Graybeard Outdoors banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Water tastes great to our family; every other water to included bottled, tastes horrible to me now. Berkey black filters leave healthy minerals, and add trace minerals to the water during the filtration process, so you don't wind up with the RO, Zero or Distilled taste.

The Big is too small for two of us; we use it for everything that goes in our mouth. For five, I'd go bigger, and use all 4 filter spouts for increased flow.
Thanks. Sounds like we will be replacing out PUR. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Now for the big question. Best price on the berkeys? Where to get them?

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Now for the big question. Best price on the berkeys? Where to get them?
I bought mine from www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com. Right now the Big size is $278 both there, 911water, and from Berkey directly. I think I remember when I bought that it was the same price everywhere but BBWF gave me free shipping to an FPO AP address.

I did not pay the $22 for their stainless spigot, and got one from Amazon for $2 instead. Highly recommend it.

FWIW I think the Imperial size is the best deal (i.e. size to cost) at the moment, and if I had it to do over, I'd go with that.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Just ordered the big berky with two extra black filters. Was going to order the royal but decided to go with smaller for space. May regret that but we all have to make choices. I also have smaller hiking style purifiers and I’m gonna get a bladder type for light weight and seat of the pants type gettin out... Any advice on gravity bladders?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Just ordered the big berky with two extra black filters. Was going to order the royal but decided to go with smaller for space. May regret that but we all have to make choices. I also have smaller hiking style purifiers and I’m gonna get a bladder type for light weight and seat of the pants type gettin out... Any advice on gravity bladders?
Nobody? I guess I own this thread now...

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I’m surprised at how fast this unit filters water. It’s not like running the tap that is for sure but not a long time. I put two of my filters in and am saving the others. I am going to keep a couple gallons filtered in the fridge like a have been doing with (spring) water? I am thinking I can make my own seat of the pants unit using my spare filters...

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Mule11, We've not been disappointed with the Berkey, and neither have our kids and their families.

As for a bladder purifier, I use Sawyer; have the mini in my go-bag right now, and the squeeze as well. I've set up that squeeze with buckets, in line, on a 2liter bottle. Think its 10 years old now, still going strong. The mini has only had <50 gallons through it.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Mule11, We've not been disappointed with the Berkey, and neither have our kids and their families.

As for a bladder purifier, I use Sawyer; have the mini in my go-bag right now, and the squeeze as well. I've set up that squeeze with buckets, in line, on a 2liter bottle. Think its 10 years old now, still going strong. The mini has only had <50 gallons through it.
Thank you teamnelson. You’re experienced advice is always appreciated...

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Congratulations on the new member to you’re family. I like his enthusiasm and his crib salute.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I love my Berkey and find the big Berkey adequate for me and family as long as I stay on top of it. Thanks Team Nelson for you’re advice...

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I love my Berkey and find the big Berkey adequate for me and family as long as I stay on top of it. Thanks Team Nelson for you’re advice...
Awesome! We got ours from the movers last Tuesday, set it up right away. This'll be the third tour on the original filters - figure by the time we pack up again, we'll be ready for new ones.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I bought two spare filters with mine. Thanks again.. After they sit for awhile do you do anything extra? Or just fill em up?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
One consideration is number of filters . I opted for six but so far only use two as they keep up with use. If more water is needed faster I can add filters. As a side note I have very clean well water it had a slight taste to it. So we got the filter and now it is perfect. On a couple years the filters have not clogged or shown any sign of slowing down.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
For me after the schity ran water and sewer past my house our well water sucks. Have been buying store bought water for a very long time and not exactly satisfied but better than mine. All is well now. Thanks Team Nelson.... love the Berkey...

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Two filters and 60 gallons of clean water. Liking my investment and recommend it to all...

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
They recommend cleaning it every month. That’s a little too often for me but I shall maintain and keep an eye on it.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts