Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to know if this .32S&W revolver was made before 1898, I know the record keeping was poor and they had a fire or two so an exact date is impossible.

I’m pretty sure it’s black powder because it doesn't have caliber markings on the side of the barrel. (am I right?)

thanks,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
GB, my Pop had one just like this my grandpa gave him. We did fire it with low level reloads. I am interested in what you discover. Now I'm trying to remember where that old revolver got off to.......

·
Registered
122 Posts
Maybe you can add a picture of the extractor...

I was always told that on older top-break H&Rs, that the early "black powder only" models had no "nipple" or extension on the extractor that engages a hole that is inset in the recoil shield. Those made after 1900 * which were for modern ammo, did have the extractor extension.

(* Or thereabouts... This may not help you get the exact date though...)

Hope this helps.

Old No7

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yup, looks like the "BP" style to me -- but that doesn't help us confirm the exact year of Mfg'd.

Old No7

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
It is an "Automatic Ejecting, 2nd Model, 1st Variation". (the patent date on the top determine the variation)

It was made between 1890 and 1892. It is chambered in .32S&W(the short one) and is a blackpowder only gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts