Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter brought one of her new friends home today for dinner. I suppose it was bound to happen that one of her friends would get me to think "Oh My God!"

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
OK Questor, where is the rest of the story?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I used to work for a guy that would make comments about young ladies that were just out of high school, he hated it when I reminded him other guys were saying the same things as him, only about his daughters

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry. I am remiss. I made the original post in a state of shock.

Her friend is another girl, one year older than her (16). This girl clashes a bit with the upbringing my daughter has had. She has a current boy friend (OK), but she refers to her old boy friends as all of her ex-es. She tends to blame teachers for giving bad grades. Her cell phone is always getting text messages and calls from various boy friends that she corresponds with by cell phone or e-mail, including one guy of unknown age in Japan and several in other states. She was describing one of her family dogs as always trying to "hump" her. Last year she was 15 and went with a senior to the senior prom. Maybe none of this seems very shocking to you and you're wondering what I'm concerned about, but it was truly quite unusual for me.

Where's that rosary!?! I'm gonna have to count beads for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Skyler went to Catholic school till he was a junior. When he transfered to public school and Michelle and I went to the first hockey meeting at the high school. We were in shock with the way the girls were dressing, and all the face metal.

Sky dates some girls from the University now but he still does not date ones with face metal or tattoos. He thinks the dreadlocks are disgusting. Skyler is a body builder and has massive chest and shoulders. Girls are always coming up and sitting near him, or trying to start a conversation, to try and get his attention. He is soft spoken, quite, respectful, and tolerant, except to the girls with dreadlocks. He gives them a disgusted look and says out loud, "Wash your stinking hair, stay away from me"!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
When daughter was 16, first Rexall cowboy showed up at the gate and honked the horn on his pickup truck. He gets to meet Gun Runner with a S/S 12 ga. opened his hood and cut his horn wires, busted out both head lights, asked him if he knew how to get back down the dirt road at night and how to get to the road leading to town. Told him if he ever showed up at my gate again would bury the P/U with the back hoe, and if he wasant fast enough he could wind up with it. Daughter was alittle upset for a while, then wanna be cowboy got busted for drugs and became a guest of the state for a couple of years. After he got out he moved far away.(probably best thing for his health record) Her husban now still calls me sir and offers a handshake when comming or leaving. He has watched me shoot also.

Gun
runner

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
hard to take a hard line when the x has a lawer

she bought the keg for them once when they got arrested

i was not their favorite parent back then

i did the best i could

it all turned out good finally but had my doughts at times

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sourdough said:
Skyler went to Catholic school till he was a junior. When he transfered to public school and Michelle and I went to the first hockey meeting at the high school. We were in shock with the way the girls were dressing, and all the face metal.

Sky dates some girls from the University now but he still does not date ones with face metal or tattoos. He thinks the dreadlocks are disgusting. Skyler is a body builder and has massive chest and shoulders. Girls are always coming up and sitting near him, or trying to start a conversation, to try and get his attention. He is soft spoken, quite, respectful, and tolerant, except to the girls with dreadlocks. He gives them a disgusted look and says out loud, "Wash your stinking hair, stay away from me"!
Yeah, there isn't anything hotter than having a tackle box on your face. ;D

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Questor said:
Sorry. I am remiss. I made the original post in a state of shock.

Her friend is another girl, one year older than her (16). This girl clashes a bit with the upbringing my daughter has had. She has a current boy friend (OK), but she refers to her old boy friends as all of her ex-es. She tends to blame teachers for giving bad grades. Her cell phone is always getting text messages and calls from various boy friends that she corresponds with by cell phone or e-mail, including one guy of unknown age in Japan and several in other states. She was describing one of her family dogs as always trying to "hump" her. Last year she was 15 and went with a senior to the senior prom. Maybe none of this seems very shocking to you and you're wondering what I'm concerned about, but it was truly quite unusual for me.

Where's that rosary!?! I'm gonna have to count beads for a couple of hours.
That's a prime example of why we need to be parents first not friends to our children. My daughter invited a friend (girl) over to dinner and it was a very similar situation. Needless to say she has never come back to our house. With my only child being a 17 year old daughter I run a tight ship. I encourage open communication and playing by the rules. Most of all I remind her how special she is to us and when I scrutinize a boy to the point the boy is intimidated; well that's just because he's starting from a position of not being good enough for her to begin with.

Questor I wish you all the best.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heavy C:

I'm gonna need all the best wishes I can get. Neither of my kids has started dating yet. Our rule is: no dating until age 16. My son is 17 and I encourage him to go on dates, but he's been happy with social functions at school and church. He's talking more with girls on the phone lately, so it's just a matter of time for him.

My daughter is socially more complex, which is a good thing. But more pitfalls are exposed too. It'll be interesting to see how things go when they both start dating.

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
Questor, Ole Pardner, you have just begun to see things, and folk, that you don't wanna see and wonder where you went wrong. It comes with the territory is all I can say!

Don't let it go unnoticed and do comment about it is all! Its your home and your daughter and family, make your thoughts and wishes known. That being said there ain't much you can do about her friends, cause she picks em, you may find that sometimes one will show up just to see how you react!

Good luck Pard!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bill Engvall told his daughter's date:

"That there is my only daughter, my pride and joy. And before you get any thoughts about holding hands or kissing, remember this: I don't mind going back to prison!"

My only daughter is 3 1/2 years old and it scares me to death to think that one day she might grow up and become a teenager.

Plus, this guy said it best.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/3456/h_rulesdating.html

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
My girls are grown and long gone from home, but I still remember those days. I could usually solve the problem by just sitting in the same room and sharpening my bowie knife. Then daughter #1 brough home a green beret who said, "wow, cool knife"! I gave him the knife last year, as he now has a daughter who is 12 going on 22.

Daughter #2 got terribly grieved with me for sending some of her buddies packing, but she wound up marrying military too. Some of the wussie boys she brought home at first really had me worried.

Hang tough, it's a crazy world out there, just make them all thing you're just a little bit crazier!!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
14,631 Posts
used to be that girls weren't allowed to date unless they had reached the minimum legal age to get married.......................just in case a shotgun was necessary to clinch the deal ;D

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
not to upset anyone

but those boys only want to do with your daughter
what you wanted to do with your daughters mother
i quess thats what scares us so much
if not for my daughters poor choises i wouldn't have a cute grand daughter
some little toddler today will be lusting after her before we know it
and it won't be long till the cycle repeats itself

with out this drive we would have long been extinct

life is interesting and contradictory

with out the drive to protect our own we also would have long been extinct
keep it all in balence

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
45-70.gov said:
not to upset anyone

but those boys only want to do with your daughter
what you wanted to do with your daughters mother
i quess thats what scares us so much
if not for my daughters poor choises i wouldn't have a cute grand daughter
some little toddler today will be lusting after her before we know it
and it won't be long till the cycle repeats itself

with out this drive we would have long been extinct

life is interesting and contradictory

with out the drive to protect our own we also would have long been extinct
keep it all in balence
A very wise and reasoned view IMHO. Go back as far as you want and every generation thinks that the new one will ruin the world. We still haven't made it there yet :).

My oldest niece is now 15 months old (#2 from my sister is only 3 months behind), and my brother (who had some "colorful" teenage years) swears that "she will never do all the crap I did when I was growing up". Then I remind him about how little of all that stuff our parents actually know he did, and that when the time comes he'll probably know just as little, and that might be a good thing.

Best thing to do is coach them well and hope they make good choices, but realize that making bad choices and seeing the consequences is part of living, that your kids are going to do a ton of stuff that you never find out about that will make your head spin, and that in the end it will probably work out fine. Parents and kids have been thinking each other "just don't understand" for all of history :). Both parties are right, and both are wrong, all at the same time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.