Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on e-bay, precious little information given, even though the seller says they have more. Is this authentic or a replica? Apparently has no markings.

·
7,166 Posts
The first item of concern for me is the bulbous cascable, next is the on-center trunnions, and finally, the relative lack of ornamentation all point to at least it not being a Revolutionary War piece.

But I am not much of a historian of old artillery and you should wait for cannonmn's analysis for a more well founded report.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I am suspect, not because I know anything about the cannon. It is listed for $15k. If you are going to list an authentic antique for that amount, seems you would provide some provenance besides just saying you know the family history and where it was seized from the British. Seems you would have provided the name of the family and the name of the ship so it could be verified.

Not trying to be snotty here, but there are a lot of grammatical errors which causes me concern when trying to sell something at this price. Just seems to me that it you’re listing a legitimate piece of Revolutionary War history for $15k, you would have had someone read your description over to double check accuracy.

Lastly, wouldn’t a British gun have had markings? Royal Cypher, Broad Arrow, etc.?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Reply from seller when asked for provenance:

Oh the name of the family came from it is an oral history it is an oral history I do not know the name of the ship if chip or the day was sunk I'm sure it can be something that can be looked up can be looked up in either the city of Milford or or New Haven archives during during the Revolutionary War I myself do not have the time to do it I've had a quite a long time and I know the Name of the family that came fromIt is an unaltered cannon and a very nice piece of history

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would not invest $15K based on the written description, the reply from the seller, and the lack of provenance. Period.

The guy is just saying: "Trust me. I have had it a long time, never researched it, so give me your money."

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am always curious and puzzled when I see supposed "antique" full-sized cannons listed at high prices on e-bay. Almost always, they have dubious "descriptions" that are questionable, to say the least. If they are really what they say, why don't the sellers go to some of the big auction houses instead? Like so many others, this one has major red flags all over it. Seller claims to know details, but when actually asked specific questions, then says they don't really know at all! Probably a modern replica?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought so, thanks for clearing that up! I would pay $15 for it, but then there would be the shipping.........

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
I got an email from fleabay saying that the auction was coming to a close and to bid if I wanted it. When I checked nobody had bid on it and it was closed. Yepper, buyer beware for sure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts