Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to start trapping and I am just starting my research. I live in east TN and would really appreciate advise from ya'll experts on how to "get my feet wet" with what equipment and what game I should start with to learn and how/where I should progress from there.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Welcome Zeke.
There are a lot more experienced trappers here than I. I like to use snares and cage traps quite a bit. They are cheap and easy to make and not as much has to go into setting your trap line up. I do run quite a few leg holds but usually just set up for drowning. Let the guys know what you want to trap and they can tell you what size traps, kind of bait and probably recommend a good book as well as help you in any other way you need.
A good place I found to buy from is. http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/

Good Luck

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, and as for what I want to trap whatever is easy for a begginer then build from there! Someday I want to trap it all but I know you must crawl before you walk and walk before you run

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Best things for many to start on are muskrats and ****. As you decide on what you are going to focus on,we can go from there. At the bottom of my post is my phone number,you can always call for help--or supplies.Sometime it is easier to answer some questions on the phone.
Welcome to the forum,and to trapping.
Tom

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks and I will be calling as I dont know where to start for trapping muskrats or ***** equipment wise and guidence as to how often to check, placement etc

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Thats fine,we will get you squared away.
Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts