Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a text from the credit union telling me that my debit card was used in Kalifornia for $550.
They canceled my card and gave me back my money, but, I'm thinking of going to cash spending from now on.
I can't imagine how they got my card number because nobody has had it out of my sight for at least a year.
Of course if I go to cash, somebody may knock me on the head and take my money. :tango_face_surprise:tango_face_grin:

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I had someone take a trip to Hawaii on me about 10 years ago. I was refunded and the little ANTIFA buzzard was apprehended.

Carry cash Bugeye and one hand on your sidearm!

Or....I started an account a couple of years ago that has a $5.00 balance that is required to keep the account open. If I find something on line that I can't live without I just do the online thing and roll enough money over into that account to cover the purchase and no more. They can't even get the $5.00.

Wouldn't ya like to get your hands on that dude? You know take about $550 dollars worth of skin off of him!

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had someone take a trip to Hawaii on me about 10 years ago. I was refunded and the little ANTIFA buzzard was apprehended.

Carry cash Bugeye and one hand on your sidearm!

Or....I started an account a couple of years ago that has a $5.00 balance that is required to keep the account open. If I find something on line that I can't live without I just do the online thing and roll enough money over into that account to cover the purchase and no more. They can't even get the $5.00.

Wouldn't ya like to get your hands on that dude? You know take about $550 dollars worth of skin off of him!
I just might discuss an account like that with the missus. It would be pretty much foolproof.
As for the bad guy, I could skin him and render his fat and still not get $550 worth of satisfaction. I'd prefer to keep him for about 6 months and torture him to death.
I hate thieves and hate vandals even more.

·
Super Moderator
50,915 Posts
I just had my Wells Fargo Visa replaced because someone in South Africa charged a $7 video on the card, no notification was sent due to the low amount, I just noticed it in my online account which I check religiously, so I disputed it, and they canceled the card, sent me a new card within a week. I've had it happen before, usually for small "test" amounts, I think this is the third Wells card replacement I've had, never any money lost, but still a nuisance, but the cash back rewards they pay are well worth it, I pay several monthly bills with it as wells as any big purchases, then just pay it off the same month, much safer than using my debit card on my bank account, last month I got $75 in rewards due to paying for my new mower with the card, usually only get about $25 every month or two. Wells Fargo has been pretty on the spot concerning questionable larger purchases made on the card, I bought my wife a baseball size Swarovski crystal from a dealer in the UK, next day Wells called to confirm I made the purchase, it was way more than $7 tho!

Tim

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just had my Wells Fargo Visa replaced because someone in South Africa charged a $7 video on the card, no notification was sent due to the low amount, I just noticed it in my online account which I check religiously, so I disputed it, and they canceled the card, sent me a new card within a week. I've had it happen before, usually for small "test" amounts, I think this is the third Wells card replacement I've had, never any money lost, but still a nuisance, but the cash back rewards they pay are well worth it, I pay several monthly bills with it as wells as any big purchases, then just pay it off the same month, much safer than using my debit card on my bank account, last month I got $75 in rewards due to paying for my new mower with the card, usually only get about $25 every month or two. Wells Fargo has been pretty on the spot concerning questionable larger purchases made on the card, I bought my wife a baseball size Swarovski crystal from a dealer in the UK, next day Wells called to confirm I made the purchase, it was way more than $7 tho!

Tim
Even more stuff to think about. :tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
First. What is a basebal sized Swarovski crystal? And second. What do you do with it?

·
Super Moderator
50,915 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Thanks Tim. I will make sure not to show my wife one of these lest she gets any ideas. We all have our desires...

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
My wife wanted pearls. Had a hard time coming to terms with something that started out as a irritation in a oysters mouth...

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Women, don't ya just love'em.:tango_face_kiss:

Wait, men have their baubles. they usually involve blued steel and walnut and maybe camo though.:tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
829 Posts
We got Lifelock. Get notified of ANYTHING suspicious.

As for those girlie bobels...... I have to be careful bringing the little lady into the gun shop:eek:

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Like this one, but not quite as big, she hung it in the window, it's a girly thing, they just like baubles. :rolleyes:

Tim

https://crystalplace.com/swarovski-crystal-large-100mm-4-inch-clear-faceted-ball-prism.html
Looks like a high dollar target to me, but then again Tim I too have a wife and I love her dearly. She has some do dads around our house that weren't cheap and though they mean nothing to me they tickle her fancy so all is good! Some times a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do even if it leaves the man scratching his head!

Good on ya for buying her that shiny gizzee whopper!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Women! You just never know!

When we got married we were poor!
I could barely afford a wedding band, so a diamond was impossible.
When kids were all off the college, she went back to school then got a job.
Said guys were hitting on her cause her wedding band no longer fit.

Sooooo....We went to jewelry store to get her another band.
Harmless right? How much could they have gone up?

Well...After a band, another ring with diamond that had SN,
and those diamond rings that go on both sides of band came to $38,000.

Wow, I said we needed to think awhile together about such an expense.

·
24,482 Posts
It sounds like we've all had this happen at one one time or another. I got robbed for 300 bucks by some
punk who went online and bought gangster clothes. I got my money back but we never figured out how
he got the card number. The cops warned me about convenance stores where I'm not familiar with the employees.

And using debit at the gas pump card readers.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My debit card was hacked a few weeks back. No idea how the scumbag got my number but he or she did. Wells Fargo was very quick in spotting the bogus charges and locked the card down. Wonder if someone scanned my card in line at the store or had a camera at the ATM but I'll never know for sure.

·
24,482 Posts
It's sad that these thieves are always a step ahead of the bank security measures. They have tried magnetic strips, chips and codes on the back. And the crooks always seem to come up with something new. But some banks have been looking into finger prints and retinal scanning.

·
24,482 Posts
Guys, all it takes is one bad bank employee with any kind of access to your account. That's what the detectives told me.

·
24,482 Posts
My debit card was hacked a few weeks back. No idea how the scumbag got my number but he or she did. Wells Fargo was very quick in spotting the bogus charges and locked the card down. Wonder if someone scanned my card in line at the store or had a camera at the ATM but I'll never know for sure.
Well Texas, we just survived the telemarketers hoard. We can survive this.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
a few days ago i was getting the 232 sierra leone call-back
scam calls at odd hours, and got one yesterday.
i also got the text messages about a debit card with questionable
charges, and would i please text back my account number and
security code so this mess could be fixed ?
well phooey on those idjuts, i don't have a debit card like they
said i did, and i'm not near stupid enough to text someone any
info about a debit card if i did have one of what they thought
i did.

there are people of every age and race and nationality that sit
at every hour of the day and make phone calls and texts and
e-mails one after another trying to find a mark to swindle.
that's their "job", just like we would go to work at some company
for most of the day. i imagine i could come up with some unsuspecting
victim and swindle them if i were to sit and send bogus messages
for 8-10 hours at a time. the problem is that even if they're caught,
they don't get much punishment if any because of the prevalent
liberal mindset these days of "it's not a violent crime. why is this
person in jail ?"
THE VICTIM- THE VICTIM it should always be about the victim
and never about how underprivileged the crook is.
just me, but i think they should be beaten severely with a hickory pick handle

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
A hickory pick handle and a guy behind it that worked a real job. But then it would require a shovel also. Amen or for the religiously challenged (so be it)...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts