Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gun dealer called to say it was in and I was able to pick up my new Handi in .500 S+W. While there, a S.S. Rem. Model Seven in .260 also followed me home.
I have to say a few things caught my attention right off about the new Handi. The trigger is much much better than H+R had done in the past. Also, when did they change the style of the recoil pads? I was happily surprised to see that this new pad is much beefier than the old ventilated pads and having thought I'd need a Limbsaver, I'm now thinking this pad might suffice. The proof will be in the shooting. The finish on the hardwood stock is also much better than H+Rs old quality. There were however two down sides to this rifle. First off the rifle came with a broken front Fiber optic front sight. No big deal, my dealer called Davidson's immediately and they said no problem, they would ship a new sight right out. Secondly the forend spacer is crooked and doesn't align correctly with the receiver. Both of these issues are quality control problems. The box the rifle came in was intact so the sight was broken before it was boxed for shipping. Other than those issues there were no other surprises.
I'm looking forward to load development and some range time with this rifle, although I still need to order reloading components. I'm getting behind due to five gun purchases in the last month. It's been a great month! ;D
Don

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I have had my .500S&W for about 3 weeks. I ordered it as a accesory barrel from Remington/H&R. The front site was broken, before it was boxed as the broken insert was not in the box.I also had a 22-250 barrel fitted and it was loose in the box beating the crud out stuff. See what Brown can do to your box! I called Madison NC and they sent out a new insert at no charge,got in 4 days. The insert is easy to push out and back in. Mine is a hand full ;D with factory Winchester Platinum Tip 400 gr. pthp ( s500pthp). Good luck !! 26-t

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I usually always buy a box of factory ammo when I get a new gun to work with, just to give me a base line for my reloads. The only factory ammo my local gun dealer had was the Winchester 400gr. I took one look at the price tag :eek:, went into shock and decided that I'll stick to reloads on this one. Not that it's cheap by reloading standards either. I'm planning to try either CPB 440gr. or 500gr. cast bullets.
Don

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Darn!! Now you guys have me thinking. Do I need a .500? I've got Handis in .45.70, .445 SM and .357 max. Oh boy....should I get a .45 too? Decisions, Decisions..... This is a serious illness.

Pete

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Pete,

You NEED a .45! ;)

The illness is alive and well. My friend at work is planning a coyote hunt for our night season this coming winter so I'm already faced with the tough decision of whether to get a .223, .22-250, .204, .22 Hornet, etc......

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Doublebass73 said:
Pete,

You NEED a .45! ;)

The illness is alive and well. My friend at work is planning a coyote hunt for our night season this coming winter so I'm already faced with the tough decision of whether to get a .223, .22-250, .204, .22 Hornet, etc......
In my state, we can't shoot single projectile at night for coyotes....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Lazermule said:
Doublebass73 said:
Pete,

You NEED a .45! ;)

We must have the same law in Texas, thats why I use an M16 or a Thompson 8)

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm already debating sending this new receiver for an accessory barrel. I have so much .223 brass so that has me leaning towards a .223 barrel. Then I still need to decide which .223 barrel. So many choices and so many decisions.
When I ordered the .500 S+W last week, I had thought I'd put a laminate stock on it so I was shopping at Gunstocks and saw a beautiful monte carlo walnut blem stock for $30. How could I pass that up? They call it a blem, I call it character. I have the stock already sanded out and the grain is unbelievably beautiful.
Don

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
petemi said:
Darn!! Now you guys have me thinking. Do I need a .500? I've got Hands in .45.70, .445 SM and .357 max. Oh boy....should I get a .45 too? Decisions, Decisions..... This is a serious illness.

Pete
Pete, Naw, skip the .500 save yourself some headaches, your 45-70 fills 98% of what the 500 can do.

Now a 45Colt is a nice addition to your armory!!!

If we where closer, you could take my 500 for a spell and make your own decisions.. I like it, but getting it to shoot satisfactory is ... frustrating to say the least...

CW

·
Registered
490 Posts
Putting the rear aperture sight from my BC on the 500 solved any accuracy problems I might have had. After 12 targets at 5 rounds each and some stiff competition I won a local turkey shoot with it last weekend. Unsupported, offhand shooting was the rule. 100yds. Scopes allowed, any rifle. My competition was lousy and I knew it. I brought the 500 to show that the recoil was no issue at all. I am however, 6'2" tall and 235 lbs. My 4 1/2" group on my last target finally won it for me . 12 shooters with 30-06 and 270 the most popular calibers that day. Cost of ammo is not a real killer for me as I will go with patched jeans and silicone rubber on my shoes to shoot what I want, when I want , at who or whatever I chose. Good shooting, Guy

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
petemi said:
Doublebass73, I went with the .22-250. It costs more to shoot, but the ballistics are better. Around here, a yote can be 5 or 6 hundred yards off.......or 30 feet.

Pete
Usually around here in New Hampshire we don't typically see those types of distances but I have a few spots where a 300 yard shot is possible. .223 or .22-250 are my first choices.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
We have a similar law for night hunting here if you're a "shotgun" zone (southern part of the state near the Massachusetts border). You can only use a shotgun, rimfire or muzzleloader for yotes. I'm fortunate enough to be in a rifle area so that doesn't apply to me.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Guy said:
Doublebass: How are the coyotes in Tamworth? Over here in Tuftonboro they're getting thicker by the day. My best, Guy
Hey Guy,

Yes, very thick over this way, too. Not enough people hunt them. I'll try to do my part. I have a few spots in mind for the night season. A friend at work wants me to come down to his farm in Gilford during the winter to take some out. Otherwise I'll go up into the Ossipees.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congrats on your 500 S&W. I really like mine. You are so right about the cost of factory 500 S&W ammo but I don't shoot mine much (only 3 shots to sight in and then to use for the MS Primitive Weapon Season). I bite the bullet (pun intended) and buy the Federal Premium ammo with the 275 gr XPB bullet only when I need to. This ammo is scary accurate in my H&R, doesn't kick bad at all and is very effective on deer. The area, where I hunt, when I'm using this rifle, only offers a 120 yd shot maximum shot. So, it's ideal for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts