Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DMs new shooting house photos and the ones you other guys posted has convinced me to build a shooting house. I have 2 feeders behind the barn so I'll built it against the west wall of my barn I believe. Be able to view both feeders from it.

I'll tell the wife I'm building the grandson a treehouse. He's been wanting one. And he can play in it when I'm not hunting out of it.

I think about 8x8' should do. I have power and water to the barn so I can splice lines into my shooting house for a hose bib and a light and outlet. Got to have a coffee pot don't ya know.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mannyrock said:
And. . . you will have officially become a sniper, over deer feed, instead of a hunter. :-(

Mannyrock

Yes and since I'm handicapped and have limited mobility now it's all very legal in my state of residence.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
8x8 is a good size. when i build mine up north that's thee size i'm planning. big enough for me to hunt out of with my boys as they grow. but won't have the luxury of running water and electricity. but will have heat.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i'd build one or two myself, except for the
matter of those scarce round tuits.

and. . .not every property lends itself to the
classic dan'el boone creeping and stalking.
my own place is really too small to go strolling
around to hunt a deer. then add in all the local
road hunters and spot lighters to make for some
really wary deer. on my place, i have one safe
direction to shoot, to the west, and if i get too
far to the east, i'll have adjoining property owners
in front of my muzzle to either side. i can say for
sure that some of these wary deer in east texas
can keep a hundred yards of brush between you
and them. they don't all just stupidly wander
straight in to someone's feeder. leases i've hunted
at in the past required one to stay put for the other's
safety in that if someone is wandering around,
they may inadvertently cross into someone's
line of fire that was previously known to be clear
for a safe shot, or they may take a shot toward
someone they cannot clearly see, maybe someone
just on the other side of a line of trees. there are
really too many scenarios to list, but i think the
idea has been put forth.
it's better to be safe and sit still in one place sometimes.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Like goldy locks I have and tried a 4X4' blind. Is ok and real easy to heat with a back pack duel fuel stove. But my knees find it a bit cramped for more than a day at a time. Have a 4x6' and it is not so easy to heat but I can stretch my legs out in it. Have a 4x5' and it is almost perfect but I have a 5x5 that is right there at perfect.
Not many places in Michigan you can stalk deer most places are find a place and sit against a tree build a brush blind or a permeant blind. If you buy the right one with flaps over the zippers those portable blinds are OK too.
If it is legal to shoot over bait and you wish then do it. Be aware that most bucks will be the year and a half old ones.

:D Al

·
Registered
991 Posts
8x8, nice size to hunt from, heck you could even take a nap with room like that...

Post some photos as you put it up. 8)

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
Yep we will have to have pics!

Being able to stand upright is a good thing. IIRC you are in Florida so heat is not a biggee, skeeters might be! A quiet office chair that swivels is a must. one that leans back is ideal for naps! .........................proceed!

OH one other thought, Even if you aren't handicapped, walking in the woods during hunting season to stalk game is asking to be shot at! My last lease had 1200 acres and 11 guys hunting it. not conducive to fair chase hunting. Wish we were all rich and had 500 acres to roam around on and shoot game. ::)

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the shooting house project is on hold for this year. Youngest daughter in Anchorgage is having surgery on her neck vertebrea so we're up here to take care of her & her kids after the surgery..... Oh well like I tell the wife well do it when we can. No worries, no rush, were retired now..... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts