Graybeard Outdoors banner
701 - 711 of 711 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Douglas,

was most of the damage due to the wood shrinking and drying out over time or was there structural damage from the force of firing this big a gun?

My base for the 10 inch 18 ton gun took some substantial damage during shipment which is going to require some filler, sanding and repainting. What brand did you go with?

·
Super Moderator
16,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #702 · (Edited)
This s is Kiln dried wood-fir. Fir is a soft wood, not a hard wood. Edges are a subject to chipping or splintering-this is a characteristic of this wood. . If you go back to my post number 695 and look at the up arrow in a circle at the end of Flagmans name in the quoted section, and click on it you will be taken to his original post. Look around there for expanded discussion on what we are trying to achieve. Basically I am going to use a penetrating epoxy to treat and soak into the wood to give it some strength-resistance against splintering and chipping. This two part epoxy is used is used tor treat dry rot. I will apply a sealer and paint over that.-

I have found no damage from firing and this gun has fired some substantial loads. 5loads of 1 LB, and a number of loads about 6 ozs. I don't think it helped during the move down from Montana we encounter a heavy rain storm And it sat over night out side getting. Compounded of course that the carriage was bare wood.

I am using Smiths Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer

Look for Minwax High performance Wood filler. That should work for your application. Stainable and paintable.https://www.minwax.com/wood-products/maintenance-repair/minwax-high-performance-wood-filler

·
Super Moderator
16,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #703 ·
I just mixed up some of this clear penetrating epoxy. This stuff is very thin and watery. The wood soaks it up like a sponge-open or end grain especially. This is a two part epoxy and I have two 1-quart cans. I mixed 12 ounces from each can, 24 ounces total and painted it on. This covered 3 sides and both ends of the two base pieces and the quoin. Cure time is 2days at 86 degrees. Tomorrow I will coat the remaining side and the perch. Then I will let it sit and cure until next week, when I will paint it.

I don't really know if this stuff is any good for my application, We will see. I can see how it would work with dry rot. The wood just sucks it up.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Thanks Douglas, I’ll try the Minwax. Good luck as you continue treating the carriage.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks Douglas, I’ll try the Minwax. Good luck as you continue treating the carriage.
Years ago, a close friend (Phil Seiglin, Safety Harbor, FL) had//has an original Ordnance Rifle. It's carriage had quite a bit of dry rot. He used a product Git Rot penetrating epoxy. It, when mixed, was a very thin watery liquid. He used it extensively, restoring the carriage to firing condition, and was used in many reenactments throughout the South.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Years ago, a close friend (Phil Seiglin, Safety Harbor, FL) had//has an original Ordnance Rifle. It's carriage had quite a bit of dry rot. He used a product Git Rot penetrating epoxy. It, when mixed, was a very thin watery liquid. He used it extensively, restoring the carriage to firing condition, and was used in many reenactments throughout the South.
Phil Seiglin also makes and sells friction primers. I have purchased hundreds from him.
Zulu

·
Super Moderator
16,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #707 ·
This morning I sanded the base every where I treated it with this epoxy. I still have one more side of the perch to treat.

I also filled a few more cracks with the filler. The purpose of the filler is to keep moisture out. If the wood wants split, it will split. Nothing I can do about that.

While I was in Afghanistan,Southpaw primer painted the wheels for so they wouldn't dry out. I set the axle in my shop vise and put the wheel on the axle so I can paint it (Thanks Zulu for the tip.)

Since I have been using the wheels I had to wash them first.

Question. How many sides is there on a 36 inch,, 14 spoke cannon wheel?

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Bicycle tire

Wish I had a spray booth. Brush painting these thing is going to be tedious, especially the black metal trim.

·
Registered
231 Posts
"Question. How many sides is there on a 36 inch,, 14 spoke cannon wheel?" Is A LOT an acceptable answer?

Tedious. As I was doing a stain / finish on my carriage wheels it was many, many steps for every spoke to get them finished. I had to get a bit creative but was able to hang them from a truss in my shop so at least I was able to stand and rotate them for every step of the process. Putting 2 coats of black paint on the steel tire was the easier part of the job.

You'll be done with yours soon, they'll look great!

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim

·
Super Moderator
16,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #709 ·
You must not have got your instructions from Michael for painting the wheels. He specifically said sit in your chair and move around to paint, I watch Matt's off road recovery on Youtube and they have old office chairs for moving around working on their vehicles in the shop. Sure they got the idea from our Michael.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Matt's off road recovery on Youtube is a great show. Wonder if he or Fab Rat ever build a cannon.

·
Super Moderator
16,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #711 ·
Paul on fab Rats has a lather big enough to build cannons. But what he does on that lathe, yikes! Welding sparks flying ever were or angle grinder grit.

Got one wheel painted. What a process that is . Glad I mounted the wheel on the axle to paint. Definitely going to need a second coat. Just checked I have lots of runs. Look like I will need to sand before the next coat.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Alloy wheel

701 - 711 of 711 Posts