Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think primers are out to get me.

First thing, I'm loading a bunch of 9mm, which was once fired brass from the LGS. Turns out I didn't look close enough, because about 400 of them had marks from either a primer feeder... or it looks like someone tried to punch large pistrol primers in them... But that made a ring around the primer pocket, so my primers kept catching in those rings. Needless to say.. chamfering 400 primer pockets isn't the way I wanted to start my day.

If you are never going to do this in your life... don't do it.
Had a casing move in the shell holder, when to move it with my finger.. of course I kept the ram moving like an idiot to size and decap, finger slipped on top of the case... decapper pin right through my finger nail!! I thought I was going to die. Usually I'm really careful about this stuff... but everyone has to play the idiot sometime?

Just after that, getting a new box of small pistol primers... the plastic falls out of the sleeve... and I have to find 100 primers under the bench....

And now... run out of small pistol primers... have to wait till I go to anchorage to get more.

I think I better quit while I'm behind for the day...

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
Ouch, that had to hurt. Hope it was not your trigger finger.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Sounds like you had military brass which has a crimp on the primer. A few folks make a tool that removes the crimp. I use one by RCBS that mounts on the press. It's a one time fix, once done you don't have to do it again.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The RCBS primer pocket swager combo tool will take care of the crimped primer pockets.

Alcohol free beverages will help with the rest :D

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Dang Corb you been experiencing some pain the last couple months. Didn't you take a chain saw to your foot a little while back? I've not caught the decapper on my thumb but have been a little too quick with the ram a couple times - mostly loading 9mm like you - hate those teeny cases and I have small fingers. If I loaded 9mm more often I WOULD get a progressive.

Hope you heal up ok that must have hurt a bunch!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts