Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I agree - they look great! I love the look of the brass against the case hardened finish! Glad they are working out for you!

·
Registered
dad was a gunsmith, got lots of toys
472 Posts
Thanks , I agree about the butt plate but can not find one or anyone who makes one??
there is no one size fits all butt plate option. every stock length, and stock style would require a different custom fit butt plate.

I saw one guy on here made one a while back.
it looked killer!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how hard is it to insfsll the trigger guard?
I have not had one apart yet.
Well, I have done it twice. It can be challenging. Lots of tutorials on You tube etc. but sometimes it helps to have three hands(IMHO) When I start this, I tell my wife, and she goes shopping, to avoid the noise & colorful language that sometimes accompanies my work on these! You need a good set of pin punches, brass and steel . Some pins can be stubborn. Be certain of the proper direction to take them out. One side of the pin is splined! You will also need a slave pin to hold the trigger group and lifter group etc. Yo only need one. I built mine from an old drill bit. A padded vise helps alot. This is one of those things that takes practice & patience but is certainly doable by the average person. The hardest part with the trigger group is keeping it together, and lining up the release lever to hit the lifter properly along with the Locking Lug spring that has a bad habit of getting caught as you try and slide the unit in place. Just my observations.

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
1,510 Posts
That sums it up about right. I've done a couple of complete internal replacements myself. The video link in the FAQ'S made the most sense to me on how to do this. It's really not that hard but it does require some patience.

Reactions: Joe_Jeep

·
Registered
411 Posts
A brass butt plate will be pretty and pretty painful on those lightweight shotguns! Can you say ouch?
Beautiful guns, the brass bits set them off.
I agree 100% about the three handed cussing putting a Topper action back together. Did that just the other day.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Very nice, Snake! The two look great sitting next to each other. The brass really goes a long way accenting the wood and case hardened finish. From the pictures, however, the brass looks like it could use a little more buffing.
And a question: what's up with the cut outs in the stock just behind the trigger guard?
Again....nice pair!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very nice, Snake! The two look great sitting next to each other. The brass really goes a long way accenting the wood and case hardened finish. From the pictures, however, the brass looks like it could use a little more buffing.
And a question: what's up with the cut outs in the stock just behind the trigger guard?
Again....nice pair!!
I had to look at the stocks again to understand what you were referring too, "cutouts"? These shotguns are 100% original, no modifications (other than the brass) of any kind. The stocks have been that way since they came from the factory.? Not sure why they have the "curves", but as you can see they are identical, ie factory produced. As far as buffing, it could be the pictures but these parts are as smooth as glass and shine like crazy. The member who makes them does one heck of a job, IMHO

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A brass butt plate will be pretty and pretty painful on those lightweight shotguns! Can you say ouch?
Beautiful guns, the brass bits set them off.
I agree 100% about the three handed cussing putting a Topper action back together. Did that just the other day.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
YES, undoubtedly a metal butt plate will remind you every time you use it, LOL! That is why I have the slip on Limb Savers. They work well and of course can come off to show off the brass etc? Just my "vanity" coming through! FYI, The shotguns both have the original NEF buttplate that is in like new condition.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I could see the recoil pads in the pics but wasn't sure if they were on cut down stocks or not. Problem with making a brass butt plate is the fitting - even the factory butt plates are usually sanded to fit the wood, which makes it a true custom job to fit a new butt plate. I have thought about trying to make some by tracing the outline of the butt plate on paper and carefully transferring measurements to CAD where it could be programmed to be cut and drilled and even contoured and grooved somewhat like the factory plates but it would be pretty time consuming, not to mention hard to hold while machining. I'll keep pondering it - right now I have to complete the fixtures to make the barrel bands for the Huntsman as my next project. I think brass butt plates would be pretty cool -

Reactions: Snake Pliskin

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
1,510 Posts
I could see the recoil pads in the pics but wasn't sure if they were on cut down stocks or not. Problem with making a brass butt plate is the fitting - even the factory butt plates are usually sanded to fit the wood, which makes it a true custom job to fit a new butt plate. I have thought about trying to make some by tracing the outline of the butt plate on paper and carefully transferring measurements to CAD where it could be programmed to be cut and drilled and even contoured and grooved somewhat like the factory plates but it would be pretty time consuming, not to mention hard to hold while machining. I'll keep pondering it - right now I have to complete the fixtures to make the barrel bands for the Huntsman as my next project. I think brass butt plates would be pretty cool -
You get them barrel bands going you gotta hit me up! I'm in!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts