau office in Fauquier County or the game officers at Phelps might be able to give more information.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Just a Florida Boy looking at the Map, but it seems there is an area surrounded by I-495, just north of Alexandria, VA, that exudes an overabundance of PORK. Happy Hunting!
Yes, but that pork comes from rancid, foul smelling beasts that nobody in his right mind would want anything to do with.

·
Super Moderator
11,140 Posts
I think the biggest drawbacks are their abundance, the ease with which they can be taken, there never seems to be an end of line, their ever consuming and omnivorious appetite for the hard work of other's...Oh! We are talking about hogs, right?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Was back in NOVA this past week and stopped in Clark Brothers Gun Shop near Warrenton. I was looking for ammo for my new K-31 Swiss. Surprisingly, they did not have any at the moment, but I talked to the salesman about hogs in the area. He said they have become a problem in the Culpepper area.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oldtimer,

I have heard that as well. Problem hogs are what I am after, as I would prefer not to pay "guided hunt fees" per hog. I can see some payment to hunt, win-win, but at the same time it is a service to reduce the hog population in problem areas.

The reverse of that is I have read that hunting disperses the hogs and makes trapping more difficult, the preferred hog control method of Game Depts.

Thanks for the info.

deepwater

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
I've had holes torn in my pasture fence, twice. The holes are about 2 1/2 feet in diameter. Hogs are the only thing that would tear the fencing. My farm is near Culpepper, and Princes Ann Lake. Closer to Culpepper. The VA game book says to report everyone we see. I do know we have a Black Bear in the area. Black Bears have been seen in the area by three different people. One sighting was less than 200 yards from my house.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Deepwater,

The problem is that the land and farms in Virginia have been divided and subdivided for 300 years. They are generally pretty small. Whereas a 200 acre farm is very common in west Tennessee, it is extremely uncommon now in Virginia. Most are 30 to 40 acres, or less, and almost always cleared open ground with lots of houses nearby.

When you do find a large farm, say 100 acres or so, it is almost always in pasture and full of cows or prize horses.

And, to top it off, virtually anyone who owns a farm that is at all shootable has tons of grandchildren, cousins or nephews who want to hunt, and they are the only ones allowed to shoot there.

I don't know a single person in Virginia with a sizable piece of land that just lets a stranger come up and hunt for free. It is virtually a thing of the past.

Culpepper is a beautiful place, full of open fields and expensive livestock. The price of land there has gone sky high in the past 20 years. In my opinion, your chance of finding someone who will let you come and hunt for free is virtually nil.

And then there are imagined problems, and real problems. In rural and semi-rural areas, a local farmer will walk into the hardware store to buy wire, complaining that a feral hog tore a hole in his fence. Maybe 3 months later, another farmer will come in with a similar story. These tales will be told and retold throughout town, at every coffee shop, gunshop, and gas station for months on end, until the story grows that "We've got a real hog problem here!" Sorry, NOT.

A real hog problem is a pack of 10 of them coming into your field every night and eating your crop to the ground, not an occasional stray. And you can bet that if such a problem really exists, the farmer or landowner is going to take immediate drastic action, not wait until a stranger shows up and asks for permission to hunt.

So, I am sorry to give you this kind of news, but this is what you are facing when you try to find place to hunt feral hogs for free.

Mannyrock

·
Registered
464 Posts
I lived in VA a long time and looked into it. Only thing I found were fenced preserves. From those statements above, their must be better places than that. I'd hope you don't go to a fenced hog hunt. I can see doing that if one is interested in learning and wants the meat. I had a friend with many walls decorated with exotic animal heads, all taken from fenced farms and captive animals turned loose before his arrival. The cost of those "hunts" and the taxidermy money spent sprang from his ego.

I bowhunted with him for a few years before I saw that wall and realized his motivation. I used a longbow and wooden arrows while he used a compound with unnumbered gadgets attached to it. He took 10 or 12 deer to my one. He opened all hunting seasons before the actual legal date. He kept a record of his kills and numbers were his foremost goal.

Got off track, did I not? Sorry. Just hoping VA hog hunters do not hunt inside a fence for animals kept in a barn until needed to pay the gamekeeper.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts