Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard good things about using JB Bore Paste and Kroil and wanted to try it on my new CZ 452 before it was fired. Stuff seams to work but after 10+ patches passed back and forth 5-7 times with the JB, the patches still come out black. Is this normal or should the patched eventually come out of the barrel the same gray paste color as they went in? Didn’t want to go overboard with the stuff before I better understood its chemical characteristics/reactions with the barrel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
JB is mildly abrasive and I think it will always turn black especially if you run it back and forth a few times. At least that is what it does when I use it even on what I think is a clean bore.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
No, perhaps you're confusing JB paste with copper cleaner. The copper cleaner cleans down to the steel of the barrel and nothing more. JB paste is an actual rubbing compound containing grit (albeit fine) that is grinding the steel of the barrel away. So it will come out black forever.
With a new barrel, I like to follow my copper cleaning with a few passes of JB until the rifle is broken in. (that's a subjective term but to me it means cleaning the copper out isn't a great chore) I run the JB thru the bore until it feels "slick" and then swab it out using Kroil or Hoppes followed by brake cleaner (the other day, I heard Windex is good) and then a patch of Kroil followed by two dry patches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts