Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) Howdy! With all the advances in technology and robotics I think it may be better to send intelligent robots to Mars before sending any humans. Yes, it could still be another 30 to 50 years in the future; however, sending humans to Mars in the near future may yield nothing more than a short time for humans there with a tragic end. Would it not be better to send robots that can construct shelters and complete all preliminary tasks there before sending any humans to Mars? Your views appreciated! Always, Gene

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
You are probably looking at another 50 years or so before development of a robot that can do any meaningful construction tasks on something that remote (command time delay of 4 to 24 minutes depending upon relative orbital positions).

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
it probably would be better to send robots or androids..
but if they ask for human volunteers and im not to feeble of mind or body i'll step on little kids and old ladies and kick thier dogs to get in line

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
That's the plan, and BR robots don't have to be humanoid to achieve a mission like this.
Central CPU in orbit would do the trick in contact with the earth.
Prefab everything designed to slap together by them before any human arrival.
Maybe ten years from now not 50. Sitting there waiting along with all the other pre human supply's and fuel.
Like NASA says a 2035 manned mission, everything is in place waiting for that.
Gives us 20 years to have it ready.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Sorry, but the capacity just isn't there to do detailed work that may not go exactly according to plan without human supervision and the ability to improvise, and the turnaround time from earth to mars makes that unworkable. Even connecting modular units together is a far cry from simply traversing the surface at slow speeds. Imagine trying to align a hatchway when almost a half hour will lapse between commanding a move and being able to see the results of that move.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Laser communication they are already working on it. And NASA said within ten years we have no idea how much more advanced robotics will be in that time. They have come pretty far in the last five.
Do you watch the NASA channel? They are talking about this now nearly every night.

·
Administrator
26,228 Posts
Don't really see any reason to waste the money on us or robots going there. I personally just don't see a worth while pay back from such. Just a way to spend more tax dollars they'll have to borrow from China or Japan. Between the two they pretty much already own us anyway.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Argent11 said:
Laser communication they are already working on it. And NASA said within ten years we have no idea how much more advanced robotics will be in that time. They have come pretty far in the last five.
Do you watch the NASA channel? They are talking about this now nearly every night.
Insofar as turnaround time there is no difference between radio communications and laser -- both propagate at the speed of light.

No, I don't pay much attention to NASA's press releases (any more than I pay attention to PBS's fund drives). I spent most of my career involved in computer software and numeric control, and started out in mechanical design.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Graybeard said:
Don't really see any reason to waste the money on us or robots going there. I personally just don't see a worth while pay back from such. Just a way to spend more tax dollars they'll have to borrow from China or Japan. Between the two they pretty much already own us anyway.
That's what people said about The Louisiana Purchase, and the purchase of Alaska (Seward's Folly).

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Argent11 said:
Actually I agree with GB, we should get our own house in order before we go messing up another one.
If we don't, all this Mars talk is just talk.
The problem with that point of view is that we are fast running out of time and resources. At the rate that our population is growing, within 100 years at the most, we'll be too concerned with simply feeding and sheltering ourselves to manage any sort of space program.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Their populations aren't anywhere near what they will be in 50 or 100 years if the current growth curve continues.

This graph illustrates the problem -- the vast majority of the growth will be in the less developed countries.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Bear said:
Argent11 said:
Actually I agree with GB, we should get our own house in order before we go messing up another one.
If we don't, all this Mars talk is just talk.
The problem with that point of view is that we are fast running out of time and resources. At the rate that our population is growing, within 100 years at the most, we'll be too concerned with simply feeding and sheltering ourselves to manage any sort of space program.

I think it will be sooner than that when something snaps and we start seeing real problems. Like within 20 years.
But it's in our nature to expand so unfortunately space is the only place left to go.
And what's to say we colonise Mars, are the future generations born there actually Martians?
And what if one day they decide that they are fed up with the earth calling all the shots?
Mars is highly defendable she could destroy any incoming before they even got close. But so could the earth.

So it's a stalemate, the real battles would be the control of any space stations orbiting either planet.
And if those stations are armed it would become a priority to control or destroy them. As well as defending your satellites from attack. Technically it could also happen with any lunar colony as well.
This is a real possibly and would most likely really happen, especially if the Martians ever got to where they could sustaine themselves without the earth.

Nobody hasn't ever toyed with the idea that if Mars were habitable that they wouldn't want to get off this insane world. For their safety if anything else, especially if the Martians had constructed a constitutional republic like we once had. Telling the earth to go stick it and do not enter our space or you will be destroyed.

·
Super Moderator
11,143 Posts
would be best if we tried working out some technology/habitation/resource stockpiling on the Moon before attempting it on Mars. if we stop giving Hundreds of Billions of dollars to Third World Countries that hate us anyway, we could pay for social Programs and NASA exploration. if we stop the "unfunded mandates" for line items in the Federal budget (under the Dems that's a joke) of similar persuasion, we could all take a paid vacation and some of us old codgers would retire and make way for the previously dissolutioned to enter the work force as replacements.

Scibaer said:
...if they ask for human volunteers and im not to feeble of mind or body i'll step on little kids and old ladies and kick thier dogs to get in line

"You're killing me Smalls! Killing me..." LMAO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts