Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have just recently bedded a current build with JB weld. Has any one else used something other than the stuff you buy from Brownells such as Marine Tex, devcon, or acraglass??? I would like to know other guys experience with this and how it holds up.....Love to see some pics as well as your experience with this or another alternative method..

P.S. When I complete the clean up of the stock I will post pics of it complete..
Semper FI
Josh

Attachments

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I thought about using JB`s, but read where it shrinks more than the other stuff made for bedding and your action will still have a small amount of slop. Let me know if this is true, it sure is cheaper than the other stuff.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Catfish said:
I thought about using JB`s, but read where it shrinks more than the other stuff made for bedding and your action will still have a small amount of slop. Let me know if this is true, it sure is cheaper than the other stuff.
This could be an issue and I will find out down the road I suppose. I did however put 2 layers of tape when I set it in the JB to make it slide in nicely hopefully that will be enough that down the road if it does shrink it will not be an issue...Time will tell... :) It gave me a reason to work in the shop anyway...LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I have successfully used on small bedding areas the JB Weld putty stick (looks like a tootsie roll), the kind that has the hardener putty on the inside and the mix putty on the outside. You cut off a piece, kneed it together for about 1 minute, put it in place, pretty thinly, press your action or barrel down really hard, tying it down with surgical tubing. After about 5 minutes, use an exacto knife or a sharp plastic knife to cut away the excess.

It dries really hard in about 15 minutes, super hard in 1 hour, and totally cures in about one day. It does not shrink at all. If anything, it wants to expand.

If I have really good fresh dry wood to work on, I have also used the PC "Lumber" putty stick, made specifically for wood. You have to use it the same way. This product sands very nicely when cured, just like wood.

Because these products are obviously heavier (thicker) than the liquid or gel accra-glass, you have to remove a little more wood before you use it. (You have to cut or sand the areas a little deeper where you will use it. (About 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch.)

Unlike Accra-glass gel or liquid, these products do not run or seep anywhere. They go exactly where you press them in place, and stays there.

Give that the large majority of bedding jobs are just a little bedding in the rear tang, and a little in and around and in front of the lug, there is simply no need to fool with the mess of Accra-glass for those types of jobs.

Hope this hlps

Mannyrock

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I used to use accra-glass and switched to their gel when it came out. I have always bedded in the whole action. I use a Dermal to remove a little wood all around the action to make sure it is well bedded. I have thought about the JB and a few other thing for years, but to para paraphrase Rangr44, if it works, don`t fix it. Still I like to try new things. ::)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
just want to track this thread for results thanks

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have used JB many times on my guns. Only used the standard two part, not the stick but that does sound interesting to have little to no mess. The biggest tests were on a Savage and Remington smokeless muzzleloaders with brutal recoil. Three stocks are still holding up after several years and thousands of rounds fired with top grade accuracy. So in my opinion it works great and cheap to boot.

·
Registered
423 Posts
FWIW, I prefer to use JB kwick weld for my bedding......installed a new barrel yesterday and used it to bed the new barrel just in front of the action. Stock for this rifle is one I made a few years ago and used the Kwick Weld under the receiver when I was putting the finishing touches on it. I prefer the Kwick over the original JB Weld. Yep, not as strong as the original, but sets up much quicker.....so less sag/run to deal with. I mix up small batches of the Kwick, do multiple applications......so, 30 minutes after applying, I'm removing the barreled action from stock and applying some more where I may need it. Also, I've less problem with what I use as a release agent with the Kwick. As to its durability? Have been using it for going on 6 or so years now for stocks I've made....have not noted a problem with it, and being retired, I go to range 2-3 times a week to shoot my center fire rifles.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I took two rifles to my friend in South Africa, '96, both Mod 70 SS in .338 and .300 WM. He simply put autobody Bondo in the recoil ug area and a couple inches of the barrel chamber. He then laid a sheet of Saranwrap on the stock, replaced the barreled action and screwed it "almost" tight. He let it sit 24 hrs, next day took them apart, removed the saranwrap, scraped away the excess and we put the scopes on them, shot them in, worked like a champ! Worked for him!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.