Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I said my 20 USH was my final build..... then up came a factory nickel 357 Maxi barrel and frame. I've long been interested in this caliber but didn't want to ream my 357 mag. For this build I'm going to ask for opinions on what stocks I should put on it. What say ye??

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I vote a factory straight set like it originally came on it. I just like the looks. I do have a thumbhole laminate on my Talo Barrel. I like the feel but for the caliber it’s kinda heavy. I think a handi grip stock set would be a compromise and still have a thumbhole style. I would not use a synthetic Monte Carlo or straight. It cheapens it up. Your dealing with royalty!!!
A carbine set like comes on a 45 colt would really look good.
Soooooooo many possibilities
TT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Skinny barrel? May need an older topper wood forend and straight stock or the old style synthetic monte carlo stock and forend which fits a skinny barrel pretty well.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im eying a straight blonde wood stock set. I'm also toying with robbing the stock set from Frankengun and putting something else on that one. It's shooting so dang well I'm afraid to change anything tho. Yes so many options out there....

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Perhaps because I keep no "closet Queen" rifles, ...but I have one Versa-pack left out of my Handis, and I have been considering redoing the stocks to appear like an old trade gun, decorated by it's Indian owner.

https://www.google.com/search?q=indian+decorated+trade+guns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMmaOM0NHmAhWtmuAKHeuPDQoQ_AUoAnoECAwQBA&biw=1051&bih=504

with brass tacks, some carving and other decorations, then creating a finish that looks like well aged patina.

Maybe a decorated knife and or tomahawk to go with it?

Not for everybody of course, but it would be a nice winter project..keeping an extra stock set for hunting use.

·
11,227 Posts
Like Dave mentioned, I would definitely recommend finding an older style forend that fits the barrel contour well. I passed on that barrel for the fact that I find newer forends to be a PITA with those older barrels. Between the contour and the forend stud being different I couldn't ever get a good balance of stability and a narrow margin between the forend and the barrel while trying to "float" the barrel with o-rings.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Skinny barrel? May need an older topper wood forend and straight stock or the old style synthetic monte carlo stock and forend which fits a skinny barrel pretty well.
Something like an old Topper 88 .410 stock set? I seem to recall an older skinny 30/30 barrel I had fit the .410 forearm perfect....

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I think the 157/ 158 forends would work with a screw in barrel stud. Not sure about the older models. Get too old and those would be snap on forends. I think the 58's were snap on. Don't know about others. May have a spare to trade if you need one.

I recall the topper forend screws have a different thread. 1/4 x 28?

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
My 410 22 in barrel has a unique wedge type of forend on it. Maybe because it started life as a youth before I added full length stock to it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Numrich does list the original straight grip stock and forend - a new repro forend runs about 20 and the complete butt stock runs about 40 so going back original is a real possibility. That would be my choice - going back original.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Numrich does list the original straight grip stock and forend - a new repro forend runs about 20 and the complete butt stock runs about 40 so going back original is a real possibility. That would be my choice - going back original.

What did you look under, H&R 158 ??

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I looked under 258 under rifles - they list several stock styles (I think there was a note that there were 7 variations) and several forends by caliber / gauge - it looks like the 410 / 20 was listed as fitting all cals as well as the 410/20 so I'm guessing that one was the one used with the combo guns.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked under 258 under rifles - they list several stock styles (I think there was a note that there were 7 variations) and several forends by caliber / gauge - it looks like the 410 / 20 was listed as fitting all cals as well as the 410/20 so I'm guessing that one was the one used with the combo guns.

Thanks!! I'll check it out.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

They list a 1/2" and 3/4" forearm screw. Which is correct?

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I assume that the difference has to do with the style of forend - I don't have an older gun with the screw on style forend so I can't be much help there - sorry. Maybe chuckduster can tell you what length the original one was? I think he used the wood off of that on another one if I read his for sale add correctly.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ohhh I missed that youth stock. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts