Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of small game seasons will open on Sept 15th. Always looked forward to the opening of Pat hunting. Was a passion I acquired many years ago, a gun shop owner that became friend of the family sold me a nice Berretta silver snipe OU 20ga. he said was skeet and skeet choked. I didn't know nothing back then except that is was a great gun for leaves still on heavy early season pat gun. Today after many years around the block I know it is really choked Mod and IMP. Maybe not knowing was what seemed to make it such a good shot gun for me.

I am now days looking forward more to squirrel hunting. Have a 77 22lr Ruger to start with and a Savage 93F 22mag for later when they get a bit more spooky.

Deer here are also starting to shed their nice red summer coats for the gray winter one. Lot of the fawns are showing very faded spots these days too. been seeing them eating the wild dog wood berries, wild apples and plums also.

Hickory nuts seem to be having a normal crop but I seem to think they have been falling earlier than normal. Acorns are just starting to fall, I think from what I am seeing the crop will be below normal in my area.

Turkey chicks are almost as big as mom and losing feathers like crazy to get the normal adult feathers. I have been picking up a dozen or so every day I plan on making flies with.

That is the happenings in my neck of the woods, how is yours.

:) Al

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I'm shootin to get out in the woods around mid-October about 2 weeks after bow season starts. I'd like to do some fishin and maybe pop a squirrel or two with the pellet gun before that.
Dove season starts in a few days, but I doubt it's in the cards for me this year.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
good luck to all you cold weather folks.
i still have to get a license for here. :-[ (had bills to pay :( )

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
i am going to run rampant this year. small game / birds / trap / deer / muzzle load .. all that and get out there as much as possible.. rain / wind / shine / short middle of the day trips

then, im really going to get serious ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well since the new law on having to buy a base license I am not going to sit on my hands when there are squirrels to kill. I am going to get MY MONEYS WORTH of small game.

For 30 years I would go out and shoot a couple squirrels or rabbits once in a while for a meal. Now I am going to stock the freezer.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
yeah that new "base license" system really screws some folks.
if your only going to be deer hunting they the cost goes way up $11 for the base and $20 for the firearm license.
i small game hunt anyhow , so for me its only $1 more total

but i totally agree with you Al. if you are forced to buy a base license you may as well use it and fill your freezer.
you may as well take what you pay for . i can also appreciate that the DNR and thier rules are making honest hunters become criminals just by making rules more and more restrictive without any real forethought and increasing costs beyond what many can even afford

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
A basic hunting license here is twenty-five bucks. But if you want to hunt migratory birds including dove, it's another $7 plus the $25 Federal stamp for ducks and geese. Upland birds including quail, turkey and others is another $7. Bow hunting will run another $7.
I think their goal is to get Everybody to buy the $68 Super Combo All-water fishing and hunting license. It has most all extra endorsements, except the Federal stamp. It'll run you another $30 or $35 to hunt or fish GMA's.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
It does suck , the prices going up. But I don't mind paying them. I ll spend 100 bucks or so on tags thru out the year, but I look at what I get out of it. Nearly 6 mths of enjoying the outdoors. Plus a freezer full of meat. $100 ,I could spend that in one night, dinner & drinks.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have to pay extra to hunt turkeys, Geese/ducks, fish for trout and Salmon.
Then you have to buy the fed stamps on the ducks/geese plus wood cocks.

:D Al

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found a dead deer today looked like it had been drug for a bit across the hay field and ate on. I will be out with the swift to pop any coyote that comes to the deer or my call no mater how hot it gets.
I'm doing my part to exterminate them.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Sheridan5mm said:
. . . It'll run you another $30 or $35 to hunt or fish GMA's.
texas aph is more than that. the last time i bought
one (2 years ago) it was $48.00 in addition to your
other license fees

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
that's a shame your going to miss this season .. but i hope your shoulder surgeries go well

i have a 3 inch cotter pin type thing in my stomach anchoring the intestines .. so i can co miserate

good luck and best wishes to you

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Ranger99 said:
Sheridan5mm said:
. . . It'll run you another $30 or $35 to hunt or fish GMA's.
texas aph is more than that. the last time i bought
one (2 years ago) it was $48.00 in addition to your
other license fees
Yep, you're right. $48 for Hunting or any activities. $12 for General Recreation, including fishing, camping, and other activities, but not hunting.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i didn't spend it this year either,
although i might after getting a
report from friends. if the w.m.a.'s
are still elbow to elbow with folks
i won't bother.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts