Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about getting a 30-06. Well, I'm going to get one! ;D My question is should I send the receiver of my NEF rifle back to get a barrel, or would it be better to get the whole gun. The reason I'm asking, will it shoot better as a whole rifle than just with a barrel fitted for the receiver? I've heard pros and cons, mostly cons about getting just a barrel.

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
There's no difference, factory rifle barrels are fitted the same way as an accessory barrel, the difference is a complete rifle has a dedicated forend. I'm all for complete rifles if ya can't tell!! :D

Tim

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
I like complete rifles too...but...I would opt to send it in and have one fitted along with a matching forearm for your other barrel...and a trigger job done on the frame while there...I would not only send a note to Jennifer at Customer service telling her what you wish to be done..but...I would also .put a note in the box addressed to Jon...the gunsmith...asking him to work his magic on the lock up and trigger...They have never let me down...and has done an excellent job ensuring top notch work

Mac

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I have switch barrel set ups that have been fitted by H&R. But I am a cheap skate, I would rather have the whole rifle for each barrel. I think that is the way to go, if you can swing the finances.

·
Registered
756 Posts
what is the difference price wise in sending for another barrel or just buying a new complete rifle if the cost of complete rifle isn't much more i would get the complete rifle if and only if you can fit yourself i would find a barrel in classifieds and do it yourself.

Terry

·
Registered
935 Posts
I like to take more than one gun hunting (either change on a whim, or in the case of droppiing and breaking). So, I don't want the same action to hold 2 barrels that have a similar use (45-70 and 30-06 are both elk calibers, .25-06 and .243 antelope) so I do consider putting a .243 on the .45, but not the .25.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What is the cost for a trigger job and "lock up magic"? I haven't found it on the price lists. Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
Free when you send a frame in for an accessory barrel, unless the trigger is already 4-5lbs, then they might charge for the trigger work.

Tim

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm skiddish about getting just the barrel . If I opt for the barrel, I'll get a forearm to match the barrel for sure. At least I won't have to start and get ANOTHER gun locker. I've got 3 now ! I'd much rather have the whole gun, though. I priced a NEF and it will cost me $249.00. ( not including a decent scope). Well, I went to the range today to basically get rid of some factory loads in my 223. One thing for sure, my 223 don't shoot good at all with Remington. But with the winchester it shoots real good and consistant. I've got reloads made up for it in 40 gr. v-max and 50 gr. spsx. I just wanted to get close so when I tinker with it with the reloads, I shouldn't have to move to much with it.
thomas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts